Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Superman In Animation General Discussion/Spoilers

Two of the four DC animated movies announced for 2023 are set to feature Superman seemingly. Both are apparently set in the Tomorrowverse, but no details beyond that just yet. Man if Warworld is adapting PKJ’s Warworld Saga fingers crossed it does a good job because I would love to see that animated!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Re-posted from the main forum. If they are adapting PKJ's Warworld arc, I guess the JL will take the place of Clark's Authority team?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Interesting.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    Re-posted from the main forum. If they are adapting PKJ's Warworld arc, I guess the JL will take the place of Clark's Authority team?
    Most likely, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Most likely, yeah.
    That's a shame. I wanted this to be centered on Clark. To be his story. Also hoped when this would be adapted it would be in installments and not a single movie. We'll lose too many moments.

Incredible Member

Well, apparently that's another time DC takes something from Superman and gives it to the JL. At least it basically has to focus mostly on Clark, right?

If it is an adaptation of the PKJ storyline (and it very well could be an adaptation of another storyline with Clark on Warworld, or just borrowing tha name and iconography for something different), that would be a good sign as far as DC's trust in PKJ as a Superman writer goes, as well as his potential continued presence. Gotta say, it'd be weird for a still ongoing Superman storyline to already have a lined-up adaptation, not even Rebirth got one greenlighted and Rebirth was, by every metric, more popular than PKJ's Action Comivs, but I'm not going to try to guess what's going through the heads at WB.

Legion sounds interesting, admittedly, but I wonder how much influence it might have from Bendis (both his run and the concurrent tv show he's presumably still working on).

In the end, good to see two projects (4, actually, with League of Super-pets and Super-Sons) where characters from the Super-verse play a big role, though none of them is a true solo yet.

Cool announcements. Did they say what the Legion story is taking inspiration from? From what folks here are saying we don't know which era/version it'll be, but did they at least hint at a storyline? I'd love to see the Great Darkness Saga put to film.

Adding the League to Warworld....the cynic in me thinks that this means Clark will automatically be pushed into the background, replacing Apollo as the guy who misses most of the story because he's hooked up to a torture machine, and Batman will get all the glory. But the part of me that recognizes the extra effort the current regime has put into Clark wants to believe that this will be a legitimate adaptation with Clark front-and-center and the League just replacing the Authority without supplanting the main character.

But we'll see. In any case, it's good that so much of Clark's world and mythos is getting adaptations. Now if only we could see some of this in live action film and video games......

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Gotta say, it'd be weird for a still ongoing Superman storyline to already have a lined-up adaptation, not even Rebirth got one greenlighted and Rebirth was, by every metric, more popular than PKJ's Action Comivs, but I'm not going to try to guess what's going through the heads at WB.
    Comic sales probably don't factor into this very much. With sales limited in "thousands" who cares if one run squeaks out a few extra or a few less, yknow? With lesser known, unproven IP and characters, maybe it serves as more of a litmus test for larger media success, but for the big names who're known all around the world? If I were WB I wouldn't put much emphasis on comic sales either, unless a story/run/arc really blew the averages out of the water.

WB likely thinks that the hardcore, comic-reading audience will show up regardless. And historically speaking they're not wrong. What matters to them is whether a story can appeal to wider demographics. Tomasi's Rebirth was just Superdad, and what I hear of the CW show seems to be cut from the same cloth, so it's not surprising that they'd go in a different direction for this; mix it up, keep it new and interesting, all that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Justice League: Warworld = let's take a Superman story, we give it to the JL, we turn Superman into a pure muscle idiot who still only receives beatings, Batman total protagonist, if he fails it's Superman's fault if he succeeds it's because of Batman .

Astonishing Member

Warworld Saga is, in fact, potentially very strong adaptation material. For a movie, and for an animation project, and even for a game. For example, I think that with a good director, this could be just about the best Superman movie, with Cavill or anyone else.

I don't think they're going to directly adapt PKJ's run because this probably would have been in production too early for that to have been feasible unless they took inspiration from the Future State story.

It's not even the first time they've treated Mongul and Warworld as a League-level threat. They did the same thing in Young Justice. I do hope Superman is front and center of the story though.

I'm curious how this Legion movie will interpret the team given it'll likely do its own thing since Bendis is basically adapting his own Legion for the HBOMax xhow.

No story details about Legion or Warworld just yet, only that they’re both set in the Tomorrowverse. They’ve been pretty respectful towards Superman in the Tomorrowverse thus far so I choose to be hopeful in regards to how they’ll use him here. For one I think Legion will use Clark instead of Jon, Kara, or Kon as the main Super the way people have wanted (assuming a Super is involved which is probably a safe bet on account of the S-shield). For another while I’m paranoid I can’t see Superman not taking center stage in a Warworld storyline during his 85th anniversary. Batman would more likely replace Midnighter the way many have speculated the JL will replace the Authority. Long as Clark is still taking point I’m ok with that, even if the dream is an HBO Max animated adaption or a movie.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

When we can expect story details?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    When we can expect story details?
    It looks like the order of release will be: JL/RWYB, Batman: The Doom That Came To Gotham, Legion of Superheroes, and finally JL: Warworld. Probably won’t get details on Legion and Warworld until the back half of 2023 sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It looks like the order of release will be: JL/RWYB, Batman: The Doom That Came To Gotham, Legion of Superheroes, and finally JL: Warworld. Probably won’t get details on Legion and Warworld until the back half of 2023 sadly.
    Oh, the wait...

Well, the story isn't even over yet so we probably shouldn't be surprised by the wait, but it does really suck. I'm sure the film makers already know how the story will wrap up but it'd be bad form to talk story details when the story isn't actually finished yet.

I'm hoping that this is a pretty loyal adaptation, though so far it seems like this Tomorrowverse is very comfortable making changes to their source material and doing their own thing. Still, if this film can capture the scope and vibe of the Warworld saga I'm not gonna sweat the details at all. I just worry about the Bat; usually if he's involved at all, he takes over completely.

Been a while since I watched the last Tomorrowverse film with Flash and the JSA. Did they mention the League there? Or in that upcoming Lantern thing? Maybe this will be how the League forms, and I can't say I'd be upset over a Super story and villain being the trigger that creates the T-verse's Justice League.

Still bummed that Morrison's opening Action arc isn't being adapted. Why they're ignoring that is beyond me, it'd be the perfect film (animated or live action).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.