Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Rosenberg writing a Joker comic? Uhuu, this is potentially ****, but I want to see where it goes.

Oh wow, Joker coming back to Gotham sure happened fast. And he doesn't seem to care about fighting Batman again at the moment.

Wait, isn't Two-Face supposed to be healed now?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I'm sure it will be just as great as The Joker A Puzzlebox by the same writer which I gave up on after 2 issues.

It didn't surprise me negatively, I didn't expect anything good.

Okay, was not expecting that twist.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I'm kinda surprised we got so much of Joker this issue, I was expecting this to be another book where another character gets most of the POV like how the last Joker serires was basically a Gordon book in disguise. With how much Red Hood was teased, I figured this would end up being his book. Maybe next issue things will switch up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Okay, was not expecting that twist.
    I saw someone point out on another site that clayface is mentioned in the solicitations for issue 4, wonder if that is what explains the twist..

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I'm kinda surprised we got so much of Joker this issue, I was expecting this to be another book where another character gets most of the POV like how the last Joker serires was basically a Gordon book in disguise. With how much Red Hood was teased, I figured this would end up being his book. Maybe next issue things will switch up.

I saw someone point out on another site that clayface is mentioned in the solicitations for issue 4, wonder if that is what explains the twist..
    Eh, terrorism like that isn't Clayface's thing. And the other Joker was laying in his own blood. And considering Clayface hasn't been able to actually bleed in some time, yeah.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

The solicits also spoiled there is a fake Joker running around

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    The solicits also spoiled there is a fake Joker running around
    But Clayface? Eh, just seems too obvious.

Astonishing Member

This truly wasn't bad. Which doesn't mean it won't go off the rails into stupid 2022-era cliche banality within four issues, but credit where credit is due, DC gave in to its baser "just gimme your money, you dumb kids" instinct a while ago, and the JOKER series Tynion just did should have been terrible but was ironically pretty good. Private Eye book about Gordon that also worked as a pseudo-sequel to like ... a bunch of bad New 52 books but with interesting concepts that pulled off those concepts better than they ever were back in the New 52 while "fixing" things to work in the uber-continuity? I truly didn't hate it.

So here we go with this. Just as first issues go, nothing really drives the direction until the reveal, although we could pretty much see it coming as it went. JOKER in L.A.? I mean they did that back in Knightquest. Two dah dah dah ... we know that from recently. So on, so forth. But yeah, I don't know, I don't hate any of it. I even liked the ridiculous back-up as a sort of Joker dream or Joker fantasy.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Well, with Jason and Harley being shown, I guess we know why they weren't in Dark Crisis; they got a clown to kill.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well, with Jason and Harley being shown, I guess we know why they weren't in Dark Crisis; they got a clown to kill.
    Jason is literally with the Titans after Deathstroke's attack tho.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Jason is literally with the Titans after Deathstroke's attack tho.
    And Harley was in the first issue of dark crisis being recruited into the justice league.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    It feels like the Joker has had a lot of stories where he is a prominent character over the last few years. Not all in continuity but still to the point where I am kind of sick of him and I feel like it diminishes his impact as a character when he is everywhere. His book sells well but I still think it ironically is bad for the character. I don't think the Joker needs a book, I think the best can be taken out of him when he is used sparingly and cleverly.

I can't think of a single Rosenberg book that I have read and enjoyed. Just a load of insipid comics. At least this book gives him work instead of DC putting him on one of their important books.
    Meh...I strongly disagree. There are a lot of Joker fans who like to see the nuance of the character, and the main series doesn't really give us that, usually, so Elseworlds don't count for oversaturation, imo. There's a difference between oversaturation and depth, and I think what we're getting with the Joker is character depth, and it's what a lot of fans of the character enjoy. When he's not used as the main villain, he's just a great character on his own, and I'd be happy with a whole long-running Joker Elseworlds series, honestly. I don't understand why people think that he's overused if the stories are good and the characters are well-written. People don't normally take this attitude toward Batman, even though there are supporting character who may be more interesting to follow. Plus, if you don't like the Elseworlds take on the character, you don't have to read any of it. It's not canon to the main series anyway, just like the Joker movie isn't canon to the main series.
    Last edited by kcomics; 10-05-2022 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcomics View Post
    Meh...I strongly disagree. There are a lot of Joker fans who like to see the nuance of the character, and the main series doesn't really give us that, usually, so Elseworlds don't count for oversaturation, imo. There's a difference between oversaturation and depth, and I think what we're getting with the Joker is character depth, and it's what a lot of fans of the character enjoy. When he's not used as the main villain, he's just a great character on his own, and I'd be happy with a whole long-running Joker Elseworlds series, honestly. I don't understand why people think that he's overused if the stories are good and the characters are well-written. People don't normally take this attitude toward Batman, even though there are supporting character who may be more interesting to follow. Plus, if you don't like the Elseworlds take on the character, you don't have to read any of it. It's not canon to the main series anyway, just like the Joker movie isn't canon to the main series.
    In what universe do people not complain about Batman being in too many books?