Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Batman/Spawn

I'm hyped .

Mighty Member

Yep todd and co made a new Mcfarlane comic Twitter for all spawn and Mcfarlane comics

Extraordinary Member

Extraordinary Member

Batman/Spawn #1 Preview
    Writer: Todd McFarlane
    Artist: Greg Capullo

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Batman/Spawn #1 Preview
    Writer: Todd McFarlane
    Artist: Greg Capullo

I'm probably more excited than I should be about this.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I didn't think you could compare Bruce and Al so much, but I stand mistaken.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Not reading a lot of positive reviews of McFarlane's writing of this..."ponderous," confusing plot (apparently overly connected to current Spawn continuity, which not everyone is steeped in), Batman's voice particularly off, unnecessary overnarration, etc.

(I wish Scott Snyder could have wrote this, with Todd merely contributing to the story)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-13-2022 at 12:55 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

From a Geek Dad review:
    "[T]his issue suffers from feeling much more like a Spawn issue guest-starring Batman than a DC comic the writing style is very distinctly McFarlane and can be a little ponderous, and Batman's dialogue sometimes feels distinctly off spoilers:
    being willing to sacrifice Spawn to the Court at one point
    end of spoilers, for instance."
    https://geekdad.com/2022/12/review-b...aunted-gotham/

From another (Batman-News):
    "McFarlane has never been a good writer. His strength lies in not only art but ideas. . . .McFarlane just doesn't have the writing chops to execute it. To a certain extent, I feel the same way about this story."
    https://batman-news.com/2022/12/13/b...pawn-1-review/
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    From a Geek Dad review:
    "[T]his issue suffers from feeling much more like a Spawn issue guest-starring Batman than a DC comic the writing style is very distinctly McFarlane and can be a little ponderous, and Batman's dialogue sometimes feels distinctly off spoilers:
    being willing to sacrifice Spawn to the Court at one point
    end of spoilers, for instance."
    https://geekdad.com/2022/12/review-b...aunted-gotham/

From another (Batman-News):
    "McFarlane has never been a good writer. His strength lies in not only art but ideas. . . .McFarlane just doesn't have the writing chops to execute it. To a certain extent, I feel the same way about this story."
    https://batman-news.com/2022/12/13/b...pawn-1-review/
    That was pretty much my feeling, I literally stopped reading about halfway in, it was more like a fever dream than an actual coherent story. Even the art couldn't make me want to flip through it to the end.

I don't remember the last time I picked up a comic and decided not to finish it.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Got to ask, and I'm not being combative or sarcastic I'm genuinely curious, what exactly would it be what you out of the third Batman/Spawn crossover aside from what we got in the issue?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Got to ask, and I'm not being combative or sarcastic I'm genuinely curious, what exactly would it be what you out of the third Batman/Spawn crossover aside from what we got in the issue?
    I never read the previous crossovers and only a little bit of early Spawn...and I just wanted a fun story. And from the half I read(does it get better in the end?)this was just a mess of a book with far too much of the plot conveyed through exposition heavy internal monologues which(especially at the start) are hard to discern whose thoughts they even are. On top of that the morose characterization of Batman just rubbed me the wrong way, not since the scene in Snyder's run where Bruce played with the bullets that killed his parents like they were baoding balls have I thought, "Man, this writer just doesn't get Bruce, he's just trying to be overly edgy."
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 12-14-2022 at 06:37 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

BANNED

I thought it was boring and at times a bit confusing. What did Spawn mean when he said Superman was murdered in his future?

This was easily one of the worst comics of the last 30, maybe 40, years.
    McFarlane has completely lost everything he knows about making good - or even acceptable comics. Embarrassing trash.

His worst offender - besides a completely incoherent, uninteresting story - is how he explains in the captions what is happening/drawn in the actual panel. Did he forget what medium he is working in?

If anyone thought this was bad, its even worse in the current Spawn comic universe. Its been middle school-high school level stuff for years now. Unreadable junk. No clue how the books have fans - I guess its all about the 'cool art'? Im stuck buying the monthly Spawn book because its one of the only comics Ive followed from issue #1 in grade school in early 90s till now. Its buy it and throw it in a box to keep the streak going.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    This was easily one of the worst comics of the last 30, maybe 40, years.
    McFarlane has completely lost everything he knows about making good - or even acceptable comics. Embarrassing trash.

His worst offender - besides a completely incoherent, uninteresting story - is how he explains in the captions what is happening/drawn in the actual panel. Did he forget what medium he is working in?

If anyone thought this was bad, its even worse in the current Spawn comic universe. Its been middle school-high school level stuff for years now. Unreadable junk. No clue how the books have fans - I guess its all about the 'cool art'? Im stuck buying the monthly Spawn book because its one of the only comics Ive followed from issue #1 in grade school in early 90s till now. Its buy it and throw it in a box to keep the streak going.
    Why buy books you don't enjoy reading?