Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't mind a heavy weight character like Namor being unconnected to their own franchise. Though I know Namor fans would disagree, lol

I'm not sure I understand ... if you're saying tha tNamor should have his own franchise, I think most Namor fans would agree.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Seems like it will get a release in China. https://out.reddit.com/t3_10e9lma?ur...&app_name=mweb

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Seems like it will get a release in China. https://out.reddit.com/t3_10e9lma?ur...&app_name=mweb
    Wonder how effected the China release will be with this late release date. They will literally have premiered it on Disney+ Feb 1. They will have amazing bootleg copies soon everywhere at this point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Wonder how effected the China release will be with this late release date. They will literally have premiered it on Disney+ Feb 1. They will have amazing bootleg copies soon everywhere at this point.
    I read something and its not always easy to understand what exactly is happening in China, but I read something about the lack of western films in Chinese theaters is killing their theater business.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Just saw the news at Deadline! Good news for the box office of Wakanda Forever. It may yet make a billion.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I don't think they have Disney + in China. Bootlegs, OTOH... But I think there's still an audience for theater showings, especially post Covid shut down.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

The other nominees:

SUPPORTING ACTRESS

ANGELA BASSETT Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

HONG CHAU The Whale

KERRY CONDON The Banshees of Inisherin

DOLLY DE LEON Triangle of Sadness

JAMIE LEE CURTIS Everything Everywhere All At Once

CAREY MULLIGAN She Said

An Oscar Nominations seems more and more possible!

Sadly, BAFTA snubbed Wakanda Forever for everything else, including Score, Costume, and Production Design! I'm going to have to watch the Babylon movie, cause it got nominated again.

Extraordinary Member

Here is some talk about china,disney and marvel from the direct.
    Disney Announces Marvel Movie BAN In China Officially Lifted
    For the first time since 2019, a Marvel Studios production will finally be released in Chinese theaters with Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania.

Ever since it was revealed that Black Widow wouldn’t see a theatrical debut in the country, it snowballed from there, with every Marvel film since then not appearing in Chinese cinemas.

It was either due to China restricting all international releases to prioritize its own domestic film industry or comments made by the franchise's stars or directors, like Chloé Zhao.

So, many fans assumed the worst and that no Marvel film would ever play in China again. However, in a surprising bit of news, both sequels for Black Panther and Ant-Man and The Wasp will run in Chinese theaters this February.

Marvel Studios Returns to China

According to a Weibo account run by Marvel Studios, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania will be released in Chinese theaters on February 7 and 17, respectively, marking the end of the Marvel movie ban in the country.

Why the Change of Heart?

The most obvious assumption at the change of heart from China could be the return of former Disney CEO Bob Iger, who historically had good relations with China. It's possible that Bob Chapek had somehow soured them so much that just seeing him replaced was enough.

Only a month out from potential release in China, it’s hard to believe that this would be another preemptive blunder from Disney. For instance, marketing for Black Widow in China had alluded to a release that never came.

Hopefully, Chinese fans will finally see a Marvel film in theaters again after over a three-year hiatus.

It’ll also be good for Disney’s box office, as the ban in the box office giant of a nation has prevented films like Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness from cracking a billion.

Again, Chinese fans will (hopefully) be able to see Black Panther: Wakanda Forever on February 7 in theaters, followed by Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania on February 17.

https://thedirect.com/article/disney...fficial-lifted

I'm going to be very interested in seeing the box office from China on Wakanda Forever. Many factors that will contribute to that figure I'm sure.

Tomorrow the Oscar nominations will be released! Keeping my fingers crossed for Angela Bassett.

Until then ....8 Nominations from the Latino Entertainment Journalists Association.

Supporting Actress -Angela Bassett
    Supporting Actor -Tenoch Huerta
    Costume -Ruth E. Carter
    Production Design -Hannah Beachler
    Hair & Makeup -Joel Harlow
    Visual Affects -Geoffrey Baumann, Craig Hammack, Hanzhi Tang (vfx supervisors), Dan Sudick (sfx supervisor)
    Stunt Design
    Song -Rhianna

https://latinojournalists.com/2023/0...s-nominations/

Astonishing Member

‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’ Star Angela Bassett Makes Oscar History, but Film Misses Best Picture Nomination

“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” star Angela Bassett made superhero cinema history on Tuesday as the first woman, the first person of color and the first Marvel Studios actor to be nominated for an Academy Award for their performance in a comic book adaptation. It’s Bassett’s second Oscar nomination; her first came 29 years ago for best actress for 1993’s Tina Turner biopic “What’s Love Got to Do With It?”

But while Bassett’s nomination breaks several Oscar barriers, “Wakanda Forever” failed to equal the best picture nod earned by 2018’s “Black Panther” — the first superhero movie ever nominated for Oscar’s top prize. The film was also nominated for Ruth E. Carter for costume design; “Lift Me Up” for original song (by Tems, Ludwig Göransson, Rihanna and Ryan Coogler); Camille Friend and Joel Harlow for makeup and hairstyling; and Geoffrey Baumann, Craig Hammack, Hanzhi Tang and Dan Sudick for visual effects.

Awesome news and a well deserved nomination for Angela Bassett!

While I can understand why the Academy would not pick Wakanda Forever for certain awards, like Best Picture, I don't understand how it gets overlooked compared to other nominations in the various categories. But I guess that's what everyone says about movies they love.

I watched it on Disney+ yesterday and I'm glad I waited. It wasn't a bad movie but quite underwhelming.

The tribute to Chadwick Boseman at the beginning moved me to tears, but nothing else had the same or a similar impact in the movie or was handled with such care, which caused a certain disconnect for me. And while the grief gets mentioned a few times, it wasn't strong enough to feel as if it is guiding me through the movie.

I'm not a recast T'Challa hardliner, but his absence was felt in a way that isn't simply part of the emotional journey the movie wants to take. With all the flashbacks, I wish they'd at least included a scene with young T'Challa and young Shuri in which they are portrayed by different actors.

It was clear they'd set up Shuri as Black Panther and I felt they kind of wanted to pull in more comic Shuri characterizations, but it didn't really work. That she says she wants to see the world burn after we only see T'Challa's death affect her, makes zero sense to me. She isn't dealing with the Vibranium stealing like Ramonda and T'Challa's mystery disease isn't mentioned to come from the outside world. Her body type sadly makes her look like a teen dressed up in the BP suit, which really takes away from its presence, and the regalness is also missing.

I watched the first trailer, which gave me goosebumps, but from that one, I expected a grander spectacle between the Wakandans and the Talokanil. It doesn't help that the only reason the Wakandans don't immediately lose is Stark-esque technology. It was nice to see Riri and Shuri get a moment together but especially in the first half Riri was more annoying than anything else.

Nakia's role was so predictable the second Shuri wouldn't accept her calls. Imo, T'Challa Jr. is the least exciting way to reintroduce T'Challa they could have taken.

The music was great as always as was the costume design.

I think they got the way Namor flies perfectly. The stuttered leaping from side to side was just how I imagined he would fly from the comics. Was great to see.

Just watched on Disney+, I agree with Avi post #552. Underwhelming a even boring at times. Sometimes it was illogical. And you could really feel the absence of Boseman. Letitia was good in the first movie as a strong supporting performer, but she doesn't have the gravitas to carry a whole movie the way Boseman could. Maybe it has to do with trying to turn an actress and character who were never mean to carry a movie into the lead. That might sound unfair, but these movies need a very strong lead, and almost all of them do.. It would be hard to replace Boseman, so I get it, but at the same time the lack of such an actor weakened the film.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Just watched on Disney+, I agree with Avi post #552. Underwhelming a even boring at times. Sometimes it was illogical. And you could really feel the absence of Boseman. Letitia was good in the first movie as a strong supporting performer, but she doesn't have the gravitas to carry a whole movie the way Boseman could. Maybe it has to do with trying to turn an actress and character who were never mean to carry a movie into the lead. That might sound unfair, but these movies need a very strong lead, and almost all of them do.. It would be hard to replace Boseman, so I get it, but at the same time the lack of such an actor weakened the film.
    I just watched it for the first time on Disney + but I couldn't disagree more with you as I actually think I actually liked Wakanda Forever even more than the first and I liked the first a whole lot.

I think this might be the first superhero film to really introduce multiple new characters and actually use them well. The first Avengers film did decently with Hawkeye and really Black Widow as she hardly did anything in Iron Man 2, and Batman Returns did well with both Penguin and Catwoman but on the whole most films sputter when introducing more than one new character. Meanwhile, this film managed Namor, Riri Williams and although Shuri was in the first film this was arguably her real introduction as a fully realized character and her transition into the role of Black Panther was fantastic.
    I'm sad we never got another Black Panther with Boseman as he was a tremendous talent but I'd gladly watch another with Letitia Wright.

On that topic I'd also love a proper Namor film with Tenoch Huerta because he was pretty fantastic as well.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!