Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Yesterday, I was talking about The Flash movie over the DC board and I mentioned some Superman/MoS-related elements of the film. Thought to share over here too:

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Btw, the real events of MoS are referenced by Barry during the movie. Even via flashbacks spoilers:
    Barry was in Metropolis helping civilians during the Black Zero event
    end of spoilers. And he sort of act like some guy that watched MoS on repeat and know the key scenes, referencing what SM was doing in a particular moment spoilers:
    like being arrested by the military
    end of spoilers.

If you liked MoS, I think you'll like Flash too. Some of the MoS cast is there, the VFX team that worked on MoS is doing Flash too. From test screenings is described as MoS-like. The fights too. We'll see with the trailer.
    As I have already pointed out months ago, Superman has a "presence" and indirect relevance to the story (I know I've been already dismissed multiple times to not think he is a non-factor in the plot, but idgas, sorry, lol)

This has already being discussed but for reference and completeness of the post I reiterate the basic story: spoilers:
    Barry's mess up with reality to save his mom and end up creating an alternate timeline/past where the new age of heroes isn't supposed to happen (all the JLers are missing, dead, never born, depowered, etc) and when the first major DCEU threat (Michael Shannon's Zod) shows up in this alternate 2013, Barry search SM to defeat him, but he can't found Kal, same for the other JLers. He does found Kara instead, who is depowered and imprisoned in a Siberian military base. In this screwed up timeline, the World Engine terraforming and fights happen in the desert (same desert with the military and kryptonian space ships scene from MoS), Zod kills the military, I think Henry Lennix is one of the guys killed off. The fights are MoS-style. Kara (and Batman) gets killed off by Zod too. It's a fixed point in that timeline, she has to die. Zod kills everyone on his path. I guess it's all what that timeline is about, no heroes should exists. Well, crazy multiverse/speed force shit happens later, and that twisted alt. timeline gets erased.
    end of spoilers

It was described to me as a tribute to MoS. You can get why knowing some of the actors involved and the basic story.

Few other Superman-related Easter-eggs: spoilers:
    at the beginning of the movie, SM is on the news on TV saving some place from some disaster. And at the end of the movie, the most random cameo they could have added, among a bunch of journalists interviewing Barry after his dad is freed from prison, there's one of the press presented as Jimmy Olsen. If it'll made the final cut, we'll get Jimmy officially in the DCEU, lmao.
    end of spoilers

These are crumbs, but I think MoS and Superman fans could appreciate them... if rumors and speculations about the movie haven't already ruined it for you.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-01-2022 at 10:55 AM.

Going to be weird as hell to have Jimmy in the DCEU without a Clark. I guess a Lois might still be around too (not Adams she’s too old and attached to the old regime at this point). Would they have Kara working at the Daily Planet? Raised by the Kents?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Going to be weird as hell to have Jimmy in the DCEU without a Clark. I guess a Lois might still be around too (not Adams she’s too old and attached to the old regime at this point). Would they have Kara working at the Daily Planet? Raised by the Kents?
    You are just trolling, right?

I doubt they put Kara in all the same situations Kal was in. She will be the DCEU's only Kryptonian but WBD has the smarts to make her unique and build her film franchise around new characters - in part. It looks like Jimmy may exist in the DCEU which implies Perry and the Daily Planet. Beyond that I don't see Lois, Lana or the Kents as existing in the DCEU.

Judging from her first film seemingly featuring Brainiac the Supergirl films may give us a great list of rogues which we sadly didn't get to see in the Superman films.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-01-2022 at 11:20 AM.

Yesterday, I was talking about The Flash movie over the DC board and I mentioned some Superman/MoS-related elements of the film. Thought to share over here too:

As I have already pointed out months ago, Superman has a "presence" and indirect relevance to the story (I know I've been already dismissed multiple times to not think he is a non-factor in the plot, but idgas, sorry, lol)

This has already being discussed but for reference and completeness of the post I reiterate the basic story: spoilers:
    Barry's mess up with reality to save his mom and end up creating an alternate timeline/past where the new age of heroes isn't supposed to happen (all the JLers are missing, dead, never born, depowered, etc) and when the first major DCEU threat (Michael Shannon's Zod) shows up in this alternate 2013, Barry search SM to defeat him, but he can't found Kal, same for the other JLers. He does found Kara instead, who is depowered and imprisoned in a Siberian military base. In this screwed up timeline, the World Engine terraforming and fights happen in the desert (same desert with the military and kryptonian space ships scene from MoS), Zod kills the military, I think Henry Lennix is one of the guys killed off. The fights are MoS-style. Kara (and Batman) gets killed off by Zod too. It's a fixed point in that timeline, she has to die. Zod kills everyone on his path. I guess it's all what that timeline is about, no heroes should exists. Well, crazy multiverse/speed force shit happens later, and that twisted alt. timeline gets erased.
    end of spoilers

It was described to me as a tribute to MoS. You can get why knowing some of the actors involved and the basic story.

Few other Superman-related Easter-eggs: spoilers:
    at the beginning of the movie, SM is on the news on TV saving some place from some disaster. And at the end of the movie, the most random cameo they could have added, among a bunch of journalists interviewing Barry after his dad is freed from prison, there's one of the press presented as Jimmy Olsen. If it'll made the final cut, we'll get Jimmy officially in the DCEU, lmao.
    end of spoilers

These are crumbs, but I think MoS and Superman fans could appreciate them... if rumors and speculations about the movie haven't already ruined it for you.
    The intention seems to be to put closure on Superman/MOS. Tie it up with a bow and make it a bit of a tribute to MOS. and introduce Supergirl as Superman's replacement. MOS and all that went before will be put to rest and a new era will begin in the DCEU.

WBD is really promoting her. Stories of how good she is in the Flash. That is Zaslov prepping the way for a smooth transition from Superman to Supergirl. The question is will Supergirl be able to do Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel numbers at the box. No way to know but if Zaslov has any say about it the Supergirl film will be huge.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-01-2022 at 11:38 AM.

You are just trolling, right?
    Hey the CW more or less just made Supergirl “Kara Kent”, I wouldn’t rule it out.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    The intention seems to be to put closure on Superman/MOS. Tie it up with a bow and introduce Supergirl as Superman's replacement. MOS and all that went before will be put to rest and a new era will begin in the DCEU.

WBD is really promoting her. Stories of how good she is in the Flash. That is Zaslov prepping the way for a smooth transition from Superman to Supergirl. The question is will Supergirl be able to do Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel numbers at the box. No way to know but if Zaslov has any say about it the Supergirl film will be huge.
    The Supergirl movie seems on hold right now. Zaslav is looking for a Feige type of figure to guide DC before moving on with other projects. Outside Joker 2, there seem to be nothing on the horizon to be filmed.

Hey the CW more or less just made Supergirl “Kara Kent”, I wouldn’t rule it out.
    Likely they'll follow the comics and have her as Kara Danvers. One inspiration of the old Supergirl script was Being Super (I don't recall the story anymore though), I saw Sasha buying a copy and posting a pic on socials. Maybe her origin will still be inspired by that. She had another SG book (tie in with Bendis's run, I think). The Batgirl movie is lifted from Dixon's Batgirl: Year One. Can't think of an equivalent for Superigrl outside of Being Super.

Edit: found the pic...

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-01-2022 at 11:47 AM.

The Supergirl movie seems on hold right now. Zaslav is looking for a Feige type of figure to guide DC before moving on with other projects. Outside Joker 2, there seem to be nothing on the horizon to be filmed.

Likely they'll follow the comics and have her as Kara Danvers. One inspiration of the old Supergirl script was Being Super (I don't recall the story anymore though), I saw Sasha buying a copy and posting a pic on socials. Maybe her origin will still be inspired by that. She had another SG book (tie in with Bendis's run, I think) The Batgirl movie is lifted from Dixon's Batgirl: Year One. Can't think of an equivalent for Superigrl outside of Being Super.
    It seems they are moving forward with a Batman solo despite other things being on hold. The Supergirl franchise is a top priority for WBD and once decisions are made I expect Supergirl will be expedited. I have a big bet with a buddy that a Batman film is announced for XMAS 2024 when the new head makes his first public comments about DC. But Zaslov has to be focused on which films get the go-ahead. That may be why no new on the Black Superman project yet.

Deadline has a story about big lyoffs coing at WBD and that thing, financially, are a mess there.

https://deadline.com/2022/07/warner-...gs-1235081582/
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-01-2022 at 11:53 AM.

It seems they are moving forward with a Batman solo despite other things being on hold. The Supergirl franchise is a top priority for WBD and once decisions are made I expect Supergirl will be expedited. I have a big bet with a buddy that a Batman film is announced for XMAS 2024 when the new head makes his first public comments about DC. But Zaslov has to be focused on which films get the go-ahead. That may be why no new on the Black Superman project yet.

Deadline has a story about big lyoffs coing at WBD and that thing, financially, are a mess there.

https://deadline.com/2022/07/warner-...gs-1235081582/
    They are writing the sequel for Reeve's BM. But no movement on DCEU movies apparently.

They are writing the sequel for Reeve's BM. But no movement on DCEU movies apparently.
    Henry Cavill being wooed by Marvel?

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/en...exclusive.html
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-01-2022 at 12:13 PM.

Henry Cavill being wooed by Marvel?

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/en...exclusive.html
    If he does end up playing Reed Richards, he also needs to be in the next Deadpool movie, just so they can do a scene like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SNMr9EmO4Y
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    If he does end up playing Reed Richards, he also needs to be in the next Deadpool movie, just so they can do a scene like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SNMr9EmO4Y
    That's a cool scene. I might watch that film even with Cavill in it. LOL!

I'd think he'd prefer Bond for which he is on the short list with a casting announcement not too far off. Guess he could do both? Cavill seems to be talking with everyone even though he has a lot on his plate. At least it's known he won't be back as Superman and that will calm his fans down who were on a rollercoaster about his return as Supes for years now. The new Flash screening seemingly confirms again that Supes is gone from the new DCEU which the recently dropped Shazam 2 trailer also hints at.

Hard to accept as a Supes fan but the new WBD as well as the old WB have no faith that Superman can be a financial success. This goes way back. Before JL came out there was already talk of Supergirl and that an MOS2 would be about Supergirl seen through the eyes of Superman. Note how Zaslov immediately moved to bring Batman back into the DCEU which confirms the new regime is the same as the old in their attitude towards Superman. Still, Zaslov is high on revitalizing the superverse as has been quoted. He believes Supergirl can be a big tentpole like Captain Marvel and WW. When Supergirl comes out comparing her box to that of MOS will be a hot topic. I think Supergirl could do near a billion but that is because those creating her franchise really believe. Those who made MOS didn't - including Alan Horn who is back.

As to Cavill, I will always hold it against him that he refused cameos. That would have kept Superman alive in the DCEU even on the fringes. And it could have led the way to another Superman film in the DCEU. He was offered cameos in Shazam, Flash, Peacemaker and a supporting role in Supergirl. The latter had a chance of launching him into a solo Superman film. Even if it were just cameos and small parts that is better than no Superman or Clark or Lois in the DCEU. It would have shown respect to his Superman fans and cost him nothing. Maybe eat a little crow? But getting paid well to do so.

The only thing out there is Abrams Black Superman but that is a siloed Superman apart from everything DCEU. New villains, new friends. I'll catch the first film but I'm old fashioned when it comes to Superman. I want a traditional Superman a la Superman and Lois. And I'd like to see that Superman on both the big and small screen. Cavill could have kept the hope alive, but he refused to do so.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-01-2022 at 05:48 PM.

Supergirl is still being worked on. Unlike Wonder Twins which was axed. The change has been filming which was supposed to start in the latter half of this year and will instead happen next year. Supergirl seems to be a "pet" project for Zaslov with top priority. WBD is really pushing Supergirl (after the latest Flash screening dropped Sasha go tons of praise - another Gal Gadot) so the delay in filming may mean we get an even better film. The studio wants and Zaslov needs for Supergirl to be a billion-dollar pushing franchise.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-01-2022 at 05:12 PM.

Spectacular Member

Uhh.....what's the exact opposite word of appreciate? That's kind of what i'm feeling right now.

The question is will Supergirl be able to do Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel numbers at the box. No way to know but if Zaslov has any say about it the Supergirl film will be huge.
    I don't know if this is wishful thinking or sarcasm, but i'm quite confident the audience will be far less accepting of Supergirl replacing Superman than you seem to think.
    Last edited by Monari; 08-01-2022 at 07:22 PM.

That's a cool scene. I might watch that film even with Cavill in it. LOL!
    It's from UHF, a movie from Weird Al, 1989. Fantastic movie, imo. If you love balls-to-the-wall camp, that is - which I do.

I'd think he'd prefer Bond for which he is on the short list with a casting announcement not too far off. Guess he could do both? Cavill seems to be talking with everyone even though he has a lot on his plate. At least it's known he won't be back as Superman and that will calm his fans down who were on a rollercoaster about his return as Supes for years now. The new Flash screening seemingly confirms again that Supes is gone from the new DCEU which the recently dropped Shazam 2 trailer also hints at.
    Heck, *I'd* prefer Bond, lol. "it's known" is a little early though, doncha think? "All probabilities suggest" sure, but anything else is just speculation at this point, rumor/bts-informed or not.

Hard to accept as a Supes fan but the new WBD as well as the old WB have no faith that Superman can be a financial success. This goes way back. Before JL came out there was already talk of Supergirl and that an MOS2 would be about Supergirl seen through the eyes of Superman. Note how Zaslov immediately moved to bring Batman back into the DCEU which confirms the new regime is the same as the old in their attitude towards Superman. Still, Zaslov is high on revitalizing the superverse as has been quoted. He believes Supergirl can be a big tentpole like Captain Marvel and WW. When Supergirl comes out comparing her box to that of MOS will be a hot topic. I think Supergirl could do near a billion but that is because those creating her franchise really believe. Those who made MOS didn't - including Alan Horn who is back.
    Ok, that seems like a lot of declarative statements that we don't know for 100% sure yet. If it happens, it happens (honestly again, no judgement either way), but it just seems like jumping the gun when there are others steps before we know almost anything of what's happening beyond speculation. I will say, though, that WB's lack of faith in Superman spans generations, back to and including when they leased the rights to the Salkinds.

As for Supergirl... I can see a strong beginning, but unless it's absolutely incredible, I don't know what kind of staying power it'll have - especially if the press taglines are all about how she's "replacing Superman." There is no faster way to kill a franchise than to alienate a portion of your viewership base - and I can look at MoS and BvS as exhibit A on that.

Also, if "the new regime is the same as the old in their attitude towards Superman" then we're back to WB failing the character, and Zaslav will fail Superman like generations of WB morons before him. Hopefully not, but we'll see. But it's an idea we should be railing against the company for as Superman fans, because it could mean terrible things for the character. The one thing that helps my possible estimation is that Horn was pretty successful over at Disney, which means he can handle more than just "make everything Batman" like we were hearing in the Nolan days.

As to Cavill, I will always hold it against him that he refused cameos. That would have kept Superman alive in the DCEU even on the fringes. And it could have led the way to another Superman film in the DCEU. He was offered cameos in Shazam, Flash, Peacemaker and a supporting role in Supergirl. The latter had a chance of launching him into a solo Superman film. Even if it were just cameos and small parts that is better than no Superman or Clark or Lois in the DCEU. It would have shown respect to his Superman fans and cost him nothing. Maybe eat a little crow? But getting paid well to do so.
    I disagree. It's actually better to not have the cameos if they're going to have a main character who hasn't been properly fleshed-out yet, unless that's definitively in the plans (which is rare for cameos). I know I'd have a lot less interest in that. I'd rather they just reboot then, honestly. And I've dealt with corporate contracts so you can take this to the bank; "a chance" means literally nothing, especially when leadership can (and has) changed at the drop of a hat. I can speak to that from personal experience. It's also probably smarter for him, in the long run; committed to cameos would possibly mean not taking other leading gigs or being seen as a cameo/supporting role guy (Hollywood is stupid like that, for some reason) - as it is, there could be a few places interested in better placement (Witcher, 007, F4) which is better for his career as an actor, even if his heart would rather be doing Superman. So when you say it'd cost him nothing.. that's a leap that can't be made for certain. As much as he may possibly love Superman, he shouldn't (even potentially) damage/kill his career for the character and the corporation that owns it. And if he gets 4 cameos and WB say "well, we could maybe take a chance on a Superman movie if you cut your salary by half..." what does he do then? Because this same "if he cared about Superman he'd do it" thing would still be on him becuase too many people don't blame the company for it's bad decisions. WB has failed this character - repeatedly. Ultimately, this is on them (this time for hiring Snyder instead of someone on the safer end of Nolan).

The only thing out there is Abrams Black Superman but that is a siloed Superman apart from everything DCEU. New villains, new friends. I'll catch the first film but I'm old fashioned when it comes to Superman. I want a traditional Superman a la Superman and Lois. And I'd like to see that Superman on both the big and small screen. Cavill could have kept the hope alive, but he refused to do so.
    Honestly, I'm fine with all kinds of alternative Supermen as long as it's along the same lines they're going now with alternative Batmen; that more than one can exist at a time. I'd much rather Val-Zod or Calvin Ellis for a "Black Superman" project since those are established characters with lots of potential, but that's just me.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/