Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Everyone says Constantine wrong, so I wouldn’t put too much stock in how they say Namor either.
    Ok just making sure I wasn’t the one saying it wrong all this time. My avatar has been Namor for years on here if I didn’t even know how to say his name…. Lol

Anyway like the new trailer.

Do we think that Attuma is gonna be a mutant too in this? Or is he gonna be a normal Atlantian just a bit bigger and more skilled? Cause I feel like Attuma has to be villian here, either that or there isn’t a real villain. Tenoch Huerta said Namor is not a villain but an anti-hero. So I feel like Attuma and maybe some radical Atlantians (Or Talocans? Iono how to spell it). Will be the real villains with Namor teaming up with Wakanda to stop them. I think for that to work Attuma has to be a threat to Namor in some way. Guess you can do it in other ways they raw strength. Curious to see what they do with Attuma. Doubt they keep him a mutant among his people too

I wonder with the changes made to Namor, could it have been part of a strategy to ease the legal restrictions that were in place from the original movie development contract with Universal? Or maybe it's just coincidence.

No comment yet from the studio folks on whether there can be a Sub-Mariner solo movie. There will hopefully be one but I guess he'll show up in the next Avengers group movie. Maybe his own Disney Plus show.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Ok just making sure I wasn’t the one saying it wrong all this time. My avatar has been Namor for years on here if I didn’t even know how to say his name…. Lol

Anyway like the new trailer.

Do we think that Attuma is gonna be a mutant too in this? Or is he gonna be a normal Atlantian just a bit bigger and more skilled? Cause I feel like Attuma has to be villian here, either that or there isn’t a real villain. Tenoch Huerta said Namor is not a villain but an anti-hero. So I feel like Attuma and maybe some radical Atlantians (Or Talocans? Iono how to spell it). Will be the real villains with Namor teaming up with Wakanda to stop them. I think for that to work Attuma has to be a threat to Namor in some way. Guess you can do it in other ways they raw strength. Curious to see what they do with Attuma. Doubt they keep him a mutant among his people too
    It's been "Nay-More" since at least 1966

https://youtu.be/0Ul-miPO0P4

Mighty Member

Going to have to watch the trailer again, didn't even realize they named Namor in it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

I think they messed up making Sam Cap (Bucky made more sense thematically).
    I'd love to see your reasoning. MCU Bucky makes absolutely no sense as Cap. Not only has he been publicly outed as the WS, but he's both deeply traumatized and has no grounding whatsoever in the modern day. He's not in a position to inspire anyone. And is still going to have to work to become a good man.

Sam already is one.

Which makes him the better candidate by miles. Love MCU Bucky, but his arc definitely doesn't end with him carrying the shield.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Going to have to watch the trailer again, didn't even realize they named Namor in it.

I'd love to see your reasoning. MCU Bucky makes absolutely no sense as Cap. Not only has he been publicly outed as the WS, but he's both deeply traumatized and has no grounding whatsoever in the modern day. He's not in a position to inspire anyone. And is still going to have to work to become a good man.

Sam already is one.

Which makes him the better candidate by miles. Love MCU Bucky, but his arc definitely doesn't end with him carrying the shield.
    When Bucky got the shield over Sam in the comics, I wasn't happy because I had been waiting YEARS to see Sam take over. Sam had done the work and was definitely ready to take the mantle. Then Bucky just swoops in and takes it. Falcon is my second biggest Marvel comic collection, so I can say I was in the entitled biased fan catagory.

In the MCU, Sam is not established as a leader or really anything but a sidekick by Endgame to get the shield. He's great as the Falcon. He's his own man. Sam wasn't carrying a banner and didn't need to.

Bucky in the MCU IMHO needed the shield in order to prove to others and most of all himself, that he was worthy. What you said as why he should not take the shield is exactly why he should have it.

I think Sam was the lazy narrative. Bucky would have had to work at it and it probably wouldn't have ended well for him but been a beautiful redemption arc. As it stands now, he seems to just be spinning.

The biggest push for Sam getting the shield was coming from outside the narrative, not inside (the reverse of the comics and the opposite outcome).

FatWS didn't really change much other than give a slightly skewed version of a story we have already seen in the MCU. I am hopeful that NWO course corrects that a bit and gives Sam better agency and lets him be cool again.

I am not one of those fanboys that doesn't get what he wanted and thinks everything should fail.

It just felt like a massive miss IMHO but I am sure they will nail it in NWO.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 10-04-2022 at 09:11 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post

Exactly.

That matter was settled so long ago that there are folks who are probably too young to even know...

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post

Alright good, went through this with Dormammu a few years ago. Kept seeing people who say they are comic fans calling him Door-mam- moo instead of Door-maw-moo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I wonder with the changes made to Namor, could it have been part of a strategy to ease the legal restrictions that were in place from the original movie development contract with Universal? Or maybe it's just coincidence.
    I think it had to do with the fact that DC's Aquaman was a hit and they are already using Atlantis. Never thought I'd see the day when Marvel would be intimidated by Aquaman, but here we are. Feels bad.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I think it had to do with the fact that DC's Aquaman was a hit and they are already using Atlantis. Never thought I'd see the day when Marvel would be intimidated by Aquaman, but here we are. Feels bad.

Ultimate Member

Alright good, went through this with Dormammu a few years ago. Kept seeing people who say they are comic fans calling him Door-mam- moo instead of Door-maw-moo.
    Ooh, the pronunciations in Dr. Strange boggled me. I always thought it was DorMAMoo not DorMAWmoo, and AgaMAWtoe, not AgaMOEtoe.

Still, it was all in my head. If Marvel says a character whose named is spelled 'Raymond Luxury Yacht' is pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove,' I've got to accept that.

I also think they are trying to do what they did with Wakanda and is give other cultures they’re shine. Atlantis just being a generic advanced city with blue fish people is less interesting then working in this South American myth/Lore into it. I wanted them to make Atlantis a Polynesian inspired culture given they connection to the water. I thought DC was doing that but Aquamans Polynesian connection was on the human side. I would have cast the dude from Marco Polo and plays the rock in college+ era in Young Rock. Don’t know his name without googling it. If he just got ripped and slimmed down a bit he could of been great imo. Anyway I like what they are doing here and I don’t think it’s becuase intimidation. I think they believe they can do for Latin American culture what Black Panther did for African Americans culture. I like that It seems like Namor might not be King becuase it was his birthright, or becuase he’s the strongest. It becuase his Ankle wings, his people worship him as a god. Haven’t gotten enough of his personality in the trailers but being worshipped as a god your whole life. would make even a good man a bit pompous and arrogant. Though given his voice over in the trailer I think Namor is gonna be more vulnerable and sincere then he is in the comics. Have to wait and see I guess.

It’s really not that new an idea that Atlantis could be an ancient civilisation of the Americas. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locati...antis#Americas

I do think they’re obviously trying to link Black Panther’s African-American fable with a similar concept for Latino Americans, but there’s definitely a scholarly basis for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    It’s really not that new an idea that Atlantis could be an ancient civilisation of the Americas. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locati...antis#Americas

I do think they’re obviously trying to link Black Panther’s African-American fable with a similar concept for Latino Americans, but there’s definitely a scholarly basis for it.
    Yea they could have done this with any culture though. Polynesian it could have been Lua-U-Milu which is like a land of the dead ancestral place that could just be a hidden city like they doing Talocan. I’m sure A lot of Asian cultures have lost cities and myths they could have used to Great effect. I like what what they are doing here just gotta wait and see the execution

Ultimate Member

If they were intimidated, we wouldn't have Namor at all.

Disney just wants more stuff they can possibly copyright

I also think they are trying to do what they did with Wakanda and is give other cultures they’re shine. Atlantis just being a generic advanced city with blue fish people is less interesting then working in this South American myth/Lore into it. I wanted them to make Atlantis a Polynesian inspired culture given they connection to the water. I thought DC was doing that but Aquamans Polynesian connection was on the human side. I would have cast the dude from Marco Polo and plays the rock in college+ era in Young Rock. Don’t know his name without googling it. If he just got ripped and slimmed down a bit he could of been great imo. Anyway I like what they are doing here and I don’t think it’s becuase intimidation. I think they believe they can do for Latin American culture what Black Panther did for African Americans culture. I like that It seems like Namor might not be King becuase it was his birthright, or becuase he’s the strongest. It becuase his Ankle wings, his people worship him as a god. Haven’t gotten enough of his personality in the trailers but being worshipped as a god your whole life. would make even a good man a bit pompous and arrogant. Though given his voice over in the trailer I think Namor is gonna be more vulnerable and sincere then he is in the comics. Have to wait and see I guess.
    Way back before there was a film to be "Intimidated..." by...

https://www.history.com/news/top-6-t...about-atlantis

Top 6 Theories About Atlantis
    2. Atlantis was swallowed up by the Bermuda Triangle.

Inspired by Donnelly, many later writers expanded on his theories and added their own speculations as to where Atlantis may have been. One of these writers was Charles Berlitz, grandson of the founder of the well-known language schools, and author of many books on paranormal phenomena. In the 1970s, Berlitz claimed Atlantis was a real continent located off the Bahamas that had fallen victim to the notorious “Bermuda Triangle,” a region of the Atlantic where a number of ships had supposedly disappeared under mysterious circumstances. Supporters of this theory point to the discovery of what look like man-made walls and streets found off the coast of Bimini, although scientists have evaluated these structures and found them to be natural beach-rock formations.