Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I remain mystified as to why DC or Ridley or both is so fixated on this direction for Renee, to the point that neither of them have even bothered to explain it whatsoever. Like they just did it one day, and if you expect an explanation, too bad.

Renee was back as a detective in the New 52; fine. It's a reboot, makes sense, okay.

Renee starts being the Question again due to basically becoming aware of her New Earth past. Again, fine. Makes sense with what was going on elsewhere.

But now she's been back to the GCPD for 2 years now... why exactly? Where was this explained? I honestly don't know of anywhere where this drastic character shift has been explained. Not in the comics themselves, not in interviews, nothing. I feel like I'm going crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Looks like Benny Montoya is back.
    Last edited by Caivu; 07-22-2022 at 11:15 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    I remain mystified as to why DC or Ridley or both is so fixated on this direction for Renee, to the point that neither of them have even bothered to explain it whatsoever. Like they just did it one day, and if you expect an explanation, too bad.

Renee was back as a detective in the New 52; fine. It's a reboot, makes sense, okay.

Renee starts being the Question again due to basically becoming aware of her New Earth past. Again, fine. Makes sense with what was going on elsewhere.

But now she's been back to the GCPD for 2 years now... why exactly? Where was this explained? I honestly don't know of anywhere where this drastic character shift has been explained. Not in the comics themselves, not in interviews, nothing. I feel like I'm going crazy.
    This explanation didn't work for you, from an interview done on DC's website... ?

Before we wrap up, I’d like to address Renee Montoya, a character you’ve written quite a lot of recently. Your Other History of the DC Universe retold her story seen in Gotham Central and 52 of a woman who was disillusioned with the police, and left to seek her own truth as the Question. But, in Second Son and I Am Batman, we’ve seen a very different side to Montoya as police commissioner, enforcing laws she doesn’t even seem to believe in herself. How did Renee get here? Has she forgotten her ideals, or is there something we’re not seeing?

Renee is a character, just, her longevity and her progress has been remarkable. One of the things that’s great about comic book storytelling is even outside of the spaces I’ve worked in, there’s progression of these characters. They’ve been around a long time, but there’s progress. And Renee has gone from being a beat cop, to being a detective, to being on the Major Crimes Unit. We’ve seen her struggles with herself, with her identity, with her sense of loss. With her partner, and that feeling of guilt. And one of the things that for me was very interesting was it’s one thing to be outside, adjacent to, or part of a system, but not really a decision maker, and gripe about how decisions are made. It’s a whole other thing to then be a titular person in a system and realize it’s not that easy. There are compromises. There are things you have to do.

You know, you watch shows like The Wire, which I loved, or American Crime, they are very much about systems. And you can be an idealist all you want, and we see it every campaign. But you get in there and you realize it’s not that easy to lead. That’s what I really loved about it. It was an opportunity for Renee Montoya. Just that ascension itself was just an honor to write. But fresh from The Other History, to be able to say, “Now, how do you put all this into practice? What do you do with all this? How do you actually manage?” And to see Renee have to make compromises. To see her even have to say to Adriana Chubb, “Look, I’ve got to make some tough choices right now. And the toughest choice: I need you to be a pawn, because it’s part of the endgame, and that’s me having more authority in running the police department if you’re not here.” And Chubb going, “Well, I don’t get this.” “Well, it’s not for you to get, this is the system, and the way it works.”

I love Renee. I was so honored to introduce her as commissioner. I love where she is in the overall DC Universe right now. And without giving away too much, there are more plans afoot for me with Renee. And I could not be more excited to have the opportunity to continue building on the legacy of so many people who’ve made her one of the most interesting characters at this point in the entire DC Universe.

I mean, to many, it’s surprising that she came back to the police at all, after all she’s been through.

Yeah, sometimes it takes somebody who’s got a little scarred flesh, and can endure, to do that. But I cannot think of a more perfect person to have step in. She’s the least amoral person in an immoral world. That’s why I loved her as the Question, you know? She questions her own identity. She questions the world. She’s very philosophical. She understands very deep things. Everybody loves Jim Gordon, but every once in a while, you’ve got to renew what’s going on. And Renee is a renewal, but it’s consistency as well.
    The only thing I've read of her was GOTHAM CENTRAL and THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE (my favorite comic book series ever), and the Greg Rucka LOIS LANE series, so that may factor into things. But this explanation Ridley gave worked for me.

So she's doing this because this is what she wants to do now.

Works for me.

It might not for you though? If not, well, it happens.

Maybe they'll go into it more in GCPD: THE BLUE WALL. That is a possibility. Because some people may want of an explanation. And really she's only just made brief appearances in any of the John Ridley Bat-books. And she was just doing her job in all of those appearances, they've never delved more into her than that; because the books weren't about her, they were about Jace.

Of course, that may be why they're doing GCPD: THE BLUE WALL with her as the lead character.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Lawrence View Post
    This explanation didn't work for you, from an interview done on DC's website... ?

But this explanation Ridley gave worked for me.

So she's doing this because this is what she wants to do now.
    I don't see any explanation there. The interviewer apparently didn't either, since they had to restate their question, which Ridley again didn't answer. If Renee is back to being a detective because that's just what she wants to do (which, c'mon, that's pretty flimsy), that still leaves the why of it up in the air. She ended Lois Lane as the Question, on some sort of mission in Chechnya. Then she shows up in Infinite Frontier #0 back on the force. Nothing in between. No explanation. What caused this shift?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Spectacular Member

I don't see any explanation there. The interviewer apparently didn't either, since they had to restate their question, which Ridley again didn't answer. If Renee is back to being a detective because that's just what she wants to do (which, c'mon, that's pretty flimsy), that still leaves the why of it up in the air. She ended Lois Lane as the Question, on some sort of mission in Chechnya. Then she shows up in Infinite Frontier #0 back on the force. Nothing in between. No explanation. What caused this shift?
    Well, she's the Commissioner now... or if that's what you meant to say.

But yeah, fair point if what he said doesn't work for you.

And again, I can only assume that GCPD: THE BLUE WALL will address any of this. Because this will be the first time that there's any sole focus on her since she's been the Commissioner.

And John Ridley loves writing books with lots of talking in them, and this is definitely going to be one of those kind of books, so I'm sure it has to come up. And it'll make for an interesting story if nothing else.

And yeah, I didn't read INFINITE FRONTIER #0. So whatever was going on with Renee in there is on the writer of that story, I only know what John Ridley has done with her. And all he's done up to this point is just show her doing her job.

And he said: "I love Renee. I was so honored to introduce her as commissioner. I love where she is in the overall DC Universe right now. And without giving away too much, there are more plans afoot for me with Renee."

So GCPD: THE BLUE WALL is obviously that plan. And he made her Commissioner (in THE NEXT BATMAN: SECOND SON #4), so now is his chance to explain why he did this, and why she's doing this... And if he doesn't in THE BLUE WALL, then, well...

Some of us don't bother with DC's website.
    I read (some) of the comic books, and would hope things are explained in the issues I read.

. . . So GCPD: THE BLUE WALL is obviously that plan. And he made her Commissioner (in THE NEXT BATMAN: SECOND SON #4), so now is his chance to explain why he did this, and why she's doing this... And if he doesn't in THE BLUE WALL, then, well...
    I haven't really read / followed Next Batman: Second Son / I Am Batman. What little I did read didn't impress me, and I still have no clue as to whether Bruce / Dick / Babs know who this other "Batman" is or whether they've confronted / discussed this situation with him. I mean, how often does Bruce let random people go around claiming to be "Batman" and do nothing about it?

Well, she's the Commissioner now... or if that's what you meant to say.

But yeah, fair point if what he said doesn't work for you.

And again, I can only assume that GCPD: THE BLUE WALL will address any of this. Because this will be the first time that there's any sole focus on her since she's been the Commissioner.

And John Ridley loves writing books with lots of talking in them, and this is definitely going to be one of those kind of books, so I'm sure it has to come up. And it'll make for an interesting story if nothing else.

And yeah, I didn't read INFINITE FRONTIER #0. So whatever was going on with Renee in there is on the writer of that story, I only know what John Ridley has done with her. And all he's done up to this point is just show her doing her job.

And he said: "I love Renee. I was so honored to introduce her as commissioner. I love where she is in the overall DC Universe right now. And without giving away too much, there are more plans afoot for me with Renee."

So GCPD: THE BLUE WALL is obviously that plan. And he made her Commissioner (in THE NEXT BATMAN: SECOND SON #4), so now is his chance to explain why he did this, and why she's doing this... And if he doesn't in THE BLUE WALL, then, well...
    Will she finally be revealed as a Batfamily double agent?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I recall reading something recentish where we saw enough of Renee (and thus her thoughts/statements) in private to disprove that idea. As in, she wasn't in mole mode, didn't have to put on a front. Maybe I'm misremembering. I hope so, because I've had this theory for a while, and it would be nice to see it come true.

I recall reading something recentish where we saw enough of Renee (and thus her thoughts/statements) in private to disprove that idea. As in, she wasn't in mole mode, didn't have to put on a front. Maybe I'm misremembering. I hope so, because I've had this theory for a while, and it would be nice to see it come true.
    I mean, it made no sense she'd support the whole "no masks" thing, which I'm also kind of tired of. I don't know how much longer Nakano has in office with his sheer incompetency and terrible luck.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Some of us don't bother with DC's website.
    I read (some) of the comic books, and would hope things are explained in the issues I read.
    Yeah, just as reference for anyone who wants to read it...

And yeah, of course things happen where they happen, so...

I haven't really read / followed Next Batman: Second Son / I Am Batman. What little I did read didn't impress me, and I still have no clue as to whether Bruce / Dick / Babs know who this other "Batman" is or whether they've confronted / discussed this situation with him. I mean, how often does Bruce let random people go around claiming to be "Batman" and do nothing about it?
    Yeah, like I say, John Ridley doesn't have her doing anything other than being Commissioner. And she only has a few brief appearances, it's not like she's part of any of his Bat-books or anything.

I AM BATMAN #11 is pretty much the most that she's been used to date, and even then it was like a page.

I guess issues #12 thru #14, the continuation and conclusion of the "She Got Next" arc, she will be heavily focused on, as Renee and as The Question (and she appears as The Question in final page of issue #11). And the "She Got Next" arc will no doubt lead into whatever they're doing in THE BLUE WALL.

I guess there's speculation that she's going to pass The Question mantle on to Detective Adriana Chubb, a Black female character that John Ridley created. Renee, as one of her first acts as Commissioner, promoted her and her partner to Detective in THE NEXT BATMAN: SECOND SON. So those two have a connection, and are a little antagonistic towards each other... it's in the comics, so I won't bore you with it.

Anyway, thinking about it, my guess is Renee will maybe stop being The Question for a bit, and then come back to it later. Or will probably still stay as The Question, and be it in Gotham City. And Adriana Chubb will just be The Question in New York City.

This is just a guess though, because some mantle of some sort is apparently going to be passed in I AM BATMAN #14, and Renee is still in New York in that issue.

And yeah, as for all of the Bat Family, yeah, Jace has never interacted with any of them to my knowledge. At least not in his book. So they may or may not know if he exists.

And yes, I don't believe he cares whether Bruce approves of him or not. It's one of those kind of situations.

Of course, even though I love Jace, I'm one those people too who are like, "Yeah, stop dressing like Batman. Do your own thing."

Anyway.

I never thought of that.

Lucius has probably already told Bruce though, so... you would think, at least.

. . . I guess issues #12 thru #14, the continuation and conclusion of the "She Got Next" arc, she will be heavily focused on, as Renee and as The Question (and she appears as The Question in final page of issue #11). And the "She Got Next" arc will no doubt lead into whatever they're doing in THE BLUE WALL.

I guess there's speculation that she's going to pass The Question mantle on to Detective Adriana Chubb, a Black female character that John Ridley created. Renee, as one of her first acts as Commissioner, promoted her and her partner to Detective in THE NEXT BATMAN: SECOND SON. So those two have a connection, and are a little antagonistic towards each other... it's in the comics, so I won't bore you with it.

Anyway, thinking about it, my guess is Renee will maybe stop being The Question for a bit, and then come back to it later. Or will probably still stay as The Question, and be it in Gotham City. And Adriana Chubb will just be The Question in New York City.

This is just a guess though, because some mantle of some sort is apparently going to be passed in I AM BATMAN #14, and Renee is still in New York in that issue...
    Huh? Why would Renee "pass the Question mantle" on to a new person if the ORIGINAL person who started it (Victor Sage) is alive and well again?!? Is it really Renee's right to just give it to somebody else, especially if the original is back using it?

. . . And yeah, as for all of the Bat Family, yeah, Jace has never interacted with any of them to my knowledge. At least not in his book. So they may or may not know if he exists.
    Really? This is something MAJOR happening in Gotham City (another Batman) that Bruce wouldn't be aware of? That Barbara Gordon as Oracle wouldn't get any hint of on the internet or on all the video cameras in Gotham City that she would somehow have access to?

. . . And yes, I don't believe he cares whether Bruce approves of him or not. It's one of those kind of situations.

Of course, even though I love Jace, I'm one those people too who are like, "Yeah, stop dressing like Batman. Do your own thing."
    I don't think it matters if Jace gives a damn or not. It's more of whether The Goddamn Batman would care about somebody else stealing HIS identity without Bruce's permission!

Huh? Why would Renee "pass the Question mantle" on to a new person if the ORIGINAL person who started it (Victor Sage) is alive and well again?!? Is it really Renee's right to just give it to somebody else, especially if the original is back using it?
    I don’t know that DC cares about the “why would Renee” and “is it Renee’s right.” It seems to me, and I could turn out to be completely wrong, they’re hinting at Renee passing the Question mantle. To who, I don’t know. Could be Chubb. The arc is called “She Got Next.” But the “she” could be Chubb, could be Tiffany. Could be both. Tiffany becomes a hero. Maybe Chubb becomes the Question or maybe something else happens to her. Maybe it also refers to Renee in some way. Maybe Renee gives the mantle back to Vic even though he’s already using it.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    I don’t know that DC cares about the “why would Renee” and “is it Renee’s right.” . . .
    These days, it sometimes seems like the only thing DC cares about is pumping out more Bat-related books and trying to rake in as much $$$$$'s as possible before everything collapses around their clueless heads.

I don’t know that DC cares about the “why would Renee” and “is it Renee’s right.” It seems to me, and I could turn out to be completely wrong, they’re hinting at Renee passing the Question mantle. To who, I don’t know. Could be Chubb. The arc is called “She Got Next.” But the “she” could be Chubb, could be Tiffany. Could be both. Tiffany becomes a hero. Maybe Chubb becomes the Question or maybe something else happens to her. Maybe it also refers to Renee in some way. Maybe Renee gives the mantle back to Vic even though he’s already using it.
    I dunno if we need a third Question.

I dunno if we need a third Question.
    I’m not opining on it one way or the other. It just seems like that’s what they’re doing.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

I’m not opining on it one way or the other. It just seems like that’s what they’re doing.
    Yeah, I just don't think...Jace particularly needs one of his characters to become the Question? Not quite sure what the point of it would be.