Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Sure the trailer looks nice and all but this will be the first MCU movie I don't watch. I'll look up important plot details online when it drops but that's it. For those of you who do see I hope you enjoy yourselves.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    Sure the trailer looks nice and all but this will be the first MCU movie I don't watch. I'll look up important plot details online when it drops but that's it. For those of you who do see I hope you enjoy yourselves.
    If you don’t mind me asking, why don’t you think you’ll watch it if you think the trailer is good?

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Sou desu.

They should give Doom his own movie.
    It would be such a Dr. Doom thing for him to get a movie before the FF get their own official movie.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    Um why......? Like you're not ever going to watch it or just not see it in movie theaters?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    It would be such a Dr. Doom thing for him to get a movie before the FF get their own official movie.
    he got jealous when that Accursed Richards got a spot in Doctor Strange!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I'm 99% sure Namor will be framed for killing T'Challa but it will actually be Doom, revealed in the end credits.

Astonishing Member

Even though the trailer looks good, I think a lot of T'Challa fans are boycotting the movie. Also I think there's some backlash for lack of black male actors with prominent roles in this movie. Been seeing comments about that too. Some controversy surrounding the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Even though the trailer looks good, I think a lot of T'Challa fans are boycotting the movie. Also I think there's some backlash for lack of black male actors with prominent roles in this movie. Been seeing comments about that too. Some controversy surrounding the movie.
    I was one of those in the Im not seeing it because it doesnt have Tchalla in it. And was just going to see it for Namor. But the more I thought of that the more foolish it kind of sounded. I am bummed that Tchalla is not in the movie but I do want to support it. As much grief as the MCU gets for not doing something different This movie is doing something different. I want to go show my support for that and I may be pleasantly surprised at the end of the day.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I have a friend in that camp. I told him that seems like a wasted effort and it really isn't that serious. I would LOVE them to recast T'Challa but they aren't and this is the hand we've been dealt. I still want to show my support for POC's and, as always, "I'm rooting for everybody black!"

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I think the trailer is amazing and it looks really good, so I will definitely be seeing it opening weekend.

As an X-Men fan, I'm used to not seeing my favorites show up, so it doesn't faze (yes, that's how you spell it) me to not see T'Challa. In the first one, I liked Okoye, Nakia, and M'Baku, so seeing them returning with bigger roles works for me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Eh, I see the argument about the Black Panther being a title that's passed down, but I don't think that at all negates the fact that T'Challa is the character created as the Black Panther, and the one who is meant by Black Panther when people speak of the character/hero, the vast majority of the time. It is not a perfect comparison by any means, but I'd say this argument would be somewhat like saying Buffy Summers is not important as a character in the Buffyverse, because the mantle of slayer is inherently passed down. Absolutely true, but doesn't change that the show/stories/universe grew around the portrayal of the one character, so ... you know, you could easily make a modern show that has nothing to do with Buffy, but it would be a pretty questionable decision, I think.

In the same way, for all the mythos that has developed over the mantle of Black Panther in the decades since the character was created, I don't think there's any getting around that T'Challa is the Black Panther.

I do see the problem with re-casting though, because Boseman was fantastic in the role. No easy, right answer, except permanently shelving T'Challa in the MCU, pretty sure that probably isn't it.
    Fair enough. And I'm with you that at some point we need to see another T'Challa on-screen (just like we need to see another Tony Stark). The Multiverse makes that possible without a reboot (or maybe the multiverse will build up to a reboot in a few years...who knows?)

That said, while T'Challa is undoubtedly the character who Black Panther was created as, if we examine the fundamentals of his character, and the franchise in general, what do we find? He's a character who, more than anything else, is defined by being the king of Wakanda and holding the mantle of Black Panther (the two usually being one and the same). Which is not to say that T'Challa isn't a distinct character in his own right with his own personality - but so much of his story and his character is defined by Wakanda.

Then you examine the Black Panther film itself. The movie had become the pop-cultural juggernaut that it is not just because of the character of T'Challa but because of the world of Wakanda, its history, its culture, and the rich cast of characters who live there or who get involved with the place. ''Wakanda Forever'' is a phrase that has entered the pop-culture lexicon in its own right. So yeah, there's definitely a lot that the Black Panther mythos (or the Wakandan mythos rather) can offer beyond the character of T'Challa. And conveniently the mantle of Black Panther isn't tied to one character alone.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    he got jealous when that Accursed Richards got a spot in Doctor Strange!
    Well, I lol'ed. Doom would not have gotten punked so badly by Wanda either.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 07-25-2022 at 01:07 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

I can understand T’Challa fans being upset. No one wanted things to play out like this. I think refusing to see the movie is cutting off your nose to spite your face however, but that’s their choice.

As for the lack of black male actors. I don’t get it. Why do some men, black or white, seem to have a problem with strong women getting some shine. The fact that a big budget movie like this can exist at all should be celebrated by everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    If you don’t mind me asking, why don’t you think you’ll watch it if you think the trailer is good?
    No problem, while I do believe that those in charge of the movie truly think that what they're doing will honor the legacy of Chadwick Boseman I respectfully disagree. There are other ways to honor and mourn the man aside from sidelining the character he brought to life. I don't wish I'll of the film but it's just not something I'm going to support myself.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Um why......? Like you're not ever going to watch it or just not see it in movie theaters?
    See my response to Jack The Tripper. I have zero intention of seeing it in theaters though if my family really wants to watch it on Disney plus I might relent but I don't think that's going to happen.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Ultimate Member

Discussion regarding Boseman aside, I'm kinda surprised that they're introducing Atlantis in the second movie. I kinda hoped that they'd focus more on developing Wakanda