Amazing Member

Default Question about sale numbers...

Call me crazy or cynical, but what exactly do sale numbers mean to you guys? I mean, just because a series sells a lot doesn't mean that people actually bought it because it is good or that they are actually going to read it. They could sell it to somebody else, use it as material for a bed or fire, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragolord09 View Post
    Call me crazy or cynical, but what exactly do sale numbers mean to you guys? I mean, just because a series sells a lot doesn't mean that people actually bought it because it is good or that they are actually going to read it. They could sell it to somebody else, use it as material for a bed or fire, etc.
    I use the sales numbers mostly to see if the series I buy are in danger of getting cancelled. Sales numbers as such are irrelevant for determining whether I buy the series or not, but I do find it interesting to see what is selling at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpace View Post
    I use the sales numbers mostly to see if the series I buy are in danger of getting cancelled. Sales numbers as such are irrelevant for determining whether I buy the series or not, but I do find it interesting to see what is selling at the time.
    Pretty much this.
    I use them when i feel the need to get all depressed about how close many of my favourite titles must be to cancellation.

Maybe sale numbers could help us to figure out what series are going to be collected in TPBs?

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Maybe sale numbers could help us to figure out what series are going to be collected in TPBs?
    What sales numbers do you mean? Because practically all current series get tpb's. Or are you talking about sales numbers of the older series? I guess popularity is more important to reprinting older series, but sales probably play a part too.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    That would be both yes and no. The series that sell a lot will be collected, obviously, but some series don't sell that much as single issues, but as trades they sell extremely well.

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    What sales numbers do you mean? Because practically all current series get tpb's. Or are you talking about sales numbers of the older series? I guess popularity is more important to reprinting older series, but sales probably play a part too.
    Sorry, I mean hardcover editions.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpace View Post
    That would be both yes and no. The series that sell a lot will be collected, obviously, but some series don't sell that much as single issues, but as trades they sell extremely well.
    You're right, but usually the best sellers get the hardcover treatment quickly.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

There's never been a correlation between sales and quality. Sales indicate popularity. That doesn't mean that a high quality book can't sell well, but that the two things are rarely related. Most progressive work in the medium that has become regarded as classic was not among the best sellers of its time.

Collected Comics Library chrisccl's Avatar

If you'd like to know more about sales, both comics and trades, John Mayo, of these very same Comic Book Resources and I do a monthly podcast on John's Comic Book Page, http://www.comicbookpage.com/.

BTW, this is my first post on these revamped boards. Glad to be back in the fold!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrisccl View Post
    If you'd like to know more about sales, both comics and trades, John Mayo, of these very same Comic Book Resources and I do a monthly podcast on John's Comic Book Page, http://www.comicbookpage.com/.

BTW, this is my first post on these revamped boards. Glad to be back in the fold!

Chris
    Hello. I've decided to give your podcast a try. Cheers!