Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

I have absolutely no idea what is Rosenberg attempting to do here but unless we're in for another "Joker mutilated himself for the lulz" period, the guy we're following is just thinking he's the Joker. The cover with Clayface probably spoiled the twist.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    It feels like the Joker has had a lot of stories where he is a prominent character over the last few years. Not all in continuity but still to the point where I am kind of sick of him and I feel like it diminishes his impact as a character when he is everywhere. His book sells well but I still think it ironically is bad for the character. I don't think the Joker needs a book, I think the best can be taken out of him when he is used sparingly and cleverly.

I can't think of a single Rosenberg book that I have read and enjoyed. Just a load of insipid comics. At least this book gives him work instead of DC putting him on one of their important books.
    DC's Elseworlds really take the opportunity to expand upon the characters, especially the villains, and Joker is just great in Elseworlds. Not giving fans that and relegating him strictly to the villain role after he's gotten so much character development would just be unsatisfying. I know you could argue that that's what fanfiction is for, but it's more satisfying when the actual DC writers do it. I don't understand the people who just want to see the Joker as a villain; he's been given plenty of character development in Elseworlds, and if you don't like the Elseworlds takes on the Joker, you can just pretend they aren't canon and enjoy the main series. There's no real harm in using the Joker outside of the villain role, especially when fans want to see him that way.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what is Rosenberg attempting to do here but unless we're in for another "Joker mutilated himself for the lulz" period, the guy we're following is just thinking he's the Joker. The cover with Clayface probably spoiled the twist.
    I hope it's not Clayface. I hope it's actually another Joker from the multiverse or a really good imposter, like in the Brave and the Bold comics. They've got so many callbacks to that, with the costumes and backup Silver-Age style comics in every issue. That's what the twist should be.

None of the Joker's appearances in recent years have done the character any good. Some even left a window open to a large amount of garbage, like Three Jokers.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    None of the Joker's appearances in recent years have done the character any good. Some even left a window open to a large amount of garbage, like Three Jokers.
    I didn't like Three Jokers but just because they implied that the Joker abused his wife, and in the Return of Hush comic where we first learn about that plot point, he seems to really care about her, like maybe she's the reason he does most of his crimes at the beginning of his criminal career or something, so to have that retconned and to have the writers say, "nope, fooled you, the Joker's always been a POS even before he became the Joker" is a bit unsatisfying.

Of course, it does open up chances to tell new stories, like if the man who became the Joker has anger issues, maybe that's how he developed the Joker personality in the first place? Maybe it was a Dr. Jekyl vs. Mr. Hyde kind of thing with Hyde ultimately winning out? There are lots of ways to approach that where it makes a satisfying story and an at least mildly sympathetic character.

In either case, I'm not sure how any of this "ruins" the Joker's character; there have been many takes on the character throughout the decades he's existed in comics, so what's the harm in a few extra to add to fan lore? Plus, if you don't like it, just stick to the main series. It's doubtful any of this will ever become canon anyway.

I'm wondering if the Joker's "real name" is canon, though? Jack Oswald White is a terrible name for the Joker!
    Last edited by kcomics; 12-08-2022 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kcomics View Post
    I didn't like Three Jokers but just because they implied that the Joker abused his wife, and in the Return of Hush comic where we first learn about that plot point, he seems to really care about her, like maybe she's the reason he does most of his crimes at the beginning of his criminal career or something, so to have that retconned and to have the writers say, "nope, fooled you, the Joker's always been a POS even before he became the Joker" is a bit unsatisfying.

Of course, it does open up chances to tell new stories, like if the man who became the Joker has anger issues, maybe that's how he developed the Joker personality in the first place? Maybe it was a Dr. Jekyl vs. Mr. Hyde kind of thing with Hyde ultimately winning out? There are lots of ways to approach that where it makes a satisfying story and an at least mildly sympathetic character.

In either case, I'm not sure how any of this "ruins" the Joker's character; there have been many takes on the character throughout the decades he's existed in comics, so what's the harm in a few extra to add to fan lore? Plus, if you don't like it, just stick to the main series. It's doubtful any of this will ever become canon anyway.

I'm wondering if the Joker's "real name" is canon, though? Jack Oswald White is a terrible name for the Joker!
    I doubt anything from Three Jokers will catch on, to be honest.

Yeah, the biggest issue people had with Three Jokers was that it was fully intended to be the new status quo for the characters but everyone was written horribly on it. Thankfully the backlash made DC scrap those plans and now 3J is just a weird and forgettable elseworld.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Yeah, the biggest issue people had with Three Jokers was that it was fully intended to be the new status quo for the characters but everyone was written horribly on it. Thankfully the backlash made DC scrap those plans and now 3J is just a weird and forgettable elseworld.
    But it’s not an Elseworld though. And that is not me arguing like an opinion, it’s just set in stories that definitely happened in continuity even with reality changes having taken place.

Darkseid War happened, the Rebirth one-shot definitely happened in continuity, and even chip Zdarsky’s newest run made reference to it in Bruce’s nightmare. Sure it’s nebulous/ever green when it happens but it can’t be denied that it did happen. If you just don’t like it and don’t want to acknowledge it frequently that’s fine.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    But it’s not an Elseworld though. And that is not me arguing like an opinion, it’s just set in stories that definitely happened in continuity even with reality changes having taken place.

Darkseid War happened, the Rebirth one-shot definitely happened in continuity, and even chip Zdarsky’s newest run made reference to it in Bruce’s nightmare. Sure it’s nebulous/ever green when it happens but it can’t be denied that it did happen. If you just don’t like it and don’t want to acknowledge it frequently that’s fine.
    No other writer has acknowledged it's events and it don't fit either with the current stories, therefore is an else world now.

Extraordinary Member

The Joker: The Man Who Stopped Laughing #4 Preview
    Writer: Matthew Rosenberg
    Artist: Carmen Di Giandomenico

Make-a-Wish Joker.

This book feels just like a bunch of vignettes barely connected by a thread and the padding is awful. The main feature could've been easily told in two issues instead of four.

The Joker could sit in the fridge for a while, not showing up, raising questions, so that when he reappears in Batman it will be something meaningful......but DC prefers to do this ****.

I honestly didn't expect this to blow up the way it did.