Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

This is probably setting up Phase 6.
    Last edited by Vishop; 07-23-2022 at 10:09 PM.

Hickman is coming back to kill the game once again, kneel before the charts!
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    The Beyonder probably.
    Hm... Depending on what Ewing's Defenders: Beyond does with him, yeah, he could be available.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Hickman is absolutely one of the best comic writers of all time -
    but the question with his work is always:
    Will he actually finish the story?

He has so many unfinished, halfbaked works out there - its becoming a pattern.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post

He has a clear vision and world builds well, but other writers don't know his vision well enough to make it coincide and editorial doesn't give other writers the liberty they give him, so it runs the risk of becoming a hodge podge. Secret Wars was wrapped well.

Niffleheim

He can't be blamed about the x-story being unfinished when the x-office didn't want it finish.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Hickman is coming back to kill the game once again, kneel before the charts!
    LOL!

We are not worthy!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I don't think this is entirely fair. I'm pretty sure there are several series that got left hanging because of the artist.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I don't think this is entirely fair. I'm pretty sure there are several series that got left hanging because of the artist.
    Im not so sure.
    Look - Hickman is in my personal top 3 comic writers of all time following Morrison and Ellis - but the guy has a problem finishing stories.
    Lets look at just the books ive followed:

Shield - issues #1-10 came out by 2011. It took 7 years to "finish" with issues 11-12 in 2018. It seemed to wrap up incredibly quickly and disappointingly from what was originally planned.

Manhattan Projects -seemingly abandoned with no clear ending.

Black Monday Murders - stuck on vol 2 in limbo since 2016. supposedly vol 3 might come out one of these days.

Xmen -say what you will about editorial and other writers on the line, but everyone knows he had far more planned than what was actually released.

Frontier -in 2016 this was hyped and advertised in many other comics and articles of the time. It was even solicited up to issue 4. It got cancelled and never popped back up.

Decorum - this was supposed to be much longer than the 8 issues that released.

Theres a pattern there - and its not a good one.
    On the flipside - I consider Hickman's FF4, Avengers/Secret Wars, East of West to be masterclass of the medium. All complete (incredible) stories. So the guy is definitely capable.
    Last edited by Destro777; 07-24-2022 at 12:05 PM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    They all died, and Doom got their powers or something and that's how he started that Secret Wars.
    You know that in comics no one and nothing stays dead ....excpet Captain Mar-vell.

This was Marvel's best announcement at SDCC.

BANNED

Guardians of the Galaxy, it’s ripe for a big team and Ewing did a great job setting them up as avengers in space.

Final film of the original team next year but rumours of a new team later down the line, means the brand will be around for a while yet.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Im not so sure.
    Look - Hickman is in my personal top 3 comic writers of all time following Morrison and Ellis - but the guy has a problem finishing stories.

Shield - issues #1-10 came out by 2011. It took 7 years to "finish" with issues 11-12 in 2018. It seemed to wrap up incredibly quickly and disappointingly from what was originally planned.

Black Monday Murders - stuck on vol 2 in limbo since 2016. supposedly vol 3 might come out one of these days.

Xmen -say what you will about editorial and other writers on the line, but everyone knows he had far more planned than what was actually released.

Frontier -in 2016 this was hyped and advertised in many other comics and articles of the time. It was even solicited up to issue 4. It got cancelled and never popped back up.

On the flipside - I consider Hickman's FF4, Avengers/Secret Wars, East of West to be masterclass of the medium. All complete (incredible) stories. So the guy is definitely capable.
    this hurts my heart because it's true.

Hickman is my number two favorite writer (number one being Morrison), but unless he gets full control similar to his Fantastic Four run his work always gets derailed usually by others or editorial

Incredible Member

Im not so sure.

Did Secret and the Dying and the Dead ever finish their first arcs?

Niffleheim

As far as I know Hickman doesn't have any unfinished Marvel project so I can't say it is applicable.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough