Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Non PC movies and TV you've watched?

Do they still rerun M.A.S.H or has the funny guy in the dress become problematic?

Also, anyone want to discuss THAT scene in the Wings of Honnemaise anime?

What else have you watched that is now frowned upon?

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

The Birth of a nation 1915

Blazing Saddles. Gone With The Wind are two that I enjoy. But now there is a little Disclaimer before each. Lucky I have them both on DVD.

To be honest one show that is still on I am shocked gets away with so much is Family Guy. So many bad, crude and offensive jokes. I enjoy it but I am shocked people are not losing their minds.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Do they still rerun M.A.S.H or has the funny guy in the dress become problematic?

Also, anyone want to discuss THAT scene in the Wings of Honnemaise anime?

What else have you watched that is now frowned upon?
    Klinger's role is iconic in it. And reflected the times. So, yeah. Still makes the rounds on TV.

What DON'T make the rounds much anymore, are a lot of 90s dubbed anime. Like Sailor Moon with the "cousins" (the lesbian) Senshi. Or Pokemon with the "donuts" (rice balls).

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Blazing Saddles. Gone With The Wind are two that I enjoy. But now there is a little Disclaimer before each. Lucky I have them both on DVD.

To be honest one show that is still on I am shocked gets away with so much is Family Guy. So many bad, crude and offensive jokes. I enjoy it but I am shocked people are not losing their minds.
    To be fair, Blazing Saddles was the opposite of Gone With the Wind.
    Yes, I still watch Blazing Saddles. That, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, and Space Balls are the great parody trilogy.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

I personally hate the way PC has destroyed comedy, and I also think it is completely counterproductive. In my opinion, one of the biggest pop culture contributions to progress in race relations was content like Blazing Saddles and All in the Family (and the Jeffersons from the other side) that lampooned the racist as the buffoon he truly was. To say nothing of the standup comedy of a George Carlin or Chris Rock or Richard Pryor. Watering things down and pushing them under the rug doesn't change them, it just makes it so we see them less. PC doesn't do anything to help people understand why they were wrong to harbor those views, as opposed to simply silencing them from expressing the views they hold.

The truth is I've sat through tons of diversity trainings at my employment and in this day and age everyone knows how to say the right things and smiles brightly when they're supposed to smile, but when I sit on hiring committees there is largely no difference in who we hire.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    I personally hate the way PC has destroyed comedy, and I also think it is completely counterproductive. In my opinion, one of the biggest pop culture contributions to progress in race relations was content like Blazing Saddles and All in the Family (and the Jeffersons from the other side) that lampooned the racist as the buffoon he truly was. To say nothing of the standup comedy of a George Carlin or Chris Rock or Richard Pryor. Watering things down and pushing them under the rug doesn't change them, it just makes it so we see them less. PC doesn't do anything to help people understand why they were wrong to harbor those views, as opposed to simply silencing them from expressing the views they hold.
    I will attempt to be concise, as this is a complicated quagmire with much nuance. I agree in terms of the value of shows like "All in the Family" and how it addressed those issues head-on. One dimension I would like to add though, is that much of that was mainstream culture talking to itself about these issues.(hence the prevalence of "white savior" tropes) There was still a dearth of empowered voices coming from the "other" groups.

It's a constantly evolving discussion, but I think we are realizing how much media can promote harmful messages. And I don't think comedy has in any way been "destroyed" - I think we're realizing how much of comedy had been based on making fun of or dehumanizing others and it's ultimately fine to take that out of the arsenal, especially if audiences are more aware and then those jokes simply aren't so funny anymore. Controversial performers existed before and they still exist despite cancel culture. But society also regulates itself where James Gunn and Aziz Ansari still have careers because we've decided the claims against them were unfounded or blown out of proportion.

And personally, I liked it when racists felt they needed to keep it to themselves because at least they felt to some degree that those attitudes were no longer acceptable in culture.(and I'm talking about the time before being "PC" - since being "anti-PC" became a more acceptable way to buck societal progress, demonizing progress as an extreme leftist political stance)

Btw, has anyone seen "Breakfast at Tiffany's" lately? Mickey Rooney's character is ... something else.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-09-2022 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    And I don't think comedy has in any way been "destroyed" - I think we're realizing how much of comedy had been based on making fun of or dehumanizing others and it's ultimately fine to take that out of the arsenal, especially if audiences are more aware and then those jokes simply aren't so funny anymore. Controversial performers existed before and they still exist despite cancel culture.
    There is a big difference between the mean jokes not being funny and a push by a small segment of society to shame other people for finding them funny. That is why Joe Rogan makes $100M and Dave Chappell keeps getting Netflix specials, and Disney's stock price is in the toilet. And there's currently a lot of pushback on this to the point I think it the pendulum will swing the other way and businesses will eventually allow more 'bad words' than they ever did once they realize the Twitter mobs coming for them are paper tigers.

And I think that might be a good thing because I'm a big believer that if you don't like something, you change the channel or use it as a means to discuss how to make things better. You don't try to get it banned because all that does is bring more attention to it, like the imbeciles who tried to outlaw rock music as Satanic.

But society also regulates itself where James Gunn and Aziz Ansari still have careers because we've decided the claims against them were unfounded or blown out of proportion.
    I would say it is entirely subjective (who exactly is 'we', the heads of their studios who hired them?) who gets cancelled and who gets a pass, and it even goes beyond liberal/conservative. Those two examples you gave were given a pass because they are liberals AND because they were established, have friends in high places, and continued to have the potential to make the powers that be oodles of money. Cancel culture has never been as much about what you say as who you. (Point in fact, I heard Mel Gibson, Charlie Sheen, and JK Rowlings all have had some new content come out.)

In my opinion, we should stop trying to destroy people's lives just because they made a faux paus.

And personally, I liked it when racists felt they needed to keep it to themselves because at least they felt to some degree that those attitudes were no longer acceptable in culture.(and I'm talking about the time before being "PC" - since being "anti-PC" became a more acceptable way to buck societal progress, demonizing progress as an extreme leftist political stance).
    I take the opposite view. If you're a baker who refuses to bake gay wedding cakes, that's your business you're hurting, not mine. But say it loud and proud so that I don't accidently spend my hard earned money in your store. I don't think society is improved by bigotry hiding in the closet, and there is little difference between someone who in the 70s would've called you the n-word now smiling in your face and stabbing you in the back at the first opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    I take the opposite view. If you're a baker who refuses to bake gay wedding cakes, that's your business you're hurting, not mine. But say it loud and proud so that I don't accidently spend my hard earned money in your store. I don't think society is improved by bigotry hiding in the closet, and there is little difference between someone who in the 70s would've called you the n-word now smiling in your face and stabbing you in the back at the first opportunity.
    I think the problem is that mainstream culture has had its head in the sand thinking that deep-rooted racism was somehow fading away. It had been in the closet, (or more people turned a blind eye to it) before anyone was pressured to being PC which is the point - it's embedded in society and choosing to simply not support racists has proven to do nothing, especially because they weren't loud and proud about their prejudices. I don't agree with all the huge swings in the other direction because it has ended up alienating a lot of people, but I believe they're ultimately on the right side of history and there has to be a certain push to be actively against intolerant attitudes, there has to be a push to create genuine equality because intolerance has shown to still posess the greater momentum in people homes and towns, outside of liberal media pushback.

There are a lot of people who may not be racist but are so against hearing about how racist things are that they'll speak out more denying the messenger than against the reality of the message. And that doesn't help anything.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 07-09-2022 at 01:39 PM.

I want racism to die off and go away but not be hidden.

Im going to try and explain because that sounds odd. I hate that people feel they are free to be so open about hate now. But I am glad we are seeing who is who and what people feel and who they are. It makes it easier to confront the problem. I want to see a gay where racism and Homphobia/Transphobia are not real. But I doubt I will see that in my life time.

What I dont like is yelling Racism or Homophobia at every little thing. Every show with a racial or gay slur is not a racist or homophobic show.

I also dont need shows or music from 30 40 years or more taken away or explained to me. I know Gone with the Wind has a lot of issues. I know the Song Money for Nothing and Uneasy rider use a gay slur. I still listen to them because I like those songs. I dont need to be told when I hear them how homophobic Dire Straits and Charlie daniels are or how I am Homophobic for listening to them.

The PC crowd or the Woke mob is not as bad as some people let on. But on some things I am like Man give it a rest.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I want racism to die off and go away but not be hidden.

Im going to try and explain because that sounds odd. I hate that people feel they are free to be so open about hate now. But I am glad we are seeing who is who and what people feel and who they are. It makes it easier to confront the problem. I want to see a gay where racism and Homphobia/Transphobia are not real. But I doubt I will see that in my life time.

What I dont like is yelling Racism or Homophobia at every little thing. Every show with a racial or gay slur is not a racist or homophobic show.

I also dont need shows or music from 30 40 years or more taken away or explained to me. I know Gone with the Wind has a lot of issues. I know the Song Money for Nothing and Uneasy rider use a gay slur. I still listen to them because I like those songs. I dont need to be told when I hear them how homophobic Dire Straits and Charlie daniels are or how I am Homophobic for listening to them.

The PC crowd or the Woke mob is not as bad as some people let on. But on some things I am like Man give it a rest.
    I feel largely the same way. If you call everything racist, then the accusation simply loses (or in my opinion has lost) all effect. It's just the same people whining again, and everyone starts to ignore them.

I also think there is a big difference between active racism or homophobia and just saying something that can be offensive. When I was a kid, we called everything we didn't like 'gay' because we weren't supposed to use the word 'stupid' in school. (1980s logic.) But we weren't trying to be homophobic. Hell, most of us probably didn't even know what being gay was at that age. We just we heard the older kids saying it and thought we were cool. (I probably knew there were gay people out there by high school, but I don't think I actually met anyone who was Out until I got to college.)

I'm glad we now understand how that must've made the kids who were considering coming out feel, but at the same time it is annoying and counterproductive to whine about every little slight, particularly when the intent isn't actively racist or homophobic. The most glaring example I can think of is a white kid saying the n-word while singing rap music. I think we can all agree it shouldn't have been said, but there was no ill will like if someone actively calls someone that word. I view this as a teaching moment, and abhor the people who would try to ruin someone's life over it, even if at this point in the kid's life he can't understand why what he said was wrong. To me, they're the bad guys in this story.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

The problem is that both extremes (but somewhat more so the far left) have a lot of control over the media now and so love to imply that the opposite is controlling everything and trying to get away with stuff, thus riling people moderately left or right up and move more towards the extreme camps. People don't debate or try to understand the other side, just hate hate hate. White Straight Men are increasingly told they are monsters and nothing else and then others act surprised when they get angry about being told that. Entertainment increasingly gets lazier with messages in fiction with less nuance and subtly and then labels the merest of constructive critique as no different to the looneys death threating a non white male actor. People increasingly stick to one news outlet that tells them what they want to hear, rather than mixing things up and getting a wider and more balanced picture (hopefully).

I really would like the silent majority in the middle to speak up more and call out both extremes. I want to refuse to let media and the news tell me I have to be angry and fearful of everything not me or they should be angry and fearful of me.

I've been watching some films of the Scandinavian revival (primarily Danish and Swedish films made in the years after World War 2) and I'm really curious about how younger critics would respond to some of these films, given what they say about faith and gender roles. Recent examples would be Summer With Monika, Miss Julie and Ordet.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

From Tom & Jerry (MGM)

Blue Cat Blues

AFAIK, this episode hasn't been televised in a long while now.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    From Tom & Jerry (MGM)

Blue Cat Blues

AFAIK, this episode hasn't been televised in a long while now.
    Not since Cartoon Network stopped having its Boomerang hour.