Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That's good to hear as it means you're 100% cool with a multi ethnic actor like Esposito then as Stan Lee based Xavier off of Yul Brynner who was Swiss, German, Russian, Mongolian and Romani.
    Definetly something Romani about the name Charles Xavier.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Definetly something Romani about the name Charles Xavier.
    It's 100% fact, Yul Brynner was Stan Lee's model for Xavier both in his physical portrayal but also in demeanor. You can look it up, he went on the record several times about it.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    He could be a good choice to be a different Xavier we had before- not just because he's black, but because he's very good at playing cold, Machiavellian characters, and we'd have a Xavier closer to what he's been portrayed in the last decades or so.

That said, it's best to ignore speculations and rumors about casting, since that has both fanboys trying lucky guesses and actors and agents pushing themselves or their clients to get them.
    Ironically, one of Giancarlo's earliest TV roles was on SESAME STREET of all things.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

If you’re going for a black Xavier I reckon Lance Reddick is a better fit for a patriarchal but empathetic leader/teacher.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Perhaps rumor is too strong and maybe wild speculation would be a better term. However I’ve heard/seen some talk about this online. Not from any credible outlets to be clear so there could be nothing to it but the idea got me excited about the possibility.

Do people think he would be a good choice?

Personally I think Marvel would be lucky to get him and his acting skills are not in question. I guess the only issue is how much controversy it would cause. However I think an actor of his caliber would be worth it.
    Wow! In terms of making a great movie that would be an amazing pick for Xavier, though I like him much better as a villain. (And not Magento because race-changing a character whose backstory is a Holocaust survivor just opens up a whole controversy this project neither needs nor wants!)

Which dovetails with I don't think it would be worth it because the controversy would undoubtedly take away from ticket sales and possibly doom the franchise at the first movie. Simple fact is #GetWokeGoBroke, as Disney has already started learning. You can't piss off half your target customer base no matter how good your intentions are. You won't stay in business, and I want a dozen sequels of X-Men.
    Last edited by Ulysian_Thracs; 07-17-2022 at 10:47 AM.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    Wow! In terms of making a great movie that would be an amazing pick for Xavier, though I like him much better as a villain. (And not Magento because race-changing a character whose backstory is a Holocaust survivor just opens up a whole controversy this project neither needs nor wants!)

Which dovetails with I don't think it would be worth it because the controversy would undoubtedly take away from ticket sales and possibly doom the franchise at the first movie. Simple fact is #GetWokeGoBroke, as Disney has already started learning. You can't piss off half your target customer base no matter how good your intentions are. You won't stay in business, and I want a dozen sequels of X-Men.
    I don’t think GetWokeGoBroke is a fact at all. Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Shang Chi were all successful and the one that struggled, Eternals, just wasn’t a great movie regardless of the diverse cast. I see a lot of complaints online but I don’t think they represent half the target audience. Not even close. They are just a very loud minority.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

I don’t think GetWokeGoBroke is a fact at all. Black Panther, Captain Marvel and Shang Chi were all successful and the one that struggled, Eternals, just wasn’t a great movie regardless of the diverse cast. I see a lot of complaints online but I don’t think they represent half the target audience. Not even close. They are just a very loud minority.
    Then why am I buying Disney stock today for half the price I was buying it last year? Because their movies with 'progressive agendas' are hitting it out of the park?

To be clear, I don't care if the parents of a character are lesbians who kiss or whatever. But if you love Toy Story and wanted a sequel to the Buzz Lightyear movie, you're gonna be sorely disappointed.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Then why am I buying Disney stock today for half the price I was buying it last year? Because their movies with 'progressive agendas' are hitting it out of the park?

To be clear, I don't care if the parents of a character are lesbians who kiss or whatever. But if you love Toy Story and wanted a sequel to the Buzz Lightyear movie, you're gonna be sorely disappointed.
    Please tell me all the Disney movies with this progressive agenda.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    There are none.

It’s just some made-up stuff some people are using to attack Disney with because Disney publicly opposed Florida’s don’t say gay bill.

The jokers and politicians promoting this nonsense conveniently forget that Disney has routinely contributed money to the GOP. Critical thinking or any sort of research is alien to these guys.

Ultimate Member

I’m surprised people are still talking about “go woke” nonsense in 2022.

After Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Dr Strange 2 (which had over 30% Hispanic attendance on opening weekend), Wonder Woman, Shang-Chi and so many other hit movies, (and even series like Star Trek on TV) you’d think they’d get the message and abandon that embarrassing mantra.

This isn’t 2016. I’m not sure why people are still using meaningless buzzwords from yesteryears.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-17-2022 at 01:39 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Nevermind the fact that films only make up less than 11% of Disney's revenue.

I say less than 11% because films are only part of the Content Sales/Licensing slice of the pie with the rest being DVD and Blu-ray sales; music distribution; staging and licensing of live entertainment events on Broadway and even post-production services like Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I’m surprised people are still talking about “go woke” nonsense in 2022.

After Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Dr Strange 2 (which had over 30% Hispanic attendance on opening weekend), Wonder Woman, Shang-Chi and so many other hit movies, (and even series like Star Trek on TV) you’d think they’d get the message and abandon that embarrassing mantra.

This isn’t 2016. I’m not sure why people are still using meaningless buzzwords from yesteryears.
    Unfortunately, buzz words and fear mongering work. Facts are easily ignored for a large number of people (although still a minority in the grand scheme.) So the grift keeps grifting.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Nevermind the fact that films only make up less than 11% of Disney's revenue.

I say less than 11% because films are only part of the Content Sales/Licensing slice of the pie with the rest being DVD and Blu-ray sales; music distribution; staging and licensing of live entertainment events on Broadway and even post-production services like Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound.
    That’s the problem with a lot of these guys, they get all their information from ill-informed youtubers.

Incredible Member

I don’t know anything about your personal situation but a quick google search tells me that Disney’s stock is on the rise and is recommended as a strong buy with analysts predicting growth that outpaces the rest of the entertainment industry for 2022. So hold on to that stock.

Okay, deleted a number of posts.

1. Stick to the topic
    2. Do not insult other posters. If you think they have posted something that is a rules violation, report, don't respond.

So let's stop with the back and forth and get on with the discussion at hand.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!