Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Alan Grant, Co-Creator of Ventriloquist, Zzaz, and Anarky, Dies At 73

Alan Grant, the prolific comics writer who's work included Judge Dredd and Strontium Dog for 2000AD, and co-creating Ventriloquist, Victor Zzaz, and Anarky for Batman, has passed away aged 73. He also wrote the Batman/Judge Dredd crossovers.

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/al...er-dies-at-73/
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 07-21-2022 at 06:48 AM.

One of my favorite Bat-writers. His Detective/Batman/Shadow of the Bat runs with Breyfogle were great.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Grant was absolutely one of my favourite writers.

In an era where the Batman books were still clinging to outdated conventions Grant was a whirlwind of manic energy, evolution, dynamic action and memorable new characters. His pairing with Breyfogle was perfect.

I truly believe he opened the door for the massive upheaval/modernisation Batman books underwent in the 90's.

As much as I love Tim in the hands of Grant and Dixon onwards, Grant kicking around the idea of progressing Anarky into the new Robin is a great what if. Regardless, Grant quickly pushed Tim into something more than another bland good boy to follow Batman around.

Misfits is the reason for my avatar.

I long for the return of Joe Potato.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Incredible Member

I don’t know his American work anywhere like as well as did his British work, but to me he was one of the best comic writers of modern times his work with 2000AD over such a long period is incredible especially is work with Judge Anderson and things like Mazeworld. Here’s 2000AD tribute.

https://2000ad.com/news/alan-grant-1...bwNKKQTtPwXDFw

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

This is one of the saddest Batman creator passings for me. I was lucky to meet him and his wife once, he was as nice and approachable and interesting as you'd expect (though he said he & Grant Morrison were not particularly close, Alan didn't care for Grant's wife I believe).

I grew up with Alan Grant's Batman comics and always appreciated his dynamic creativity. His era is sort of a "PSA" era of Batman comics, tackling drugs, gangs, pollution, terrorism, indigenous people issues, etc, etc. And Grant always injected his stories and characters, good and bad, with some clever smart moral ambiguity.

Alan never wallowed in nihilism, but always had a great balance of grim n gritty and more positive uplifting moments.

He created Ventriloquist/Scarface, Zsasz and so many enduring characters. Even BTAS took notice of some of his, what then were, fairly recent character creations.

Alan simply was one of the best UK invasion talents we got to experience (alongside Morrison, Moore, Gaiman, etc).

http://www.gothamcalling.com/alan-gr...r-face-batman/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-21-2022 at 10:47 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Mighty Member

I was just thinking about him and Norm Breyfogle's run recently. What a complete loss. RIP.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

I've greatly enjoyed reading his comics work particularly his work on Batman. I think he really helped capture the character, his world, and the kind of stories people come to Batman to read, and his contributions to the franchise can't be stated enough.

RIP Alan Grant.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

The Nobody might be my favorite single issue Batman story ever.

Extraordinary Member

Along with Frank Miller and Bill Finger, Alan Grant was probably the Batman writer that most shaped how I saw the character.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

All-New Member

He was a great Batman writer, but his work over here in the UK on 2000AD was some of the best the comic ever produced, particularly when he was collaborating with John Wagner (under the shared Pseudonym T B Grover). It's hard to untangle who wrote what but on Judge Dredd alone they worked on the Judge Child saga, Judge Death Lives!, Block Mania, the Apocalypse War, and OZ (where they finally ended the Dredd collab over a disagreement over the ending). Very sad to hear he's passed.

My fondest memory of Alan Grant's run on Batman ironically happened during a difficult time in my life.

Long story short, I was recuperating from surgery and was introduced to Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle via 92's Shadow of the Bat series. To say I was hooked, was an understatement. Alan Grant was able to bring out the vulnerability in Batman while making him appear strong through his resiliency. Like Norm was one of my favorite Batman artists, Alan was one of my favorite Batman writers and he will most certainly be missed.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Rest In Peace Alan Grant. Your were a fine Batman and Judge Dredd writer.

BatDredd.jpg

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    My fondest memory of Alan Grant's run on Batman ironically happened during a difficult time in my life.

Long story short, I was recuperating from surgery and was introduced to Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle via 92's Shadow of the Bat series. To say I was hooked, was an understatement. Alan Grant was able to bring out the vulnerability in Batman while making him appear strong through his resiliency. Like Norm was one of my favorite Batman artists, Alan was one of my favorite Batman writers and he will most certainly be missed.
    That s it, man. Dusting off my Shadow trades tomorrow. Can t wait.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

It's a shame that DC phased the 90's Bat-writers out. I think in the comic book industry there's a reluctance to hire veteran comic book writers and artists for fear that readers might find them passe. This is a mindset that's not only ageist but also completely false. Most comic writers from the 90's wrote/write in a style that is as modern as comic books published today. A lot of industries have a similar bias, but I feel like the Big Two are leaving money - - and great stories on the table.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 07-25-2022 at 10:08 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    It's a shame that DC phased the 90's Bat-writers out. I think in the comic book industry there's a reluctance to hire veteran comic book writers and artists for fear that readers might find them passe. This is a mindset that's not only ageist but also completely false. Most comic writers from the 90's wrote/write in a style that is as modern as comic books published today. A lot of industries have a similar bias, but I feel like the Big Two are leaving money - - and great stories on the table.
    I believe he was still writing for 2000AD up until 2018.