Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    It feels like out of the two of them Batman is always getting new villains. The Tynion run had a bunch of them, Zdarsky's run just started with a new one, and there's the big Court of Owls addition in the 2010s. I feel like that should be the bigger question, why are creators more hesitant to attempt new villains with Spidey compared to Batman? Is it the question of Marvel unfairly compensating them if the character blows up? WB famously gave Jim Starlin more for the barely even recognizable KG Beast movie appearance over Disney/Marvel with Thanos and his multiple huge roles.
    I feel like it’s not so much creators are “hesitant to attempt new villains”… as it’s been pointed out, there’s been many… they just haven’t caught on and endured long term. But I think there’s just more world building in the Batman comics in general. Maybe there’s more collaboration between different creators or just a greater sense of forward momentum with the books. I also don’t think this is a problem for other Marvel books either… the X-Men, Daredevil, Iron-Man, etc have all had substantial additions to their rogues since 2000 compared to poor Spidey.

Heck, we can even rewind the clock further to 1990 and there’s not that much more to show. The super popular Carnage, of course, and maybe Kaine even though he’s no longer a bad guy… and then a couple C-listers who appear very seldom like Cardiac, Lady Ock, Shriek, etc.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I keep forgetting Overdrive is a recent one. Probably the generic name.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    I'd begrudgingly say Regent, he wound up appearing in the 2017 Spider-Man animated series.
    So far Regent has had two major comic appearances and one animated. That's worse than Screwball.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That show was throwing in a lot of Slott stuff in the first two seasons, although considering it just kind of came and went by I don't think many people are going to remember it unless they sat down and watched it.
    Honestly, at this point, the Insomniac games have already scratched my itch for an alternative adaptation to the MCU movies, so I don't even worry about the animated series anymore. Isn't the next one supposed to be a prequel to Homecoming anyway?
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I don’t mean villains that have reappeared a couple times and then flamed out like Screwball, or reappeared after a loooong absence like Digger, or villains who had a huge arc that lasted years but we’ll probably never see again like Kindred… I mean villains who have transcended their original creator to become a regular Spidey villain. I can only think of two since the year 2000:

Morlun and Mister Negative.

That’s it.
    Heck, we can even rewind the clock further to 1990 and there’s not that much more to show. The super popular Carnage, of course, and maybe Kaine even though he’s no longer a bad guy… and then a couple C-listers who appear very seldom like Cardiac, Lady Ock, Shriek, etc.
    What you are essentially showing to yourself, or us all, is that it takes a lot, A LOT, to break out a new sustaining villain who lasts.

Spider-mans dominant and lasting foes were largely created in the first few years in the 1960's with a few notable 70s entries. Is there anyone besides Venom and Hobgoblin from the 80s that really matters? Who now is largely also a good guy.
    Like Kaine and Venom some of those 70s entries are now mostly "good", Morbius and Black Cat.

1960s
    Chameleon, Doc Ock, Vulture, Green Goblin, Sandman, Lizard, Electro, Mysterio, Kraven, Scorpion, Rhino, Shocker, Molten Man(C-lister), Kingpin(who became an all faces foe in the comics), Smythe/Spider-Slayers (C-lister), Prowler (turned full time good guy)

1970s
    Hammerhead, Morbius, Jackal, Black Cat, Man-Wolf, Tarantula, Will O' the Wisp, Swarm, Carrion

1980s
    Hydro-Man (C-lister), Hobgoblin, Tombstone, Rose, Venom, DemoGoblin, Jack O'Lantern, Vermin, Puma(is he still good?)

1990s
    Black Tarantula, Carnage, Shriek, Kaine, Spidercide, Cardiac

2000s
    Morlun, Grey Goblin, Screwball, Mister Negative, Overdrive

2010s
    Massacre, Kindred (Harry Osborne), Red Goblin (Norman Osborne)

2020s
    Queen Goblin(Ashley Kafka created '81), Maxine Danger, Chasm (Ben Reilly)

I'd say this wiki page might need some updating from the last decade onward. Surely there are more, even if very minor cause I know we are discussing longevity of new villains and the last several decades have been light.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

There’s no point in trying to make new villains when writers can always use the old ones as a crutch.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Most fun new addition was Paper Doll. Would love to see her used again

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Most fun new addition was Paper Doll. Would love to see her used again
    I feel torn about that arc. Paper Doll was a great villain in a terrible storyline. Actually the story was fine, but Peter was a paparazzi and MJ was sleeping with a movie star, so I guess my beef is with the characterization of those two mains. So usual issues… Slott has good ideas, but struggles with execution. The Marcos Martin art was beautiful though.

White Rabbit I think you could arguably count here. While she was technically first introduced in 1983, I would say that since the 2000/2010’s she has really gotten more prominent and has featured a lot more, to the point that nowadays I’d genuinely say she’s become a regular member of Spider-Man’s rogue’s gallery.
    Last edited by Nerdman3000; 07-20-2022 at 07:52 AM.

Fantastic Member

Of course, as was said, Morlun and Mr. Negative are obvious. Overdrive has gotten a fair bit of play, Slotts Amazing run, Spencers Superior Foes and Aazing runs, and the Slott cartoon. I'd love Fusion to come back with some changes to make him more of a threat, since Spidey knows his deal. I so wish someone would use Paper Doll again, a super-powered celebrity stalker with her powers can go several places... literally and figuratively.
    Last edited by t-spider; 07-20-2022 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdman3000 View Post
    White Rabbit I think you could arguably count here. While she was technically first introduced in 1983, I would say that since the 2000/2010’s she has really gotten more prominent and has featured a lot more, to the point that nowadays I’d genuinely say she’s become a regular member of Spider-Man’s rogue’s gallery.
    I feel like White Rabbit has probably had the most comic appearances in the past few years than she's had in decades.

The only thing working against her and most of the Snydicate is lack of media appearances.

Astonishing Member

White Rabbit had a pretty meaty arc with the Legion of Losers during JM DeMatteis’ second Spec stint in the late 90s (just before the Mackie/Byrne relaunch). A fun storyline that unfortunately isn’t collected anywhere.

She was introduced in ‘83 though, so unfortunately she can’t count as a post-2000 villain. But it is nice she’s getting exposure (even if they’ve made her more PC by giving her pants lol).

White Rabbit had a pretty meaty arc with the Legion of Losers during JM DeMatteis’ second Spec stint in the late 90s (just before the Mackie/Byrne relaunch). A fun storyline that unfortunately isn’t collected anywhere.

She was introduced in ‘83 though, so unfortunately she can’t count as a post-2000 villain. But it is nice she’s getting exposure (even if they’ve made her more PC by giving her pants lol).
    I feel the same way...like, she's a crazy woman. She doesn't need pants .

Real happy to see that I wasn't the only one who misses Paper Doll. I didn't care for Slott's run nor most of the characters he introduced, but I loved Piper.

Clash was pretty cool, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member

If we count Miles Morales, Starling and Aaron Davis' Prowler both count. Some would argue they don't, but if Black Cat counts so do they.

The super popular Carnage, of course
    And even then, Carnage has mostly been away from ASM ever since the 90's.