View Poll Results: Should Kamala Khan be retconned I to being a Mutant?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 35.96%
  • No

57 64.04%
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Default The Elephant In The Room: Let's Talk About That Disney+ Reveal (MCU Spoilers)

Considering some threads are discussing it untagged and some are using spoiler tags I figure we should just do it here.

So at the end of the Ms. Marvel series it was revealed that Kamala Khan is in fact the MCU's first official mutant, complete with an X-Men theme during the reveal.

Since then, Sana Amanat has confirmed that Kamala Khan was also intended to be a mutant when she was first created, but due to the editorial push to make the Inhumans more relevant, she was made into an Inhuman instead. Given past changes to the comics world for synergy with the MCU (such as the re-retconning of Wanda and Pietro into no longer being mutants), that brings up the obvious question: will they, and should they, do the same for the comics version of Kamala? Especially given the already changed her powers from the comics in the show already.

Don’t really care about the character, but the only reason she’s not a mutant is for the reason you stated, the FOX film rights situation and Disney’s stupid push to make the Inhumans the new mutants at the time. So I say why not? Go ahead and rectify that wrong. F@&$ them Inhumans! Ha.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

On the one hand, I think it's good to respect a creator's original wishes. But on the other hand, being an Inhuman is part of Kamala's identity, and has been important to a few of her story arcs. And while it hasn't gotten a lot of focus lately, I don't want to see them upend this big part of her character. Especially if it's for the sake of synergy.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Considering some threads are discussing it untagged and some are using spoiler tags I figure we should just do it here.

So at the end of the Ms. Marvel series it was revealed that Kamala Khan is in fact the MCU's first official mutant, complete with an X-Men theme during the reveal.

Since then, Sana Amanat has confirmed that Kamala Khan was also intended to be a mutant when she was first created, but due to the editorial push to make the Inhumans more relevant, she was made into an Inhuman instead. Given past changes to the comics world for synergy with the MCU (such as the re-retconning of Wanda and Pietro into no longer being mutants), that brings up the obvious question: will they, and should they, do the same for the comics version of Kamala? Especially given the already changed her powers from the comics in the show already.
    Yes. It’s a matter of time before they make comic book Kamala into a mutant. The Inhumana are no longer a thing.

Similarly, Wanda and Pietro are also Enhanced individuals who will be revealed to be mutants.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I don't know about them changing Wanda and Pietro back. The easiest chance to undo that was to make Wanda a mutant when the Five revived her and they didn't do that. They also have shown no indications that MCU Wanda isn't a mutant either (if anything she's only moved further away from one as they explain her powers)

If it helps her sell more comics, then I say sure. She's a cool character, and I've enjoyed both the show and the book. I have to imagine tha putting her in the realm of the X-Men can only do good things for her sales.

I'm so-so on her being a mutant in the MCU and I certainly don't want her to be one in comics. The X-men doesn't need Kamala and Kamala doesn't need the X-men. Being an Inhuman may not be the most crucial aspect of her character but it's still a part of her history. We literally saw her go through terrigenesis. I don't want writers or editors to come up with a BS excuse for why she was actually a mutant all this time.

I need a more noncommittal answer like ... I guess, sure .. why not.

I'm really excited that The Mutants are coming to the MCU. Anytime I hear the X-Men '97 musical riff play I'm smiling big. So long as we get The X-Men sooner than later, I'm a bit indifferent on the how at this point.

I'm lukewarm on making Kamala a mutant rather than an Inhuman though ... it's fine I guess? It concerns me a bit whenever the MCU takes a huge detour from source and leaves me wondering how it will influence the comics going forward. I'm also laughing a bit on how the tables have turned against the Inhumans now that Marvel has its mutants back. I do think the mutant metaphor is probably a better fit for telling Ms. Marvel stories as far as intersectionality about societal prejudice is concerned.

So at this point, it's a guarded "we'll see" how this plays out. It was highly unexpected, that's for sure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I don't know about them changing Wanda and Pietro back. The easiest chance to undo that was to make Wanda a mutant when the Five revived her and they didn't do that. They also have shown no indications that MCU Wanda isn't a mutant either (if anything she's only moved further away from one as they explain her powers)
    Of course you neglect the part where she was made Magneto’s daughter again and now made welcome on Krakoa. At that point there were no mutants in the MCU.

Ms. Marvel’s first 5 episodes dealt with her getting powers activated from the bangle and the Noor dimension. Only in episode six did they reveal this was possible due to her genetic mutation, which is why the rest of her family can’t use the bangle.

Similarly, Wanda was able to use probability hexes without any magical training as a child. Obviously, due to her mutation.

Yes. I need Monet to take Kamala under her wing.

While I get that she was supposed to be a mutant from the start, I don’t think they should make her one in the comics.

There’s already so many underused great characters in the X-Men line. I feel that if she is made a mutant and if she falls under that umbrella, she’s just going to join the rest of them. I think she’ll have a better chance at being utilized without mutant status.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Astonishing Member

*therapist voice* And is this elephant in the room with us right now?

(Sorry. Couldn't resist).

Defo happy with the reveal. I asked Willow wilspn this 10 years ago and she said the same thing

The Purifiers would work as great Villains for her

I’d rather her be renamed Ms. Fantastic and with The Fantastix.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Extraordinary Member

This kind of retcon are at best a waste of time.