Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default DC Teases the Permanent Death of a Justice League Character - is it Clark?

https://www.cbr.com/dc-teases-perman...paign=CBR-FB-P

Putting aside any eye rolls over the word "permanent", given the 30th anniversary of his original death and the desire to push Jon Kent, I'm thinking they're going to put Clark in the ground indefinitely.

Thoughts?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post

Putting aside any eye rolls over the word "permanent", given the 30th anniversary of his original death and the desire to push Jon Kent, I'm thinking they're going to put Clark in the ground indefinitely.

Thoughts?
    It's probably Ollie if I had to guess. His death was basically getting his neck broken by Doomsday if I recall, not getting shunted off to another universe. I think the Superman stuff is a fake out. It may just be me taking two big lungfuls of copium and a hit of hope dope, but I don't think Jon has taken off enough to convince DC that Clark needs to be put in the ground. Not when he's got a show on television, another coming out and has proven to be their favorite villain.

If nothing else, their obsession with evil Superman means they probably want him around.

I'm so angry that I realized that.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Thoughts?
    Why would you think it’s Clark when Action is continuing to star him? Kal-El Returns pretty obviously takes place post Dark Crisis.
    Last edited by Vordan; 07-21-2022 at 11:40 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Yeah, Oliver makes much more sense. Connor Hawke was recently reintroduced, and like last time Ollie died, can take over the Green Arrow mantle.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Thoughts?
    No shot it clark. That just asking to set fire to Taylor book and with the higher ups in Discovery now wanting to "revitalize" the superman ip they're going to let anyone in the comic book scene do something to push a character that is some times selling less then AC despite having the promotion & Supporting cast to back it up

It most likely Green arrow or Hawkgirl as there just redundancy now that can easily take over

Thoughts?
    If you mean the Clark Kent half of Kal (the secret identity) maybe. If you mean Kal, then no. Action is gearing up for a new arc and it features Kal. No way will both books feature just Jon.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 07-22-2022 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    If you mean the Clark Kent half of Kal (the secret identity) maybe. If you mean Kal, then no. Action is gearing up for a new arc and it features Kal. No way will both books feature just Jon.
    Is Clark even around anymore? I mean obviously he hasn't had a secret identity for a few years, but I feel like DC just doesn't value Clark Kent reporter in general any more. Haven't seen him for a while. And arguably he stopped being used regularly back in like.b2006 or something. Maybe even 2001.

Anyway, all that aside, I doubt they'll kill Superman. I don't think there's anyone I would be okay with seeing die and stay dead though from the League.

Maybe Hawkman. Is Hawkman on the Kill List? I don't remember who's on the kill list.
    Last edited by Adekis; 07-22-2022 at 04:40 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm so angry that I realized that.
    Yeah. I'd like to offer you a friendly "F you" for pointing that, I'm never gonna un-see this.

Kidding, of course!

I actually agree with you entirely. Jon doesn't seem to have caught on in a big enough way for him to completely replace Clark. We haven't heard anything about PKJ leaving and we know he's sticking around for at least another arc or two, which should give us at least another six-twelve months with him. I don't see him shifting focus to Jon in the middle of his story, nor do I see DC letting Action remain set before Dark Crisis a year after it's over.

Ollie is the most obvious suspect; he picked a fight with Doomsday after all. But that might be *too* obvious, so I'll toss out Canary as an alternate possibility; we do have a Red Canary about to debut and Dinah's one of the few major-ish heroes who hasn't died before. At least not that I can recall.

I very much doubt it's Clark. Not right now, not with sales the way they are (insofar as we can tell). There's damn little I don't put past DC, but they've been putting a lot of effort into Clark this past year or two with a strong team on Action and a steady stream of quality mini's. It'd be a weird shift to write him out now.

But then, I very much doubt anybody is gonna die "permanently" either. Maybe that's DC's plan here, and they truly and honestly mean it....but somebody will change their minds sooner or later, and with the Discovery purchase odds we're gonna see another big shakeup within management so the people who approved the "dead forever Leaguer" idea won't have the job a year from now to enforce it. Only the Waynes and Uncle Ben stay dead. Oh wait, Flashpoint Batman is a thing now. Okay, only Uncle Ben stays dead.

As for Clark's civilian life, yeah we haven't seen much of the Planet or Clark's reporting in a long time. The entire genre has shifted away from that sorta thing, most heroes are active 100% of the time or their "civilian/personal" time gets glossed over. Bendis did more with the journalism than most writers lately, but that largely got derailed when Clark went public and the narrative shifted from Clark reporting the news to being the news. Then PKJ took Clark off-world. It annoys me, and I think Superman especially needs that balance between the heroism and the more mundane, human things, but it's been an issue with comics as a whole for years now, it's not just an issue with Clark.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-22-2022 at 08:33 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Honestly my gut tells me they'll kill off Barry again. Not for another 30 years or anything but I could see it being him. It'd be a convenience that you can't tell which Flash it is on the cover. And the lack of creativity in it for the on-the-nose parallel to the original story is right up current DC's alley.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 07-22-2022 at 08:58 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Some credence to the theory it's Clark...

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...edium=facebook

Some credence to the theory it's Clark...

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...edium=facebook
    On the big if that it happens to be what they're doing, I think I'd finally be able to cut the cord and just give up completely. I still have strong doubts that's what this is, even someone as pessimistic as me. But if it is, I think that'd be all folks.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    On the big if that it happens to be what they're doing, I think I'd finally be able to cut the cord and just give up completely. I still have strong doubts that's what this is, even someone as pessimistic as me. But if it is, I think that'd be all folks.
    Yeah. Other than stuff like the Superman 78 sequel and perhaps Waid's Superman projects , id be out. I hold no ill will to the Jon fans or the Jon as Superman fans, but to me at least, Jon will never be THE Superman. Its Clark Kent/Kal-El or bust IMHO.

Would i come back if Clark came back as the lone Superman in a big way....maybe....but I'm 42 years old. To quote Lt. Murtaugh from LETHAL WEAPON, " im getting too old for this ****."
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I don't read Action but doesn't Johnson have amother arc coming that could keep him on Action into next summer. If so and assuming he will not be forced to replace Clark with Jon, I don't see Clark being killed off. Guess they could have Action taking place in a different timeline than Sof K but that gets messy.

BANNED

It's going to be Ollie. Makes the most sense: he's a big enough name to get some traction when the news hits the media but not so crucial that his absence will affect post-DCOIE plans.

Ollie makes the most sense to me too.

But like I said on another thread somewhere, I'm gonna toss in Canary as a possible choice too. She's never had a big Death Event and we have a new legacy ready to take her place.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.