Default Darkwing Duck Comics Coming From Dynamite Entertainment

Dynamite has announced the imminent return of Darkwing Duck to comics, with new series, graphic novels and reprints planned for Drake Mallard/Darkwing Duck. A new title starring the titular Disney superhero will be released at the beginning of 2023. In addition to all-new original tales, "his classic adventures will be reprinted as well in facsimile editions and graphic novels. The hard-to-find 1991 limited series released by Disney Comics with contributions by John Blair Moore and others will soon be accessible again to fans and collectors of classic Disney comics."
    https://www.cbr.com/disney-darkwing-...paign=CBR-FB-P

Doesn't Disney already use other publishers for their stuff?

I wonder how Dynamite came up this time.

Incredible Member

Terrific news. Any word on the new creative teams?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Doesn't Disney already use other publishers for their stuff?

I wonder how Dynamite came up this time.
    Both the BOOM! and IDW licenses have lapsed and neither company renewed, so I guess it's Dynamite's chance to try. The Dynamite Disney serie sI am most looking forward to was the new Gargoyles series they announced.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Both the BOOM! and IDW licenses have lapsed and neither company renewed . . .
    I wonder if Disney was asking for too much money and/or if BOOM! and IDW didn't feel like it was worth the bother to continue with the licensing?

I wonder if Disney was asking for too much money and/or if BOOM! and IDW didn't feel like it was worth the bother to continue with the licensing?
    Probably a combination. I am sure the license isn't cheap, and the sale sproably weren't enough to make it worth bothering.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I wonder how many variant covers Dynamite will release for this title?

Dynamite seems to love variant covers!

I wonder how many variant covers Dynamite will release for this title?

Dynamite seems to love variant covers!
    I'd put the over under at 15. And I'd lean towards taking the over.

-M

Astonishing Member

Why doesn't Disney just publish comics under Marvel? They do with Star Wars, the did with CrossGen so why not Disney?

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Why doesn't Disney just publish comics under Marvel? They do with Star Wars, the did with CrossGen so why not Disney?
    May be a question of how many total comic books can Marvel produce in a month, or could also be a question of whether Marvel wants to hire / deal with the additional talent (like writer, artist, etc.)

In the long run, Disney/Marvel may feel it's more cost-effective to just get the $'s for the licensing and let some other company do the actual work.

The US sales on Disney comics are not robust. Disney is probably prioritizing the guaranteed regular revenue of the licensing fees without any added production costs vs. the variable revenue based on sales minus production costs that comes with producing the books themselves. Those productions costs include paying creators, editors, production staff, printing and shipping. When all that's factored in, with the level of sales of the Disney books, it's probably a better deal for them to license them than produce them.

-M

Ultimate Member

Well Boom might not have been too happy with Disney since the ending of Darkwing Duck and Ducktales got censored.

The last arc was a crossover between the two and it got printed but Disney did not like it so the trade and Darkwing Omnibus created a new ending thus ignoring the 4 part crossover.

Those 4 issues are rather rare now. Lucked out on getting them myself.

Which featured Morgana coming back.

Since Disney did not approve the story-the IDW series had to ignore it and that is why Morgana was NOT in the series.

Sometimes it comes down to access.

IDW and Boom probably reach places Marvel and Disney doesn't. Along with formats that Marvel or DC doesn't use.

Example if you visit my city's library it's not uncommon to see hard cover versions of IDW floppies or library edition trades that you never see in a comic book store.

Along with some of these book being printed under different companies.

Example Marvel did the 1980s Get Along Gang comic that went 6 issues here. Yet went 100 in the UK.

Astonishing Member

Lots of people have answered your question but I still find that sort of weird. Here is what I think. Maybe I am wrong. So they have Star Wars and yes they publish under Marvel. But I think people know its not connected with Marvel stuff. I think Marvel wants the kids stuff separate. To not confuse people. I think its a little weird. Maybe they don't see it as something they can make money on. But some other company can? It is odd though.

Incredible Member

Is there a talkback thread for the first issue?

Mighty Member

Negaduck will receive his own comic book series. The first issue will come out on September 13th.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022