Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041 LastLast

"I ignore/overlook the plot problems in movies I prefer" is a pretty good summation of the past "several paragraphs."

Boisterously Confused

Got around to it yesterday. A serious drawback was Namor's absence. The movie character had quite a few things in common with him, but that character wasn't The Submariner. What they gave us was as regal as a damp dishrag.

It was a great-looking film, with some really entertaining moments, and some really heart-tugging stuff. I also liked that Attuma was allowed to be powerful and dangerous without looking like he'd just retired from the WWE.

On the whole, I share a lot of Kirby's opinions. I am also solidly in the "recast" camp; Marvel 100 dropped that ball.

Still, for its faults, it entertained me.

ETA: M'Baku was a delight in every scene, as in all his previous appearances. I would never have believed it a few years ago, but I'd love a Man-Ape series.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 02-07-2023 at 09:22 PM.

Extraordinary Member

‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’ Makes Third Place Start in China Cinemas

“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” the first Marvel franchise movie to be released in mainland China for three years, made a quiet start in Chinese cinemas.
    The film debuted Tuesday and grossed $3.47 million according to ticketing agency Maoyan. That represented a 17% market share and a third place slot behind Chinese-produced box office leaders “The Wandering Earth II” and historical action drama “Full River Red.”

Based on social media activity, ticket buying and pre-sales for the next days, Maoyan has released a forecast that the film will enjoy a lifetime gross of RMB118 million ($17.3 million) in China. Forecasts are liable to significant change over the first few days of a film’s career and can be changed upwards or downwards.

The predicted career looks anemic compared with the score achieved by the first “Black Panther” movie which released in China in March 2018 and earned $105 million. But given the two-month gap since the film was released in the rest of the worlds, a short period for the film’s marketing in China and an unusual Tuesday release, the number is probably considered satisfactory.

“Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” will open later this month.

They are the first Marvel Studios films to release in mainland China since “Spider-Man: Far From Home.” Titles such as “Venom: Let There Be Carnage” and “Thor: Love and Thunder” have not been released.

Chinese authorities did not explain the Marvel ban officially and it became conflated with COVID restrictions and the ongoing cold war with the U.S. which anyway slowed the volume of Hollywood and U.S. independent films imported.

While Disney, because of its huge theme parks in Shanghai and Hong Kong, is generally seen as warm to China, commentators were able to impute several political red lines which may have been crossed by Marvel films.

These include an allegedly racist depiction of a Chinese character in “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings,” past interviews that were critical of China by “Eternals” director Chloe Zhao, and the position on Tibet taken by “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” star Benedict Cumberbatch.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/b...na-1235515335/

My blu ray player doesn’t play 4k blu ray for some reason, so I had to watch it online. Overall, I thought it was good, if not a bit too long. I thought Letitia wright did a good job in this; I liked riri Williams, and hope we see more of her. Namor, for all the interest in his culture came across as single minded in his hatred for the surface world, after one incident he witnessed several hundred years ago: couldn’t really sympathize with him. And what will become of agent Ross?
    Last edited by protege; 02-18-2023 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    My blu ray player doesn’t play 4k blu ray for some reason, so I had to watch it online. Overall, I thought it was good, if not a bit too long. I thought Letitia wright did a good job in this; I liked riri Williams, and hope we see more of her. Namor, for all the interest in his culture came across as single minded in his hatred for the surface world, after one incident he witnessed several hundred years ago: couldn’t really sympathize with him. And what will become of agent Ross?
    It wasn't explicitly stated either way, but it is fairly safe to assume he's noticed other atrocities through the years. Sunken battleships (indicating war), trash and other pollution, oil spills, over-fishing/whaling, etc.

Probably has many reasons not to favor the surface world.

Is your blu ray player a 4K Blu Ray player? You need to get a player that specifies it plays 4K in order to play 4K discs. A regular blu ray player won't play 4K discs.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Is your blu ray player a 4K Blu Ray player? You need to get a player that specifies it plays 4K in order to play 4K discs. A regular blu ray player won't play 4K discs.
    And a TV that can handle 4K. I had that problem. Luckily, my TV broke so I could get a new one.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I finally watched it and think it was just OK. I really didn't like this take on Namor and the Atlanteans. I think making Vibranium the reason they all became mermen was lame as hell and takes so much mythos away from Atlantis. It would be interesting for a bit then take two steps back. The final fight with Namor was so lame and then him just giving up. All in all a pretty forgetable MCU movie and it is one like Eternals or Thor Love and Thunder that i will probably never watch or think about again.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    "I ignore/overlook the plot problems in movies I prefer" is a pretty good summation of the past "several paragraphs."
    LOL! Yes, as long as it doesn't pull me out of the movie, I probably do overlook things that are actually issues.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Got around to it yesterday. A serious drawback was Namor's absence. The movie character had quite a few things in common with him, but that character wasn't The Submariner. What they gave us was as regal as a damp dishrag.

It was a great-looking film, with some really entertaining moments, and some really heart-tugging stuff. I also liked that Attuma was allowed to be powerful and dangerous without looking like he'd just retired from the WWE.

On the whole, I share a lot of Kirby's opinions. I am also solidly in the "recast" camp; Marvel 100 dropped that ball.

Still, for its faults, it entertained me.

ETA: M'Baku was a delight in every scene, as in all his previous appearances. I would never have believed it a few years ago, but I'd love a Man-Ape series.
    I have to disagree with your take on MCU Namor, I thought Tenoch Huerta was great.

Agree 1000% with your opinion on M'Baku. Super and underrated performance by Winston Duke.

Someone said they saw Ross in a Secret Invasion trailer, which makes sense. Hopefully we'll see him in Thunderbolts also.

It was more than one incident. His father died from smallpox brought by the Spanish. And the Spanish drove them from their lands, forcing them to physically alter themselves into waterbreathers to survive. It wasn't until he returned to bury his mother that he saw exactly what the colonization they escaped from meant. He was lived through the Age of Colonization and saw that incident and more play out across every continent. It isn't hatred for the surface world that motivated him, but keeping them out of Talokan -- which is the same policy Wakanda had until T'challa.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    It wasn't explicitly stated either way, but it is fairly safe to assume he's noticed other atrocities through the years. Sunken battleships (indicating war), trash and other pollution, oil spills, over-fishing/whaling, etc.

Probably has many reasons not to favor the surface world.
    Yes, alot of it is implicit, subtle, or got cut out.

In his speech on the throne, Namor says Talokan will not move AGAIN. I think it was cut, but the Talokan have moved several times since 1500 as the Europeans increased the ocean traffic to colonize the New World was causing problems. Compare how shallow Namor's birthplace was to being in the depths of the Puerto Rico Trench.

We also had the Yucantan woman who told Nakia about K'uk'ulkan repeatedly appearing, and people who hunt him going missing, so we know he's visiting the surface, and from his 'memorabilia' hut in the cave, you can see he picked up all sorts of things over the ages from the surface.

And we know that Namor is monitoring the surface world, given how knowledgeable he is about current events and specifics like Riri creating the vibranium detector.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I finally watched it and think it was just OK. I really didn't like this take on Namor and the Atlanteans. I think making Vibranium the reason they all became mermen was lame as hell and takes so much mythos away from Atlantis. It would be interesting for a bit then take two steps back. The final fight with Namor was so lame and then him just giving up. All in all a pretty forgetable MCU movie and it is one like Eternals or Thor Love and Thunder that i will probably never watch or think about again.
    I watched the first Black Panther and it's amazing how much was lifted from that movie for the second movie. The water breather transformation and vibranium was straight out of the intro for the heartshaped herb and the vibranium mound.

If you think that's lame, try reading the origin of mermen for the MU. Or I should say one of many origins. The mythos of comic Atlantis is a mess, and rarely explored. There's no way they could use it, given it is tied to REH's Thurian and Hyborean mythos. And did they really need a rehash of Aquaman or Disney's Atlantis or any other use of it movies and TV? As I've said before, what annoys me far more is that long before this movie, the MCU screwed Namor out of all of his history and his ties and foundational status in the MU.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-20-2023 at 12:02 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Well this isn't good frist Jonathan Majors now Tenoch Huerta why are the villans in the MCU villans in real life?

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...akanda-forever

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Well this isn't good frist Jonathan Majors now Tenoch Huerta why are the villans in the MCU villans in real life?

Because a lot of men are horrible and it happens more times than we want to acknowledge. #MeToo allowed more women to come forward and make us address this crap.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Why are you assuming it's true?

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Why are you assuming it's true?
    Im not but usually were there's smoke there's fire.

Im not but usually were there's smoke there's fire.
    That's not the correct analogy lol there's only been one accuser, not several. So again, why believe this one person making the claim?

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    That's not the correct analogy lol there's only been one accuser, not several. So again, why believe this one person making the claim?
    In your opinion maybe. But again I don't necessarily believe it I wasn't there I don't know all the facts I hope it's not true but more often than not it's been at least half true also she says there are other accusers I don't know if that’s true or not but I nor going to call her a lier either.