Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Monari View Post
    I don't know if this is wishful thinking or sarcasm, but i'm quite confident the audience will be far less accepting of Supergirl replacing Superman than you seem to think.
    It seems to be WBD/Zaslav's belief - presumably based on poll testing audiences which studios are always doing. After the disappointment of SDCC for DC - being totally overshadowed by Feige's announced plans for phase 5 an early phase 6 - two things happened. The staged Batfleck leak and reports from the Flash screenings that Sashe Calle is the best thing in the Flash. Immediately after that Affleck and Calle were the buzz of social media. No doubt WBD/Zaslav pushed this which suggests both actors will be used, among others, as the face of the DCEU.

I think there will be some backlash to her film because she is replacing Superman. How big it will be I don't know. WBD/Zaslav must know there is a risk but not enough to be a big drag on the film. Personally, I won't be seeing Supergirl because of what WBD is doing. I'll also be less likely to see other DCEU films. I'll catch the Black Superman film (if given a go-ahead) but probably won't watch sequels. The film is totally siloed from the DCEU so characters from the DCEU won't appear. Presumably they will build their own Superman villains and friends in the pocket universe which doesn't interest me.

Will Supergirl outperform MOS? Yes, but virtually all DCEU films have. In and of itself that's not noteworthy. The question is will it significantly outperform MOS? I don't think so, despite what WBD/Zaslav may believe. There will be some backlash with a segment of the audience choosing not to see the film and the question is how big is that group and how much of a dent will it put in Supergirl's box?
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-02-2022 at 08:04 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

More rumors about Cavill (skip at 46:37 of the space): https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status...89001873592325

And from that DCFilmInsider I'm not familiar with: https://twitter.com/DCFILMSINSIDER/s...43242975506432

Setting rumors aside, it seems clear from Variety and other articles, and the recent WBD Investor day, that everything post-The Flash/Blue Beetle is on hold till Zaslav will find a head for DC Studios who will be involved with the creative process, set a 10 years plan, and decide what to do with Superman, Cavill and the DCEU as a whole. Zaslav is only making business decisions to save money, and all his talks about Superman and other IPs sound more about "we own them, but let's find someone who can handle them" and less about having an actual new direction in motion.

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-07-2022 at 12:56 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

In other news, "we're waiting for money to fall into our lap."

Hurray.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

If Hamada is leaving in October after Black Adam comes out, that’s when I bet we’ll get the new DC head. Probably won’t be until 2023 for a decision to be made about Superman.

I’ve posted her myself here before but it seems like that one insider doesn’t know what they’re doing with Superman: https://twitter.com/dcfilmsinsider/s...Sp6lc7LRryiz2Q

I’d honestly say that nobody does, not even WBD themselves right now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

If they are still waiting for new head to decide whats the plan then we actually don't have any 10 year plan at the moment.

Astonishing Member

Just my guess - I believe their plan is still to make reboot of DCEU through The Flash, but this time without Keaton being DCEU Batman (I reckon they will try to put Pattinson there) and Kara replacing Clark (she will stay as support character, with a chance of getting her project in the future).
    That way they don't have to necessarily recast all the characters, but on the other hand, if they need to, they will do it, as, for example, it will obviously be with Ezra.
    With Cavill, it's up to him. If they make a deal with him, then he will return, if not, Superman's actor will be changed as well.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

Hurray.
    And after Zazlov's shabby treatment of other filmmakers, I can't imagine anyone who has a choice would want to work for WB anytime soon.

Leaving aside whether WBD even wants Cavill back there are more reports that Cavill does not want to return to the role. Over the weekend Alberto Gonzalez and a few others reported this adding to similar stories that have been out there recently. WBD apparently wants more Gadot. There had been rumors she was upped for more films and will be used across a number of projects. Gadot is said to be viewed as a "team player" by WBD. Something that can't be said for Cavill. BTW, look for a surprise appearance by Wonder Woman in Shazam2.

Marvel will be rocking it in 2024 with a slew of films. WBD has virtually nothing so watch for a Batman solo to be released that year - XMAS 2024 is my bet. Wonder Woman 3 is being written. It could be out by 2024 but Zaslav won't rush it. Quality first and Gadot has project commitments for 2023. How much time she'd have to film is not clear. WW is a billion-dollar franchise and WW 84 was an aberration due to a lame script and lack of oversight by the old regime. As to Batfleck, WBD could have simply dropped the Keaton scenes. No reason to film new scenes with Batfleck and Batfleck is said to have a new suit in Flash as well as a cool motorcycle chase scene at the start of the film. These things are being done for a reason.

Bringing Batfleck back for Aquamann 2 implies Zaslav is keeping the Batfleck/Snyderverse timeline (which Shazam 2 implies also). Getting a solo Batman out in the next few years coupled with WW3 and Aquaman 2 is following the Feige model (which Zaslav said he wants to do) by building to DC's "Avengers" (JL) out soon after the 3 solos are out. Maybe JL by 2026/2027? Could that film be used to reintroduce Superman to the DCEU?
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-08-2022 at 10:33 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

Hurray.
    Zaslav announcing soon they have cloned Feige but modified with DC genes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If Hamada is leaving in October after Black Adam comes out, that’s when I bet we’ll get the new DC head. Probably won’t be until 2023 for a decision to be made about Superman.

I’ve posted her myself here before but it seems like that one insider doesn’t know what they’re doing with Superman: https://twitter.com/dcfilmsinsider/s...Sp6lc7LRryiz2Q

I’d honestly say that nobody does, not even WBD themselves right now.
    If WBD really wants to follow the Marvel formula, it's a safe bet think a Superman project will be connected to the shared universe instead of being a standalone Elseworld as the post-JL fallout's regime wanted to do.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    If they are still waiting for new head to decide whats the plan then we actually don't have any 10 year plan at the moment.
    Reading between the lines, it seems the current plan is to put together a team with a 10-year plan, lol:

“You look at Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, these are brands that are known everywhere in the world,” Zaslav said. “And the ability to drive those all over the world with great story is a big opportunity for us. We have done a reset. We’ve restructured the business. We’re going to focus where there will be a team with a 10-year plan focusing just on DC.”

https://www.thewrap.com/warner-bros-...-david-zaslav/

Btw, the current producers and creative teams had plans, Gunn is still working on his TSS's spin offs, all the next DC movies will do world building and set up future projects. The upcoming Black Adam introduces the JSA for potential spin offs, and tease a BA vs SM sequel; Aquaman 2 is supposed to have BM asking Arthur's help to investigate on something happening to the Earth's core (Aquaman 3 tease or JL? idk), and so on...

We'll see if the new regime will stick with these subplots.

To those who say Batfleck would not commit to a 10-year deal, some are suggesting it may be a more specific deal. A Batman solo - the project he's been working on for 6/7 years and the first JL (Affleck leading/forming the team along with Gadot's WW) and some guest appearances. Beyond that he may choose to exit the role after JL or not. I'm sure WBD is giving Affleck lots of space to continue his pet projects as an enticement to reprise his role as Batman. This unlike Gal Gadot who AG and others report has signed on for many projects as WW. Zaslav wants his Avengers and seems to feel Affleck is critical to getting there.

WW did 850 million after the disappointing BvS, Aquaman did a billion after JL bombed. Imagine if Batfleck had gotten his solo? We're talking a box potentially double that of the Reeve's Batman. That is not lost on WBD/Zaslav - anyone who thinks Battison will be brought in to play Batman in the DCEU solo film is kidding themselves.

What to do with Superman? Based on DC scoopers mentioned above WBD does not know what to do. That implies the new regime has the same doubts about Superman as the old regime despite Zaslav's comments at the earnings call. The scenario that is being suggested by some is that WBD will use JL to introduce a recast Superman. JL, building on Aquaman 2, WW3 and the solo Bats, should be huge and provide a "safe" venue in which to launch Superman. If JL is huge and the new Supes actor is well received, then it becomes far less risky for WBD/Zaslav to invest hundreds of millions in a solo Superman project.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-08-2022 at 12:37 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

They seem determined to hold onto the Flash movie which suggests one of two things: 1) They are legally obligated to release it for some reason. Some movies have a clause that says they have to be released in theaters. Especially since the pandemic. 2) They have plans in the works that are dependent on it. Which I suppose they could kill. Unless there's some reference to it in BA or something like that. The Rock has a lot more cultural sway than Miller or Cavill. Try telling him his movie isn't going to get released and see how that goes.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    They seem determined to hold onto the Flash movie which suggests one of two things: 1) They are legally obligated to release it for some reason. Some movies have a clause that says they have to be released in theaters. Especially since the pandemic. 2) They have plans in the works that are dependent on it. Which I suppose they could kill. Unless there's some reference to it in BA or something like that. The Rock has a lot more cultural sway than Miller or Cavill. Try telling him his movie isn't going to get released and see how that goes.
    At some point Miller's antics will force WB to do something drastic with the release. I don't really know what that is per se, but it'll be something.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    To those who say Batfleck would not commit to a 10-year deal, some are suggesting it may be a more specific deal. A Batman solo - the project he's been working on for 6/7 years and the first JL (Affleck leading/forming the team along with Gadot's WW) and some guest appearances. Beyond that he may choose to exit the role after JL or not. I'm sure WBD is giving Affleck lots of space to continue his pet projects as an enticement to reprise his role as Batman. This unlike Gal Gadot who AG and others report has signed on for many projects as WW. Zaslav wants his Avengers and seems to feel Affleck is critical to getting there.

WW did 850 million after the disappointing BvS, Aquaman did a billion after JL bombed. Imagine if Batfleck had gotten his solo? We're talking a box potentially double that of the Reeve's Batman. That is not lost on WBD/Zaslav - anyone who thinks Battison will be brought in to play Batman in the DCEU solo film is kidding themselves.

What to do with Superman? Based on DC scoopers mentioned above WBD does not know what to do. That implies the new regime has the same doubts about Superman as the old regime despite Zaslav's comments at the earnings call. The scenario that is being suggested by some is that WBD will use JL to introduce a recast Superman. JL, building on Aquaman 2, WW3 and the solo Bats, should be huge and provide a "safe" venue in which to launch Superman. If JL is huge and the new Supes actor is well received, then it becomes far less risky for WBD/Zaslav to invest hundreds of millions in a solo Superman project.
    I really doubt this. One look at his IMDB shows that his highest-grossing film is BvS. You're overestimating Ben Affleck's name value.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I really doubt this. One look at his IMDB shows that his highest-grossing film is BvS. You're overestimating Ben Affleck's name value.
    If the Batfleck movie were any good, it could've easily made a billion. Two prior Batman movies hit that benchmark.

But that's the rub, it'd have to be good. To be fair, I think it'd have a better chance of succeeding than JL or BvS because there wouldn't be a whole lot of other jumbled stuff hastily thrown together.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    At some point Miller's antics will force WB to do something drastic with the release. I don't really know what that is per se, but it'll be something.
    A scooper I trust thinks they may recast and reshoot a significant portion of the film. Meaning its release will be pushed back. WBD loves the Sasha Calle footage and especially the Supergirl/Zod fight which is supposedly mind blowing. They also want to keep the Affleck footage. New suit and motorcycle and a great chase scene. It's all about protecting the brand with Zaslav and releasing quality projects.

Similarly, Patti Jenkins will likely be watched closely by Zaslav. WW3 will be much more like WW than WW84 - a serious take. Don't be surprised if several "guests" appear in WW3. Batfleck would be an obvious choice as he and Gadot have incredible chemistry together. Zaslav will follow the Feige model with lots of crossover between characters in each other's films. Wonder Woman will be in Shazam 2 - that was Zaslav's doing.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 08-09-2022 at 08:06 AM.