Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    ...But he's still using the Goblin codename...
    I think the solicit said he gets called that by the public and it disturbs him.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    As a Power Rangers fan since childhood . . . salutations!

That would be a good idea, poetic justice, in a way of speaking. And yeah, that probably is the point. Hell, Mark Millar's Marvel Knights Spider-Man had Spidey call out Norman for wasting his own abilities on petty supervillainy, and Norman's response then? To basically say that the difference between him and Peter was that "I don't give a rat's @$$." Seeing what could've been if he did, though . . . that would indeed hurt Peter more.

Understandable.

Loving the Power Rangers references, though Dino Thunder Goblin would be the Black Goblin, which --- funny enough --- was an alter ego assumed by Harry Osborn in issue 2 of Spider-Man: Life Story.
    im been on a recent super sentai binge there references are timely
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Did anyone want this? I mean, Cantwell has a good pedigree but this is just another stopgap to him being the Goblin again.
    pretty much this.

something deeply traumatic is going to happen again... he's going to flip, start killing folks again, and some writer will make Peter openly feel guilty, e.g., "it's my own fault"...

worse, 50% of fandom will now openly pine for Norman to be permanently a good guy and say he should never be prosecuted for his past crimes, because, well, comics.. maybe another writer comes along and makes Norman the crux of some cosmic crossover..

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Could th3 endgame be yet another spider man vs green goblin fight?
    This is the problem I'm having with this spider man run: they're really doubling down with the goblins, and the mob- lins, neither one of which interests me.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    pretty much this.

something deeply traumatic is going to happen again... he's going to flip, start killing folks again, and some writer will make Peter openly feel guilty, e.g., "it's my own fault"...

worse, 50% of fandom will now openly pine for Norman to be permanently a good guy and say he should never be prosecuted for his past crimes, because, well, comics.. maybe another writer comes along and makes Norman the crux of some cosmic crossover..
    Kinda like when Norman became an Avengers villain?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    he only had amnesia
    To say that with certainty, fans must disregard aspects of the canon. Norman has psychogenic amnesia. It's difficult to say with covert disorders such as Dissociative identity disorder. Fans who buy the DID reading have been given material to work with. I read that although he has psychogenic amnesia and hallucinations, Norman doesn't have DID.
    Evil Ben.
    Harry as well. Felicia before Spencer's intervention. I'd almost think Marvel hates that Pete has friends.
    never be prosecuted for his past crimes
    Based Mayor Fisk. /j
    Last edited by Lunala; 07-24-2022 at 06:00 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

pretty much this.

Considering the Mutant X comics did introduce the Phoenix Force's "dark shadow" and called it the Goblin Force . . . I could see Norman making contact with it somehow if they wanted to make him a more cosmic bad guy.

Kinda like when Norman became an Avengers villain?
    Dark Reign? Yeah. Wasted opportunity that Spider-Man wasn't leading the heroes' charge against him and his Dark Avengers.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spectacular Member

Goblin Force
    DELETE THIS POST BEFORE YOU GIVE MARVEL IDEAS. /j /lh

Wasted opportunity that Spider-Man wasn't leading the heroes' charge against him and his Dark Avengers.
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    DELETE THIS POST BEFORE YOU GIVE MARVEL IDEAS. /j /lh

100%
    I don't think Marvel can actually use fan-solicited ideas, or at least that's what I hear from professionals who've worked for (or with) Marvel.

Astonishing Member

Osborn pretended to be a superhero during Dark Reign/Secret Invasion when he killed the Skrull Queen, right? Don’t trust this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Osborn pretended to be a superhero during Dark Reign/Secret Invasion when he killed the Skrull Queen, right? Don’t trust this guy.
    Exactly, but the difference between this and that is that back in Dark Reign, Norman was still "himself" and therefore a completely unrepentant POS. Thanks to Sin-Eater in Nick Spencer's run, he's "cleansed" and therefore repentant --- though still a POS, which is something he realizes now and will be struggling with in this series.

Considering the Mutant X comics did introduce the Phoenix Force's "dark shadow" and called it the Goblin Force . . . I could see Norman making contact with it somehow if they wanted to make him a more cosmic bad guy.

Dark Reign? Yeah. Wasted opportunity that Spider-Man wasn't leading the heroes' charge against him and his Dark Avengers.
    will that day ever come for Peter Parker Spider-man?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Kanos View Post
    Norman is now like Tommy Oliver.
    I didn't know about this guy, but after a quick search, I see what you mean lol.

No white or Dino thunder goblin yet
    Haha... You only wish you were right:

Could th3 endgame be yet another spider man vs green goblin fight?
    It likely is, but that's a pretty goofy way to go about it... At some point Kafka's sins would be pushed back into Norman, and if Marvel liked Kafka as Queen Goblin enough, they'll excuse that some of the sins remained on her, or that she liked being evil or whatever.

pretty much this.

I seriously doubt that many people will want Norman to be a good guy, hell, whenever he's not Green Goblin I see more people reacting with annoyance than anything lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    To say that with certainty, fans must disregard aspects of the canon. Norman has psychogenic amnesia. It's difficult to say with covert disorders such as Dissociative identity disorder. Fans who buy the DID reading have been given material to work with. I read that although he has psychogenic amnesia and hallucinations, Norman doesn't have DID.
    I mean, the way he was treated had his personality as "He's evil but forgot he's Green Goblin", so GG was never another personality in any way, it's only later that they decided to say that Goblin Serum changed his personality to be crazier, but even after that was gone he was still shown to be evil.

Harry as well. Felicia before Spencer's intervention. I'd almost think Marvel hates that Pete has friends.
    Felicia stopped being evil before Spencer came along, she even got two unrelated redemptions, one in Venom Inc, and another in Bendis' Defenders lol.

Spencer is still the guy who re-established her pre-OMD characterization though, but he wasn't the one who changed her back.

That sounds like more "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" gimmick, and just this "Gold Goblin" looks gimmicky enough, Cosmic Norman? Come on...

I don't think Marvel can actually use fan-solicited ideas, or at least that's what I hear from professionals who've worked for (or with) Marvel.
    It's not like this was officially sent to 'em, writers can have ideas that are similar to what fans come up with.

Hell, an example is a fanfiction posted here years ago, I think Celgress was the one who wrote it, and it had Norman being Mephisto's lil' bitch, I'm pretty sure that was before Spencer's run even started... Although I think that fanfiction had that being the case because Mephisto resurrected him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    will that day ever come for Peter Parker Spider-man?
    Not with this editorial lol.

There's also a theory that Marvel won't let Spidey be too big in crossover events because if that was done, it could be argued that it's a Spider-Man event, and characters created for it could fall into Spider-Man rights, giving Sony more stuff, and if this theory is right (It might not be, and I won't pretend that I know how all of this rights nonsense works), then that's another reason for Spidey to not do much in general in events.

Although if this theory is wrong, well, not like it changes anything, even before the movie rights were an actual problem, Spidey's role in such events were generally glorified cameos, AvX is where he did the most even, when he made Magik and Colossus knock each other out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

I didn't know about this guy, but after a quick search, I see what you mean lol.

Haha... You only wish you were right:

It likely is, but that's a pretty goofy way to go about it... At some point Kafka's sins would be pushed back into Norman, and if Marvel liked Kafka as Queen Goblin enough, they'll excuse that some of the sins remained on her, or that she liked being evil or whatever.

I seriously doubt that many people will want Norman to be a good guy, hell, whenever he's not Green Goblin I see more people reacting with annoyance than anything lol.

I mean, the way he was treated had his personality as "He's evil but forgot he's Green Goblin", so GG was never another personality in any way, it's only later that they decided to say that Goblin Serum changed his personality to be crazier, but even after that was gone he was still shown to be evil.

Felicia stopped being evil before Spencer came along, she even got two unrelated redemptions, one in Venom Inc, and another in Bendis' Defenders lol.

Spencer is still the guy who re-established her pre-OMD characterization though, but he wasn't the one who changed her back.

That sounds like more "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" gimmick, and just this "Gold Goblin" looks gimmicky enough, Cosmic Norman? Come on...

It's not like this was officially sent to 'em, writers can have ideas that are similar to what fans come up with.

Hell, an example is a fanfiction posted here years ago, I think Celgress was the one who wrote it, and it had Norman being Mephisto's lil' bitch, I'm pretty sure that was before Spencer's run even started... Although I think that fanfiction had that being the case because Mephisto resurrected him.

Not with this editorial lol.

There's also a theory that Marvel won't let Spidey be too big in crossover events because if that was done, it could be argued that it's a Spider-Man event, and characters created for it could fall into Spider-Man rights, giving Sony more stuff, and if this theory is right (It might not be, and I won't pretend that I know how all of this rights nonsense works), then that's another reason for Spidey to not do much in general in events.

Although if this theory is wrong, well, not like it changes anything, even before the movie rights were an actual problem, Spidey's role in such events were generally glorified cameos, AvX is where he did the most even, when he made Magik and Colossus knock each other out.
    Say what you will about the rest of AvX, but that was a high point for Spider-Man as a character, in my view. He held the line and held fast against impossible odds, which is quintessential Spider-Man.

Problem is how this goes against 616 Norman himself, who was never a good person even before he got the goblin serum (Nor did he have that split personality, at best he only had amnesia that made him forget he was Green Goblin).
    Honestly, given how well and warmly received Dafoe's Goblin is, I suspect that's the portrayal they want to lean on. The idea that Norman Was Always Bad largely strips his character of any real versatility, and also leaves a wound in the Spider-mythos. It's understandable that they leaned into that, but I always kind of felt it was a mistake. That doesn't mean a 'back to amnesia stricken Norman', but we ought to be able to see glimpses of who he could have been had he not damned himself. It's also why I am not at all a fan of the Spencer retcon with Mephisto.

Let non-Goblin Norman be a rich, emotionally complex character whose fall into Goblindom has some gravitas, whose worse impulses and desires are brought to malevolent life by the Goblin serum's interaction with his mind and his own psychological issues, and give us a reason not to end him that also rewards Peter Parker's morality.