Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    They're a minority metaphor, therefor they cannot be immoral.

Like Daken, who killed two people for no reason in his first appearance, and left a trail of blood in years since

Like Mystique, who attempted genocide.

Like Exodus, who tried to destroy Genosha.

Like Apocalypse, to whom gets attributed every natural disaster, and nearly ended the world twice

Underdogs can only be good guys, amirite?
    To be fair to Daken, he genuinely is trying to improve and do good. He's turned his life around and now works to save innocent mutants. And that goes with most characters; if we judge characters by their past, and not their current attempts to do the right thing and do it properly, then every character would be stained.

Characters like Apocalypse are intentional exceptions, because Apocalypse's methods were still seen as cruel. He was still seen as extreme and characters (aside from Rictor, who's obsessed with dick-riding him) don't like what he's doing. He's not like Daken (whos making a change for the good) or Exodus (who plays by the rules for the benefit of his people.)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Yes, they are villains because they are raping your childhood. Now close this thread.

I wouldn't say they're villains. I think Marvel comics are complicated and a lot of characters are also very complicated. I'm starting to think if you want straight up heroes and villains, you need to read DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jv565 View Post
    I wouldn't say they're villains. I think Marvel comics are complicated and a lot of characters are also very complicated. I'm starting to think if you want straight up heroes and villains, you need to read DC.
    Watch Fox News (insert own local propaganda channel here), more like.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    They're a minority metaphor, therefor they cannot be immoral.

Like Daken, who killed two people for no reason in his first appearance, and left a trail of blood in years since

Like Mystique, who attempted genocide.

Like Exodus, who tried to destroy Genosha.

Like Apocalypse, to whom gets attributed every natural disaster, and nearly ended the world twice

Underdogs can only be good guys, amirite?
    Exodus tried to (albeit forcefully through telepathic command) make Genoshan mutants and regular humans live in peace in an issue and was stopped by the X-Men and this was way before Krakoa was even a thing.I can't say the same for Apoc or Mystique..he also volunteered or worked with SHIELD to shut down Matthew Malloy at the cost of his life because MM was deemed a planetary threat. So I wouldn't exactly liken him to an outright villain..methodology may not be the best ,but his goals and intentions are pretty idealistic and pragmatic.

No, the X-Men team are not considered villains. They're actually pretty beloved in that book.

The Quiet Council, however, is effectively a Legion of Doom Lite. They constantly feel like they're one or two members away from approving awful B.S. "for the sake of Krakoa". This has recently been acknowledged by Emma, and was part of why she was so stressed out about the wider ramifications of it. This is why Jean and Scott's scheming to introduce democracy to Krakoa proper is so important.

Have you noticed how people confuse the X-men with the mutants? X-men were chosen people not just people with powers or a X-gene…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Have you noticed how people confuse the X-men with the mutants? X-men were chosen people not just people with powers or a X-gene…
    Well, for many years that X-Men was largely synonymous with mutants as a whole. Now that they have a nation state some parts of the fandom are having a hard time separating the actions of the team (which is not controlled by the Council), the nation-state, and the actions of the ruling body of said state.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Sphere View Post
    No, the X-Men team are not considered villains. They're actually pretty beloved in that book.

The Quiet Council, however, is effectively a Legion of Doom Lite. They constantly feel like they're one or two members away from approving awful B.S. "for the sake of Krakoa". This has recently been acknowledged by Emma, and was part of why she was so stressed out about the wider ramifications of it. This is why Jean and Scott's scheming to introduce democracy to Krakoa proper is so important.
    Well it seems that at a cursory level this team at this gala was not picked the same way or by willfuly participating candidates.They were handpicked and not by telepathic vote ,some like Havok apparently on a whim. It seems there was more to the team selection than popular vote so it seems like one step forward two steps back. As for Emma ringing the alarm bells that just has me chuckling.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I feel a lot of the actions taken by the X-men in recent years seem more like the work of villains rather then heroes.
    I wonder if you men the X-Men proper or mutants in general, because I think there is a good setup currently to see mutants become the become the bad guys now that they are on top and have the power. (Because how can they exercise that power without becoming at least somewhat the oppressors?)

And I've certainly felt some of the X-Men (Xavier, Emma Frost, and Beast in particular) are certainly not heroes, and at least two of them haven't been for a while. Frost is always out for herself, and Xavier never hesitated to hurt or sacrifice others to his 'Dream'.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Extraordinary Member

The problem is that politics is inherently anti-heroic by literary/superhero standards. Heroes stand for what's right at any cost, defeat their enemy and never compromise. A politician must compromise, must make unsavory alliances, must choose who gets certain resources and who doesn't. Politics is an obstacle to James Bond, Jack Bauer, Harry Potter, and Aragorn doing what they need to do to save the world or fulfilling their destinies. Even in the MCU it's the obstacle to Captain America being able to do everything he needs to do in order to be a hero. So by engaging in politics, by making compromises like politicians, the members of the Quiet Council act inherently anti-heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Watch Fox News (insert own local propaganda channel here), more like.
    I see what you did there lol

Mutants in general are just chilling and living their best lives in Krakoa unaware of the machinations of the Quiet Council which includes a whole lot of jerks (Storm, Kurt, Kate, Hope and Colossus aside, though the last one is compromised). Unfortunately the Quiet Council represents Krakoa as a whole. Then there are bad apples like Beast here and there.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

When you just wave your hand and say "no matter what truly evil shit you did in the past your forgiven now because your mutants" you are villains. That is some total racist bullshit there. There are so many evil mutants on Krakoa. Mass murders, rapists, thieves, and about every other form of vileness you can think of. It honestly makes all the X-Men look like the worst kind of hypocrites for working with them. People like Sabertooth, Apocalypse, and Mystique should have kill on sight orders, but because "we all mutants so you get a lifetime free pass" is just pathetic.

In my head cannon until they prove me wrong I still think Xavier is mentally controlling everyone on Krakoa to make them a big happy family. Just a subtle pacification wave to keep the peace and people like Jean and Emma know about it. Xavier has become Magneto.
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 07-17-2022 at 11:29 AM.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    When you just wave your hand and say "no matter what truly evil shit you did in the past your forgiven now because your mutants" you are villains. That is some total racist bullshit there. There are so many evil mutants on Krakoa. Mass murders, rapists, thieves, and about every other form of vileness you can think of. It honestly makes all the X-Men look like the worst kind of hypocrites for working with them. People like Sabertooth, Apocalypse, and Mystique should have kill on sight orders, but because "we all mutants so you get a lifetime free pass" is just pathetic.
    Seconded! Excellently put!
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...