Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Enjoyed the first issue. Looking forward #2.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

What struck me first was just how well Ridley was able to avoid making the book seem like a piece of "copaganda" romanticizing the role of police in society and showcasing all officers as paragons of virtue while at the same time not coming across as absolutely slamming the police; Ridley truly delivers a diverse and nuanced perspective of police work that highlights the problems society has with modern policing as well as the important function it serves.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    What struck me first was just how well Ridley was able to avoid making the book seem like a piece of "copaganda" romanticizing the role of police in society and showcasing all officers as paragons of virtue while at the same time not coming across as absolutely slamming the police; Ridley truly delivers a diverse and nuanced perspective of police work that highlights the problems society has with modern policing as well as the important function it serves.
    Yeah, it definitely wasn’t one-sided. Take Wells as an example. His approach to his parolees is admirable. Trying to be encouraging while letting them know it’s on them ultimately. His partner, on the other hand, comes off as a jaded dick. But, sure enough, as we see, he wasn’t just being an asshole. For all we know, he might’ve been an idealist in the beginning too. But that idealism, if it existed, was tempered by reality.

Extraordinary Member

GCPD: The Blue Wall #2 Preview
    Writer: John Ridley
    Artist: Stefano Raffaele

Just name-dropping Two-Face to remind you this is Gotham .

Astonishing Member

Anyone read today issue? what you think

Other than Two-Face and Renee, it feels like it didn't even need to be set in Gotham at all.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Other than Two-Face and Renee, it feels like it didn't even need to be set in Gotham at all.
    Yeah I read, I felt really bad for Officer Wells in this issue and also I can relate with Hispanic Officer rookie who has to put up with casual racism joke that his coworkers meant as harmless fun. I can relate as my friends who make casual racist jokes all the time when we are by ourselves and not out in public, even though we are all Hispanic.

So is this building up to "fixed" Two-Face in Ram V's 'Tec run?

Extraordinary Member

GCPD: The Blue Wall #5 Preview
    Writer: John Ridley
    Artist: Stefano Raffaele

Poor Renee...

I don't like that Renee's brother was killed off but, based on the preview, the last two issues may have more of a Gotham Central-feel than the first four.

Extraordinary Member

Haven't read the latest issue yet but this series certainly took a turn that I wasn't expecting, to be honest though it's probably for the best that it isn't retreading all the same ground from Gotham Central.

Astonishing Member

Read the issue, yeah am I a terrible person if I can't help but felt some satisfaction that the 4 cops that were harrassing Ortega were murdered especially as they were talking shit about him, failing to take responsibility for their shitty behavior that made Ortega go crazy. the last words of one of the cops before getting shot out of nowhere was "if he can't handle that kind of fun, than maybe he should never had come to this coun(BAM)try. I admit, a mixture of current events involving corruption and brutality with conflicting views on movies and comics(even Batman books like this) gave me mixed feelings of the police.
    Last edited by Rzerox21xx; 02-21-2023 at 01:09 PM.