Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Gotham City: Year One by Tom King and Phil Hester

Kicking off a weekend of announcements at San Diego Comic-Con, DC has revealed an upcoming six-issue limited series written by Tom King and Phil Hester – Gotham City: Year One.

How did Gotham become such an active cesspool of criminal activity? Gotham City: Year One will explore the city's fall from grace, two generations before Batman made it his mission to rid his hometown of dangerous villains.

Written by King and Hester, illustrated by Eric Gapstur, colored by Jordie Bellaire, and lettered by Clayton Cowles, Gotham City: Year One will follow private investigator Slam Bradley as he gets caught up in the "kidnapping of the century" – AKA the disappearance of infant Wayne heir Helen.

I assume this Helen is Thomas's mother, and thus Bruce's grandmother?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So Helen runs in the family.

I mean, King seems to enjoy writing noir heroes or type characters with a bit of grit to them, although I hope this turns out well for Slam Bradley.

I don't think there's much interest in an old Gotham story...but wait, would Alan Scott show up in this?

Astonishing Member

Slam Bradley would've been enough to get my attention, but when you throw in that creative team I am all in.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think there's much interest in an old Gotham story...but wait, would Alan Scott show up in this?
    Was thinking the same thing, but his presence would probably feel a bit weird in this book all things considered.

Extraordinary Member

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Slam Bradley would've been enough to get my attention, but when you throw in that creative team I am all in.
    On the other hand, this sounds like the type of book I'd buy in a hot second, but the one roadblock is the damn writer!

I'm sorry, DC, but "Tom King" unfortunately makes this a pass (unless I later find out Phil Hester's input sufficiently overcomes King's writing foibles).

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    On the other hand, this sounds like the type of book I'd buy in a hot second, but the one roadblock is the damn writer!

I'm sorry, DC, but "Tom King" unfortunately makes this a pass (unless I later find out Phil Hester's input sufficiently overcomes King's writing foibles).
    This is exactly what i was thinking. I would have loved this had it been just about any other writer.

Spectacular Member

This would be absolutely perfect for an HBO Max series.

And I guess it'll make for a pretty good comic too.

Anyway, they had me at Gotham City and at Year One.

Bravo, DC. This is the kind of Bat-book that I love.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    This is exactly what i was thinking. I would have loved this had it been just about any other writer.
    OMG! Me three! This kinda story is right up my alley, except the writer…
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I like that King can find a niche and write his own story.

I bet this will be a regular degular detective story but using characters and settings from the DC Universe.

Super smart and I am totally looking forward to it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I bet this will be a regular degular detective story but using characters and settings from the DC Universe.
    The problem is I'm pretty sceptical about King ability to write good detective stories.

There have been so many to King stories that looked like they would gonna be amazing, and ended up so disappointing that I have no expectation for this to be any good.

Such disdain for a talented writer......but I confess he's an acquired taste. (I enjoyed most of his Batman run, and I'm presently enjoying Human Target)

Alas for me, I just find year one back stories kind of dry.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I have Not read human target or Rorschach because BatCat is a turn-off but Vision and Mister Miracle were something special. This is worth a look