Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Including baring unaccompanied baseline humans to the island, that's exactly how the mutant population of Krakoa is living.

What's to stop mutants from being consummate hypocrites?
    How are they hypocrites? Nations have every right to ban the gates if they want to.(Some already have and even have military at Krakoa gates) All I said was that enforcing such a ruling is fool hardy cause you are not going to be able to stop random X mutant from popping open a gate in someone's basement and being gone. You can't guard every inch of your nation every second.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    People always leave out the time that Mr. Sinister depowered all the mutants on the planet.
    I wasn't aware of that lol.

Do you know where it happened?

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Yeeeeah except...
    Were you going to make a point here and forgot to write the rest?
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 07-30-2022 at 05:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    How are they hypocrites? Nations have every right to ban the gates if they want to.(Some already have and even have military at Krakoa gates) All I said was that enforcing such a ruling is fool hardy cause you are not going to be able to stop random X mutant from popping open a gate in someone's basement and being gone. You can't guard every inch of your nation every second.
    And comic science being what it is...I am sure some genius scientist can figure out how to detect them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I want to see a more real world frame work for this. Krakoa treated in universe as any other country in the real world. If mutants want their own country...fine. But if they want to travel to and from other countries...gates allowing instantaneous travel aside...they should come and go thru customs like anyone else. If they break a law in a country...they should be held accountable like anyone else.
    I doubt that would happen considering that Marvel has a history of being really silly with laws of other countries, just look at all the times Doom pulls the "Diplomatic immunity" card lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

And a lot of that is a serious problem for me. If I visit another country and break the law...the US does not get to bring me back and punish me here. Why should mutants get that?
    Because most laws that get broken are not that serious enough to mess up potential trading partners in the mutants. With the mutants now becoming not only a powerful earth nation but being recognized on a galactic level they are not going to ruin that because some random mutant chose to have a night out in their country.

And why should every mutant get diplomatic immunity? Yes members of their government on official business in another country should get it...but just a common everyday citizen should not get to claim it.
    Because mutants are looking out for each other

I want to see a more real world frame work for this. Krakoa treated in universe as any other country in the real world. If mutants want their own country...fine. But if they want to travel to and from other countries...gates allowing instantaneous travel aside...they should come and go thru customs like anyone else. If they break a law in a country...they should be held accountable like anyone else.
    They.....can't.....enforce......that.....rule.

Extraordinary Member

Because most laws that get broken are not that serious enough to mess up potential trading partners in the mutants. With the mutants now becoming not only a powerful earth nation but being recognized on a galactic level they are not going to ruin that because some random mutant chose to have a night out in their country.

Because mutants are looking out for each other

They.....can't.....enforce......that.....rule.
    They can do whatever they want in the story.

And comic science being what it is...I am sure some genius scientist can figure out how to detect them.
    Again this is only an issue for hostile nations to Krakoa. The other nations that are trading with Krakoa are not going to pull this stuff cause it would damage relations

But hey if you want to be the human nation that is actively tracking gates and hunting college mutants trying to party be my guess but it ain't a good look

And just remember not all these nations are Dr Doom Mr Fantastic level intelligent to pull that kind of stuff off.

Extraordinary Member

Again this is only an issue for hostile nations to Krakoa. The other nations that are trading with Krakoa are not going to pull this stuff cause it would damage relations

But hey if you want to be the human nation that is actively tracking gates and hunting college mutants trying to party be my guess but it ain't a good look

And just remember not all these nations are Dr Doom Mr Fantastic level intelligent to pull that kind of stuff off.
    Being trading partners does not give exemptions from the laws and the right to come and go as they please.

And why wouldn't a country want to be able to know where all the gates are. If they want to put a gate on the moon or Mars...fine...but if they want to come to the sovereign countries on Earth...come through a valid point of entry and declare themselves. If they are college mutants just trying to party why would they have a problem with that?
    Last edited by Chris0013; 07-30-2022 at 06:21 PM.

Being trading partners does not give exemptions from the laws.
    Oh boy you must not know what nations get up to xD

And why wouldn't a country want to be able to know where all the gates are. If they want to put a gate on the moon or Mars...fine...but if they want to come to the sovereign countries on Earth...come through a valid point of entry and declare themselves.
    We are talking in circles now

I wasn't aware of that lol.

Do you know where it happened?
    Sometime just before Morrison. Marrow was still on the team at the time.

It was actually a plan High Evolutionary started, but Sinister was working with him in disguise and then turned on him and took over. Then Sinister decided that now they had gotten rid of all the mutants, they should mutate everything else on the planet so he could do science. Evil mad science.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Sometime just before Morrison. Marrow was still on the team at the time.

It was actually a plan High Evolutionary started, but Sinister was working with him in disguise and then turned on him and took over. Then Sinister decided that now they had gotten rid of all the mutants, they should mutate everything else on the planet so he could do science. Evil mad science.
    Is there any other kind?

To be honest, the entire Krakoan Gate setup is one of the dumbest, most indefensible things to come out of Marvel Comics. And yes, this puts in the came camp as The Wall and Carol giving birth to her own rapist. Immensely powerful countries completely ceding any authority to a foreign nation and allowing extreme violations of their territory. There is actually more than enough material there for regular humans citizens of these countries to become even more mutant-phobic. So all these mutant terrorists and murderers are no longer accountable to your country's authorities, can come and go as they please, and you have to trust mutants to punish them? That sounds like a damn PR dream for Orchis recruitment drives.

It's a straight up net negative for these nations in ways fundamental to a nation-state.

And a lot of that is a serious problem for me. If I visit another country and break the law...the US does not get to bring me back and punish me here. Why should mutants get that?
    If you're in the military they do
    And why should every mutant get diplomatic immunity? Yes members of their government on official business in another country should get it...but just a common everyday citizen should not get to claim it.

I'm thinking its karmatic justice from all the times the court systems screwed over a mutant. So it equals out.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Sphere View Post
    To be honest, the entire Krakoan Gate setup is one of the dumbest, most indefensible things to come out of Marvel Comics. And yes, this puts in the came camp as The Wall and Carol giving birth to her own rapist. Immensely powerful countries completely ceding any authority to a foreign nation and allowing extreme violations of their territory. There is actually more than enough material there for regular humans citizens of these countries to become even more mutant-phobic. So all these mutant terrorists and murderers are no longer accountable to your country's authorities, can come and go as they please, and you have to trust mutants to punish them? That sounds like a damn PR dream for Orchis recruitment drives.

It's a straight up net negative for these nations in ways fundamental to a nation-state.
    Ehhhh just sounds like the same insecure and scared people are going to think like that. So really I don't think productive society will be missing much lol And really how is that different from Before? Or different than any other villain livin in the 616 lol
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    Nope, you're confused, but haters gonna hate and... grasp @ straws, 'cause that's all they got.

That eXplains, and confirms, a lot. But nothing I haven't already pointed out.

Sure you were, it's a her, and you would know... as you're basking in it. I'm not, and wouldn't accept it if they did, just like you. 15 years? Try again, as apparently you don't know how this works, lol.
    YEs towards the sky.
    GrindrStone(D)

I'm thinking its karmatic justice from all the times the court systems screwed over a mutant. So it equals out.
    No, that's just stupid. Bad people did things to mutants, and the response is no human laws (seriously, none at all) apply to mutants. If it was some (like the ones abused against them), but the current setup is just defecating on the very concept of non-mutant laws from a great height. This is part of the reason why some parts of the fanbase view Krakoa in a dim light.

[quote]
    Ehhhh just sounds like the same insecure and scared people are going to think like that. So really I don't think productive society will be missing much lol And really how is that different from Before? Or different than any other villain livin in the 616 lol
    No, it doesn't sound like the same insecure or scared people. It's the actual realistic response the average person would have on the ground, especially if poked and prodded by Orchis' PR division. Look at how easily people get whipped out into violent, anti-immigrant masses that view any non-citizen as a threat to the nation. It's not a leap to extend that to mutants violating territory and property in their country at will. It'd also make the current government look weak for being unable to protect them, another potential lead for a shrewd villain to exploit (see Druig).

Supervillains have started entire worldwide events with less than the current setup, for example.

Extraordinary Member

I don't recall all that many court cases with mutants...the only 2 that come to mind:
    Wither in the New Mutants series where an FBI agent...the nephew of Donald Pierce...actually told the judge that he should not be held accountable for his father's death from his power.

Magneto before the World Court in X-Men vs Avengers (from the 1980s) when he is found Not Guilty for his actions.

I would like to see more mutant court cases...but what normally happens is mutant break the law and then run off and hide somewhere and never go to court.

The X-Men and Hellions broke into NORAD and instead of turning themselves in to face the consequences stayed in hiding.

When Ben Deeds powers kicked in he was kicked out of college...did he take them to court for discrimination? No. He ran off and joined a group of fugitives.

In the same story line Hijack was testing his powers trying to control cars that did not belong to him. When confronted by police who came to arrest him he resisted and attempted to attack the police with the cars. Did he go to court? No. Magneto showed up and helped him escape...after he resisted arrest and attempted to assault the police.

The list goes on an on with mutants NOT going into court to answer for their crimes.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 07-30-2022 at 09:47 PM.