Astonishing Member

Default What could happen if the dead mutants of Genosha are "Hulk Snapped" back?

With the Judgement Day crossover officialy beginning and the Ressurection Protocol having been indicated for a while to be the "official" reason for the Eternals going to war with the mutants, there had been some renewed lively discussions about it here on the forum, with one part in particular catching my attention. The massive logistic issue of the body creating process and how it impacts the longterm goal of bringing back those who died on Genosha.

While it's clearly the lesser important of the two elements involved (without the Cerebro storage you would just have a bunch of adult bodies with the minds of newborn babies or worse), mainly because of how there are a dozen types of machines in the Marvel Universe that can also produce clone bodies and likely a lot more efficient or in larger numbers than what Krakoa uses, it seems the heads of the Nation have set their minds on only using the Five and their method for producing bodies.

Which means five people need to produce a clone body by "hand" and by their lonesome, with seemingly no plans to expand their numbers or create additional teams (which is kinda difficult when the most important part of the process is a freaking reality warper).

As some have calculated. Even if they produce one body per minute, without ever sleeping, resting or doing other things, they would only be able to produce 525.600 bodies per year. (From which all the characters who stupidly get killed all of a sudden and multiple times per month need to be subtracted). Which means that at this pace they would need 30 years to bring back all dead mutants of Genosha alone (16 million).

Considering the sliding timescale of the Marvel Comic universe, this is of course utterly unachievable, since the current status quo could go the way of the dodo at any time.
    Infact the whole Ressurection Protocol might soon take the first step off the cliff and become removed to stop it's overusage and return a "sense" of stakes (we all know popular characters won't stay dead creating the super hero paradox, but they need to take it serious or else the stories get boring) as result of the current crossover.

But what if the RP wouldn't even be necessary to bring the Genoshans back?
    What if there is suddently a certain action that miraculously restores all the dead mutants since Morrison back to life, the same way Hulk in Avengers: Endgame used the infinity gauntlet to "snap" everyone back that got erased by Thanos in the previous movie?

Boom 16+ million mutants back in an instance.

Now before everyone starts cheering, we should consider that bringing 16 million people back at once, especialy when they have super powers should have massive consequences.

Not enough space, stretched resources, culture clash, massively differing opinions, home sickness, etc.

So what do you think could happen in the aftermath of such an event?

Personaly i have the feeling a massive exodus would be the most likely outcome, since many Genoshans might not be happy with the prospect of going to the mostly still lifeless Mars, while there is not enough space on Krakoa for them and the island's resources might get stretched thin.
    Last edited by Grunty; 07-20-2022 at 04:11 PM.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

If the current Island is only 200k then they'd need a bigger island

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    If the current Island is only 200k then they'd need a bigger island
    The island grows as the population grows. But yes, if it's just done in a snap they're going to drown.

Couldn't they just try to rebuild Genosha? Or am I missing something that made Genosha uninhabitable since ~15 years ago when Marvel was willing to acknowledge Lorna survived under its rubble replaying the genocide for weeks?
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

NGL, my 1st reaction to this was... probably could've, and maybe should've, tagged it with a:
    spoilers:
    Spoilers!
    end of spoilers
    warning.

While deciding on how much I want to say, and in what way, if the OP would be so kind as to answer the following:

Was the impetus for this just a random musing, or are there recent narrative reasons you're now contemplating it?

If it's the former, I'll likely be more reluctant to expound in specifics, but would argue the only thing preventing it...

would be a lack of imagination, and I don't think that's going to be or even is currently... an obstacle to overcome.
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 07-20-2022 at 04:11 PM.

Astonishing Member

Well Emma would have little to say to ambassador Mangyu,it definitely would temper or remove one of those bitter grudges Krakoans seem to hold on to ,but then there's always another massacre waiting to happen.So narratively I doubt this snap will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Couldn't they just try to rebuild Genosha? Or am I missing something that made Genosha uninhabitable since ~15 years ago when Marvel was willing to acknowledge Lorna survived under its rubble replaying the genocide for weeks?
    Rebuilding Genosha is a very good idea and doing it a bit at a time makes more sense then snapping it into reality. Having an actual conflict over ownership of the island between its former rulers mutant and human is also a good idea. The idea that Genosha had been a mutant only island has set in of late and it was alot more complicated then that.

Marvel couldn't run further and harder away from anything Genosha or early 00s related with Lorna the past decade and a half, but at least in the Hellfire Gala this year they homaged that era among others which I found interesting. They haven't done themselves a service trying so hard to forget those themes with Lorna as they are indelible.

I like the idea of having a second mutant nation on earth. Genosha is on many levels a lot more complex than Krakoa. I've just realized that I miss Genosha as a concept.

Ultimate X-Men went there for a bit before Jean Grey went crazy and started a war.

I want Selene to return and show the council what she is really capable of. Maybe let some mutant magicians create a new mutant/magic technology that will return Genosha as a nation. Scarlet Witch failed to do it. Selene mostly created techno organic zombies. Maybe when Magik joins also in with them, they can collectively can bring Genosha back for good.

Who needs omegas when you have magic mutant users?
    Last edited by Exodus; 07-21-2022 at 08:10 AM.