Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dungeons & Dragons

Dungeons & Dragons trailer is out it doesn't look bad but then again I've never played it before can you DD players tell me if it's any good or at least better than the original movie?

https://screenrant.com/dungeons-drag...er-chris-pine/

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

It looks better than the previous movies, but that's a very low bar. It looks to me like a Clash of the Titans style CGI fest with... not very great CGI. I was unimpressed by the trailer but will reserve final judgment.

The game isn't "all spectacle, all the time" and a movie based on the game shouldn't be either.

been playing since '81, hated the earlier movie (and the direct to video sequel), but this looks like a lot of fun. Nice balance of humor and action, which is the recipe I see at most D&D tables I have ever played at. Lots of nods to classic monsters, lots of great location shots in the trailer (actual location shots not done on soundstage or via greenscreen). It wasn't perfect, but it looks like it'll be a fun viewing experience that I am looking forward to. I was skeptical going in, but the trailer won me over that there's a good chance this will be successful enough to start getting a regular flow of D&D content on the big screen (and hopefully small screen too) to supplement all the liveplay streams that have to fill that content niche.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Nice balance of humor and action
    That and I didn't see anything really over the top in the trailer except for the Paladin(?) doing a big aerial attack on the red dragon. There seems to be a minimum of slow motion shots, so it may not have typical action flick cinematography. I guess we'll never be free of classic rock hits in movies since Marvel made them a staple.

I'll give it a go.
    Sounds perfect.

I wonder what the Venn diagram would look like for the "no humor!" chapter of MCU haters and people that will likely be taking exception with too many jokes in this D&D film. I'm imagining almost 100% overlap.

Looks fun. Owlbear! Displacer Beast!
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That and I didn't see anything really over the top in the trailer except for the Paladin(?) doing a big aerial attack on the red dragon. There seems to be a minimum of slow motion shots, so it may not have typical action flick cinematography. I guess we'll never be free of classic rock hits in movies since Marvel made them a staple.

I'll give it a go.
    It may be over the top, but I had a ranger do the same thing off a roof at a dragon back when we played through Red Hand of Doom about a decade or so ago. It may be "over the top" but it's also quintessential D&D.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    I wonder what the Venn diagram would look like for the "no humor!" chapter of MCU haters and people that will likely be taking exception with too many jokes in this D&D film. I'm imagining almost 100% overlap.

Looks fun. Owlbear! Displacer Beast!
    People who think humor has no place in D&D never read through 1E AD&D books, the Player's Handbook is full or cartoons and puns (like the spell component for the ESP spell being a copper piece, i.e. a penny for your thoughts.

And here's some of those cartoons form the PHB and DMG...

so if they try to tell you humor has no place in D&D, then they're out of their mind and just wrong.

-M

Astonishing Member

I haven't even watched the trailer or played D&D but just the cast got me intrigued.

If its anything like the DnD campaigns I played, the movie won't be finished.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 07-22-2022 at 10:56 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    If its anything like the DnD campaigns I played, the movie won't be finished.
    LOL!

I am dead.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I am really looking forward to this. It looks fun and hope it leads to more Dnd content. Dnd has more fastasy lore then really any other fantasy world and setting and this includes LotR and Warhammer and all the others.

I will be seeing this
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I played D&D a bit when I was kid, but I imagine the movie will have a ton of references that will just go over my head. Aside from that, I had two main reactions to the trailer:
    -- The CGI looks high qulaity, but it ultimately just leaves me cold. Nothing seems to have real weight and everything just moves so fast, nothing I saw in the trailer conveys danger or drama to me.
    -- Why are they all theives? Isn't the point about having a mix of characters? Personally, I would have preferred if they started this as a slight adaptation of the cartoon show, but have them actually be their characters rather than kids transported into a fantasy realm. (and who wouldn't want to see a live action Venger?)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I played D&D a bit when I was kid, but I imagine the movie will have a ton of references that will just go over my head. Aside from that, I had two main reactions to the trailer:
    -- The CGI looks high qulaity, but it ultimately just leaves me cold. Nothing seems to have real weight and everything just moves so fast, nothing I saw in the trailer conveys danger or drama to me.
    -- Why are they all theives? Isn't the point about having a mix of characters? Personally, I would have preferred if they started this as a slight adaptation of the cartoon show, but have them actually be their characters rather than kids transported into a fantasy realm. (and who wouldn't want to see a live action Venger?)
    Thieves isn't their class (thief is no longer a class in D&D, replaced by rogues) it's what they do for a living-steal stuff (out of dungeons instead of out of people's home in this case). The classes of characters are actually Bard (Chris Pine), barbarian (Michele Rodriguez), sorcerer (Justice Smith) druid (Sophia Lillis) and paladin (Rege-Jean Page). Most adventuring parties in D&D are essentially thieves-killing thing and taking their stuff.

-M

Extraordinary Member

Trailer looks good gonna check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Thieves isn't their class (thief is no longer a class in D&D, replaced by rogues) it's what they do for a living-steal stuff (out of dungeons instead of out of people's home in this case). The classes of characters are actually Bard (Chris Pine), barbarian (Michele Rodriguez), sorcerer (Justice Smith) druid (Sophia Lillis) and paladin (Rege-Jean Page). Most adventuring parties in D&D are essentially thieves-killing thing and taking their stuff.
    OOoooh, okay. That sounds more appealing then. Thanks for the clarification.