Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Extraordinary Member

Friday at San Diego Comic-Con during the Gotham panel, DC revealed a new six-issue limited series starring Renee Montoya. GCPD: The Blue Wall is written by John Ridley and illustrated by Stefano Raffaele, and it debuts in October.

GCPD: The Blue Wall will follow Montoya in her new role as GCPD commissioner. She wants to rebuild the department and restore Gotham's faith in its police officers, which could be especially hard considering how bad things have been in the city lately.

To enact her plan, Renee will enlist top officials and new officers alike, and ask them to deal with the reality of symbolizing law and order in Gotham, where people use their superpowers for extreme evil on a regular basis. Renee herself has another identity, the Question, though there's no indication (yet) that she'll assume this role in the upcoming GCPD series.

The first issue will feature cover art by Reiko Murakami, Franceso Francavilla, and Jorge Fornes.

Last edited by Hypo; 07-22-2022 at 01:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Spectacular Member

Now this is more like it.

This is the kind of stuff from John Ridley that I want.

Thank you, Detective Comics Comics!

So...Gotham Central by way of John Ridley?

Is this to explain why Renee leaves Gotham again?

I still don't understand Renee as The Question.

I mean, she originally took on the identity of The Question after Victor Sage died, but since he's back in action as The Question these days, did he ever die from cancer in the first place?

And if he's back, when did Renee become The Question and would she now still be The Question?

I know . . . EVERY F?@&IN' THING HAPPENED, but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I mean, she originally took on the identity of The Question after Victor Sage died, but since he's back in action as The Question these days, did he ever die from cancer in the first place?

And if he's back, when did Renee become The Question and would she now still be The Question?

Renee and Vic talked about this in the recent Lois Lane series.

"It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

As a big fan of Gotham Central, I plan on checking this out. People will definitely be comparing it to Gotham Central.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    As a big fan of Gotham Central, I plan on checking this out. People will definitely be comparing it to Gotham Central.
    Yeah, GOTHAM CENTRAL is in my top-ten favorite DC Comics.

Hopefully this can lead into a GCPD: THE BLUE WALL ongoing.

I'm still a little bummed that the Gotham City Police Department HBO Max spin-off from The Batman has turned into some type of Arkham show. That'll probably still be good, but I would have rather had a Gotham City Police Department show.

I guess the hang-up was that the star of the show was going to be a corrupt cop, and Warner Bros. didn't want a corrupt cop as the star. And Matt Reeves didn't want to change it, so they're doing the Arkham thing instead.

Anyway, GCPD: THE BLUE WALL will tide me over.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Renee and Vic talked about this in the recent Lois Lane series.

So basically they just say we don't know

The way I handle this kind of thing is by process of elimination, and since I don't know this lore, I have to ask
    - When did Vic Sage died
    - How does The Question power work, was it transferred to another person and only one person can wield it or can it be both?
    - Was The New 52 Question identity was ever revealed? I only knew that he can be as old as Pandora (a cavewoman) and Phantom Stranger (Judas Iscariot) though I suspect he's closer to the modern age
    - Is Vic also The Question currently?

Ignoring that particular part, hoy, you got what you wanted, a Gotham Central like book, only with The Question added. Will you be picking this up?
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-22-2022 at 03:47 PM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

This I am looking forward to. Written by an excellent writer with amazing art.

Spectacular Member

And you say Gotham City...

GCPD: THE BLUE WALL #1
    Written by JOHN RIDLEY
    Art by STEFANO RAFFAELE
    Cover by REIKO MURAKAMI
    Variant cover by FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA
    1:25 variant cover by JORGE FORNES
    1:50 case file variant cover
    $3.99 US | 32 pages | 1 of 6 | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 10/18/22
    Still relatively early in her tenure as GCPD commissioner, Renee Montoya sets out to rebuild her department and restore public faith in the historically troubled PD during some of the worst conditions it's ever seen. But Renee can't do it alone—in order for her plan to work, everyone from the topmost officials all the way down to the most fresh-faced new officers must contend with the harsh realities of being a symbol of law and order in a city of super-powered saviors and superhuman lawlessness. DC is proud to present GCPD: The Blue Wall by the stellar team of Academy Award-winning writer John Ridley and artist Stefano Raffaele. This six-part miniseries is a thought-provoking and riveting story of everyday people trying to do good in the midst of a flawed system. No one said protecting a city like Gotham would be easy.
    And this is how it's done.

They should do an HBO Max series about this...

I say that about everything.

No, I guess the only one they'd do is one that's a tie-in to The Batman.

Maybe Renee Montoya can be in the next Matt Reeves Batman movie...

Anyway, yep, "...a thought-provoking and riveting story of everyday people trying to do good in the midst of a flawed system."

That's how you do it.

Astonishing Member

I hope Josie Mac is included.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

The way I handle this kind of thing is by process of elimination, and since I don't know this lore, I have to ask
    - When did Vic Sage died
    - How does The Question power work, was it transferred to another person and only one person can wield it or can it be both?
    What "power"?

The Question is a guy who asks a lot of questions and looks for answers.
    His "costume" involves a mask that covers his face and is held on by chemicals & a special gas that alters the color of his hair and clothes (unless they've changed things since the last century).

- Was The New 52 Question identity was ever revealed?
    I prefer to ignore that version.

You mean it was someone else over the past couple of years?

Ignoring that particular part, hoy, you got what you wanted, a Gotham Central like book, only with The Question added. Will you be picking this up?
    Don't know yet.
    Wasn't impressed by what little of I am Batman that I've read.

- When did Vic Sage died
    - Was The New 52 Question identity was ever revealed? I only knew that he can be as old as Pandora (a cavewoman) and Phantom Stranger (Judas Iscariot) though I suspect he's closer to the modern age

Vic Sage died in 52 #38.
    Neither Vic nor Renee have powers. The Question face is an adhesive.
    I don’t believe the New 52 Question’s identity was ever revealed.
    I believe Vic showed up as the Question in some of Bendis’ stuff.