Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Hmm...I have a lot of feelings here.

On the one hand, it just feels very off to have a sequel to a movie not really feel like a proper sequel...obviously IRL events and creative decisions kind of made that impossible because they're literally taking out the main character of the entire franchise, but it pivots the movie to reacting to and addressing something that happened in real life and is still very emotionally raw for a lot of people (and centering or focusing on the death of a real person) rather than feeling like an actual Black Panther sequel...at least until the end when we get an actual Black Panther showing up.

Speaking of which, the suit looks fine (more gold than T'Challa's silver), but I think it might be difficult to push MCU Shuri as a Black Panther and a legitimate successor to T'Challa. She just doesn't carry the same vibe or strength that T'Challa carried in the suit, especially because this take on her wasn't designed that way to begin with and she's nothing like comic Shuri was when she became Black Panther.

Namor...I'm not sure how I feel about them grafting Namor into an actual real life culture. It feels like it takes away from his Namor-ness with everything that is being thrown on him to justify him being an Aztec version of Namor, but it makes him look more busy and complicated than the regal and pristine Namor from the comics. The actor looks great and has a strong physical presence at least, although it's not the Namor voice I always had in my head.

M'Baku is still the token black male main character in this movie. I wonder if there were ever plans to bring in Vibraxas or Taku at some point or if the plans to expand the cast were thrown off by Chadwick's death and needing to throw in Riri Williams, making the cast predominantly women focused because all the other male characters either died or were jailed.

It continues to feel weird for me how much focus and attention Riri Williams is getting in a Black Panther movie when she's ostensibly an Iron Man character. She's even getting a full-blown armor. Like, isn't that stuff you save for her show?

Incredible Member

Looks awesome! I'm in.

BP2 has crashed the ticket sites!

"Show them who we are." Love it.

Namor makes me laugh though, I have to admit. Those little wings, lol.

Still ... sold on this and am going to see it.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It continues to feel weird for me how much focus and attention Riri Williams is getting in a Black Panther movie when she's ostensibly an Iron Man character. She's even getting a full-blown armor. Like, isn't that stuff you save for her show?
    It’s the first version of her armor. In her show she will most likely streamline and upgrade it.

Trailer is ok. Liked Namor. Don't really care who BP is since the BP is the mantle, not the person, though I am partial to T'Challa.

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    It’s the first version of her armor. In her show she will most likely streamline and upgrade it.
    I think it was leaked that she gets another armor that's closer to her main comic one.
    Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Trailer is ok. Liked Namor. Don't really care who BP is since the BP is the mantle, not the person, though I am partial to T'Challa.
    I think that oversells it.

Has Shuri been Black Panther? Yeah, and historically it's treated as a mantle, but 98% of the time the most relevant and important Black Panther is T'Challa and who legitimately defines and embodies the identity the best.

I think it was leaked that she gets another armor that's closer to her main comic one.

I think that oversells it.

Has Shuri been Black Panther? Yeah, and historically it's treated as a mantle, but 98% of the time the most relevant and important Black Panther is T'Challa and who legitimately defines and embodies the identity the best.
    Yes, but I am not going to get all offended if someone else is BP. Would a recast have been nice, sure, but I can understand why they didn't.
    Do I like Falcon/Sam as Captain America? Not really but that's because a lot of what Cap does is based on his Super Soldier Serum and I don't think Sam can do that, but I DO think he embodies the same ideals that CA portrays, even if he can't do it psychically. With BP, it's the same but different. The physicality is there due to the spirit, Though I do question why the spirit would work with someone of lesser moral values than what the BP spirit is supposed to be...Though I guess protectors all have different "values".
    But I will admit my knowledge of the BP spirit and T'Challa is not that extensive.

Finally! An MCU *movie* I find myself excited for this year and one that actually looks good.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    BP2 has crashed the ticket sites!
    Does not matter....

It's weeks 2-the premiere of Avatar 2 that matters. What is the rewatchablilty of this movie that will be the question.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Does not matter....

It's weeks 2-the premiere of Avatar 2 that matters. What is the rewatchablilty of this movie that will be the question.
    I think it matters to Disney/Marvel. It also matters in the sense that if it didn’t happen people would come out of the woodwork to predict the DOOM! of the MCU. It’s not the only thing that matters but it does matter.

The MCU could probably use a more decisive critical win at this point (especially if it helps the box office).

Hmm...I have a lot of feelings here.

On the one hand, it just feels very off to have a sequel to a movie not really feel like a proper sequel...obviously IRL events and creative decisions kind of made that impossible because they're literally taking out the main character of the entire franchise, but it pivots the movie to reacting to and addressing something that happened in real life and is still very emotionally raw for a lot of people (and centering or focusing on the death of a real person) rather than feeling like an actual Black Panther sequel...at least until the end when we get an actual Black Panther showing up.

Speaking of which, the suit looks fine (more gold than T'Challa's silver), but I think it might be difficult to push MCU Shuri as a Black Panther and a legitimate successor to T'Challa. She just doesn't carry the same vibe or strength that T'Challa carried in the suit, especially because this take on her wasn't designed that way to begin with and she's nothing like comic Shuri was when she became Black Panther.

Namor...I'm not sure how I feel about them grafting Namor into an actual real life culture. It feels like it takes away from his Namor-ness with everything that is being thrown on him to justify him being an Aztec version of Namor, but it makes him look more busy and complicated than the regal and pristine Namor from the comics. The actor looks great and has a strong physical presence at least, although it's not the Namor voice I always had in my head.

M'Baku is still the token black male main character in this movie. I wonder if there were ever plans to bring in Vibraxas or Taku at some point or if the plans to expand the cast were thrown off by Chadwick's death and needing to throw in Riri Williams, making the cast predominantly women focused because all the other male characters either died or were jailed.

One guy's take...

Since The Bermuda Triangle is right there?

It does feel like there is a pretty sensible version of things where an "Undersea..." race would be from right around there.

Is MCU's new BP confirmed to be Shuri? Because his spy lover or body guard would make excellent BPs IMHO.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Is MCU's new BP confirmed to be Shuri? Because his spy lover or body guard would make excellent BPs IMHO.
    Seems pretty certain, but they probably will keep teasing it could be someone else