Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Young Hellboy: Assault on Castle Death

Issue #1 due out this week.

YOUNG HELLBOY: ASSAULT ON CASTLE DEATH #1
    Returned from their adventures on a secret island, Hellboy and the Professor move with the B.P.R.D. from New Mexico to Connecticut. The relocation is tough on Hellboy: is he just homesick, or have scrambled memories from the island gripped the supernatural whippersnapper? Meanwhile, word of Hellboy's survival has also reached an unknown enemy, who failed to kill him once before but is determined not be foiled again . . .
    It's a roaring start to the second Young Hellboy series, from Hellboy creator Mike Mignola and cowriter Thomas Sniegoski, with art by Craig Rousseau and colors by Dave Stewart.

Writer: Mike Mignola, Thomas Sniegoski
    Artist: Craig Rousseau
    Colorist: Dave Stewart
    Cover Artist: Matt Smith

Publication Date: July 20, 2022
    Format: FC, 32 pages; Miniseries
    (U.S. cover) Price: $3.99
    UPC: 7 61568 00983 5 00111

https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/300...Castle-Death-1

Variant cover by Tonci Zonjic:

https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/300...-Variant-Cover

Fun set up. Always up for a good monk assassin story. I like Rosseau on the art, but I find some of the work a bit barren, with panels that have only figures with no backgrounds. I could use a little more filled in.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Fun set up. Always up for a good monk assassin story. I like Rosseau on the art, but I find some of the work a bit barren, with panels that have only figures with no backgrounds. I could use a little more filled in.
    Yeah this was pretty fun, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with that order of monks.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

If anyone wasn't aware yet,
    * YOUNG HELLBOY: ASSAULT ON CASTLE DEATH #2 is currently listed for "Publication Date: September 14, 2022" on the darkhorse.com site (had been originally solicited for "August 10, 2022").
    * YOUNG HELLBOY: ASSAULT ON CASTLE DEATH #3 is now listed as "Publication Date: October 19, 2022" on the darkhorse.com website (had been solicited for "September 14, 2022").
    * YOUNG HELLBOY: ASSAULT ON CASTLE DEATH #4 is now listed as "Publication Date: November 23, 2022" on the darkhorse.com website (had been solicited for "October 12, 2022").

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If anyone wasn't aware yet,
    * YOUNG HELLBOY: ASSAULT ON CASTLE DEATH #2 is currently listed for "Publication Date: September 14, 2022" on the darkhorse.com site (had been originally solicited for "August 10, 2022").
    * YOUNG HELLBOY: ASSAULT ON CASTLE DEATH #3 is now listed as "Publication Date: October 19, 2022" on the darkhorse.com website (had been solicited for "September 14, 2022").
    * YOUNG HELLBOY: ASSAULT ON CASTLE DEATH #4 is now listed as "Publication Date: November 23, 2022" on the darkhorse.com website (had been solicited for "October 12, 2022").
    Man, the hits keep coming. Maybe its time the Mignolaverse moves to another publisher.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Man, the hits keep coming. Maybe its time the Mignolaverse moves to another publisher.
    Don't be ridiculous. It's a pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. It's a pandemic.
    It's not affecting other publishers to this degree though, I don't recall for instance a time this year that a book I had been reading from DC, Marvel, Image or IDW that has consistently missed as many deadlines as Mignola's books have this year. And I'm not super diligent about personal issues so correct me if I'm wrong but it's not due to personal health issues with eith Mignola himself or the artists he was working with like say the delay in Astro City had to do with Busiek's unfortunate long term health issues, so it seems to be publisher side rather than creative side.

this isn't to shame anyone involved, it's just commenting on the reality of the situation which does lead one to wonder: Is this an issue with Dark Horse? Are we seeing funding issues like we saw in the lead up to the colapse of Valiant? I honestly don't know, but it's something that makes me wonder and I don't see anything wrong with that.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 08-06-2022 at 02:58 PM.

Maybe it's not the publisher, but the writer/artist that need more time. I prefer a title getting delayed with the best finished product, rather than a steady monthly issue on time but rushed.

More changes on release dates for issue #3 and #4:
    * YOUNG HELLBOY: ASSAULT ON CASTLE DEATH #3 is now listed as "Publication Date: November 02, 2022" on the darkhorse.com website
    (had been solicited for "September 14, 2022" and later was bumped to "October 19, 2022")
    * YOUNG HELLBOY: ASSAULT ON CASTLE DEATH #4 is now listed as "Publication Date: November 30, 2022" on the darkhorse.com website
    (had been solicited for "October 12, 2022" and later was bumped to "November 23, 2022")

Issue 2 was fun, it's cotton candy without real substance, but an enjoyable little romp.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Issue 2 was fun, it's cotton candy without real substance, but an enjoyable little romp.
    Yeah, it's nothing earth shattering but it's definitely fun.

If anybody is trying to keep track of the release dates for issue #3 and #4:
    * YOUNG HELLBOY: ASSAULT ON CASTLE DEATH #3 is currently listed as "Publication Date: November 16, 2022" on the darkhorse.com website
    (had been originally solicited for "September 14, 2022")

* YOUNG HELLBOY: ASSAULT ON CASTLE DEATH #4 is currently listed as "Publication Date: December 14, 2022" on the darkhorse.com website
    (had been solicited for "October 12, 2022")

Still fun, but getting tired of HB's fever dreams. This could have been 2 issues.

Still fun, but getting tired of HB's fever dreams. This could have been 2 issues.
    It definitely could have been tighter but it's undoubtedly fun.

Issue #4 is due out next week.
    YOUNG HELLBOY: ASSAULT ON CASTLE DEATH #4
    Still in the grips of a fever-induced hallucination, Hellboy (aka the Scarlet Crab), his dog Mac, and a friend straight out of pulp legend find themselves in the strange laboratory of Castle Death. While Hellboy is lost in his fantasy, the Brotherhood's assassin finally closes in!
    The second Young Hellboy series reaches its exciting conclusion! From Hellboy creator Mike Mignola and cowriter Tom Sniegoski, with art by Craig Rousseau and colors by Chris O'Halloran.
    Writer: Mike Mignola, Thomas Sniegoski
    Artist: Craig Rousseau
    Colorist: Chris O’Halloran
    Cover Artist: Matt Smith

Publication Date: February 01, 2023

https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/300...Castle-Death-4

Variant cover by Lissa Treiman: