Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman #800 Wish List

Wonder Woman #800 is less than a year away(barring another unannounced reboot). It will likely be another oversized issue. What creators would you like to see participate in it?

My wish list:

Cloonrad
    Travis Moore
    Phil Jimenez
    Steve Orlando
    Nicola Scott
    Terry Dodson
    Renae DeLiz
    Ray Dillon
    Ivan Reis
    Eric Luke(a Dr. Poison story please)
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Amy Reeder and Steve Orlando have to be there.
    Cloonrad should stay on as main writers.

Give Tom King another story, I'm telling you that he's the only writer that DC could put on the book to increase sales, and he writes a solid Diana.

I support the idea of bringing back Erick Luke for a Dr Poison story with Cassie Sandsmark, and William Messner Loebs should write a Wonder Woman story doing whatever he wants to.

(I think Amy Reeder should write and draw a graphic novel for younger audience as a pitch for a WW tv show. Steve Orlando should write a 6 issue mini series with a popular artist)

honestly id like them to not do another anthology issue if it could be helped. These 'lets do a giant book where a bunch of creative teams do several out of continuity stories' is neat and all, but id rather have one extra sized story that lassos in all the different facets of Wonder Womans world in a sort of celebratory issue

Would they even do anything special for #800 beyond some variants like #700?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Would they even do anything special for #800 beyond some variants like #700?
    The assumption is probably based on how issue #750 was a 96 page anthology wherin we had nine stories. One of which was the start of Orlandos run, one of which established an origin status quo that is still pretty shaky, and seven stories which were kinda one and dones.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Amy Reeder and Steve Orlando have to be there.
    Cloonrad should stay on as main writers.

Give Tom King another story, I'm telling you that he's the only writer that DC could put on the book to increase sales, and he writes a solid Diana.

I support the idea of bringing back Erick Luke for a Dr Poison story with Cassie Sandsmark, and William Messner Loebs should write a Wonder Woman story doing whatever he wants to.

(I think Amy Reeder should write and draw a graphic novel for younger audience as a pitch for a WW tv show. Steve Orlando should write a 6 issue mini series with a popular artist)
    Oh yeah more Gail Simone with Star blossom. She was a such a great creation and I want more of her and Diana together

I suppose well get one story with 20 pages tied to the main continuity (like what happened with 750 and 80th celebrations) and then at least seven or eight anthologies.

I ask for Cloonrad to stay, and these creative teams:

-Cloonrad (logically)
    -Williams and Ayala with a Nubia tale
    -Joelle Jones coming back to Yara
    -Tillie Walden
    -Kelly Sue and Phil Jimenez
    -Tom King and Mikel Janin
    -Orlando and Mirka
    -Stephanie Philips

I would love to see Nicola Scott, but Im affraid shell participate only with some alternative cover or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    honestly id like them to not do another anthology issue if it could be helped. These 'lets do a giant book where a bunch of creative teams do several out of continuity stories' is neat and all, but id rather have one extra sized story that lassos in all the different facets of Wonder Womans world in a sort of celebratory issue
    Aw I love the anthology issues! They’re my favorites.

The best part of 750 by far was the incredible Greg Rucka/Nicola Scott Cheetah story but expecting anything like that is probably just going to lead to disappointment. I genuinely think it’s some of Rucka’s best work on the character and Nicola’s art is some of the best of her career, and all of that is VERY high praise.

A more realistic wishlist item that I’d still absolutely love to see is another Gail Simone/Colleen Doran story with Star Blossom. I adore that pairing and we’ve only gotten it in anthologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    The assumption is probably based on how issue #750 was a 96 page anthology wherin we had nine stories. One of which was the start of Orlandos run, one of which established an origin status quo that is still pretty shaky, and seven stories which were kinda one and dones.
    Ah, okay.

Not really many off the top of my head for creators that come to mind that would be particularly surprising. I guess Cloonan/Conrad if it's the end of their run, Simone, Orlando, Rucka for previous WW writers. Maybe DeConnick doing a Hippolyta story or Renae DeLiz doing another LoWW short story.

Scott and Jimenez probably doing a variant.

Wouldn't be interested in King. His Batman/WW team-up is one of the worst modern WW stories and his story in the 80th anniversary issue was one of the two "meh/bad" ones
    Last edited by Gaius; 07-18-2022 at 07:24 AM.

Sadly I don’t think this is true. Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow sold pretty terribly (I think it actually sold considerably worse than WW’s main book) even though it was one of DC’s best, most critically acclaimed books in years. Even more surprising because Bilquis Evely is popular enough that her name should also sell.

On that note, I have no strong feelings about Tom King working on it but I’d love to see Evely return to WW in some capacity. She’s probably the most underrated artist to ever work on the monthly IMO, I liked her work on Rebirth much more than Liam Sharp’s.

Also I didn’t even consider a DeConnick story a possibility but if we’re throwing out pipe dreams count me in there as well

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

The only thing in any of the above I would disagree with is King's involvement. Evely's art was the only thing worth having in the Supergirl series. Other than that...I would love to see a tribute to Perez included. Wonder Woman was the one book, outside of the New Teen Titans, that he had the most impact on.
    Creators...if we could get a KSD/Phil J story focused on Wonder Woman...that would be heavenly.

Agree though that Cloonrad needs to continue.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Sadly I don’t think this is true. Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow sold pretty terribly (I think it actually sold considerably worse than WW’s main book) even though it was one of DC’s best, most critically acclaimed books in years. Even more surprising because Bilquis Evely is popular enough that her name should also sell.

On that note, I have no strong feelings about Tom King working on it but I’d love to see Evely return to WW in some capacity. She’s probably the most underrated artist to ever work on the monthly IMO, I liked her work on Rebirth much more than Liam Sharp’s.

Also I didn’t even consider a DeConnick story a possibility but if we’re throwing out pipe dreams count me in there as well

Bilquis Evely's art is the reason I didn't buy Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow. I don't care for her art and struggled with it when she was on Wonder Woman.

DeConnick would be another great choice for issue #800 though.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    The only thing in any of the above I would disagree with is King's involvement. Evely's art was the only thing worth having in the Supergirl series. Other than that...I would love to see a tribute to Perez included. Wonder Woman was the one book, outside of the New Teen Titans, that he had the most impact on.
    Creators...if we could get a KSD/Phil J story focused on Wonder Woman...that would be heavenly.

Agree though that Cloonrad needs to continue.
    Kelly Sue Deconnick is great for Hippolyta, but she doesn't get Diana. She can write her but her heart isn't in it. And that's okay, she's still giving us great content.

Kelly Sue Deconnick is great for Hippolyta, but she doesn't get Diana. She can write her but her heart isn't in it. And that's okay, she's still giving us great content.
    Has she written Diana much before or are you basing this on what she’s said about the character? The only place I’ve seen DeConnick’s Diana is in an issue in her Aquaman run and I thought she did a fantastic job with her.

I know she said in some early Historia interviews that she was much more interested in the Amazons than Diana but I can’t imagine getting super tight with Phil Jimenez and working closely with him for years without some of his insane enthusiasm for the character rubbing off on you (or maybe that’s just wishful thinking…).

Either way if they did somehow get her to do a story for #800 I’d be thrilled even if Diana was totally absent. But she’s probably the busiest woman in the industry so I doubt it’d happen.

One of the defining aspects of how she thinks about characters is "what is their wound". This is obvious with someone like Carol Danvers, Mera, Hippolyta, and even with Aquaman.

But Diana doesn't have this. Diana as a character had the perfect childhood, the perfect life. She is driven by enthusiasm. The only pain she ever felt when she was defining herself was learning that the people she loved, the amazons, has suffered greatly in the World of Man.

Kelly Sue understands the morals of Diana, and yes she did write a solid moment with Aquaman. But the core of her writing is all about her connecting to these characters on that level, and Diana doesn't have any personal grievances (which is actually a great thing, but isn't easy for some talented writers)