Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    There is a difference between making jokes about a character and a character being considered as a joke. Aquaman was the latter.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ed/7c...0dfa2409a8.jpg

No one ever considered Superman, Batman etc. as useless.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    And Aquaman was both popular and well known sure he isn't superman or batman popular but he is popular all the same.
    Agreed!!!!!!

Ultimate Member

There were a lot of jokes about Aquaman but he’s been a well know character for decades now.

As much as the Super-Friends didn’t exactly portray Aquaman as a “cool character”, his name recognition is pretty high up there (a lot of people’s first exposure to some of these characters was through the Super-Friends and that went on for almost 10 years). The comics didn’t help much with the character’s varying power levels at different points in time. I would argue that in general recognition, Aquaman has over taken Namor a long time ago.

That being said, I don’t see what Marvel is doing with Namor as a retreat at all. I think the Mesoamerican take on Atlantis is to contrast it with Wakanda, hidden super-powerful “tribal” civilizations. Atlantis being around South America and Wakanda in Africa. The DCEU Atlantis is a super-science society largely populated by white passing people, Momoa’s Aquaman looks the way he does because his human father in the movie looks like he’s aboriginal. The DCEU Atlantis isn’t Polynesian inspired.

There is a difference between making jokes about a character and a character being considered as a joke. Aquaman was the latter.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ed/7c...0dfa2409a8.jpg

No one ever considered Superman, Batman etc. as useless.
    well agree to disagree I guess I've been reading comics for awhile and besides the one off joke here and there like pretty much every CBH AM was never considered useless or a joke in anything but family guy or robot chicken maybe a super friends joke it was never a big thing.

Incredible Member

well agree to disagree I guess I've been reading comics for awhile and besides the one off joke here and there like pretty much every CBH AM was never considered useless or a joke in anything but family guy or robot chicken maybe a super friends joke it was never a big thing.
    Never a big thing?

Look, I like Aquaman. I think he has a pretty cool power set despite all the changes and retcons. However I can’t understand how you are unaware of how much work it took to get the character from laughing stock to respected character with a hit movie.

The problem starts with The Superfriends cartoon. That was a lot of peoples introduction to the character and it wasn’t a great first impression. Aquaman is stronger, faster and tougher than regular humans but that was never showcased in the cartoon because Superman and Wonder Woman are stronger and tougher and they and the Flash are faster.

The majority of his power set is overshadowed by his teammates and that leaves the one thing he is most known for. Talking to fish. So unless a crisis involved the ocean somehow he was considered useless. That perception, right or wrong, stuck with people.

His comic book appearances are better but they didn’t do a lot to change his image. In the mid ‘80s he had a miniseries where he sported the blue and white costume. The end of that mini had him defeating Ocean Master by having an emotional breakdown which left him in tears and apparently put him in tune with his emotions which gave him more control of his magic.

That mini was heavily mocked even by fans of the character who hated it. So in 1990 Peter David tried to drastically change Aquaman’s image. This led to Aquaman losing his hand which was replaced with a hook and basically becoming underwater Wolverine. He also had a water hand at one point but the less said about that the better.

That run of the character did quite well and it’s the version of the character that they used for the 2001 Justice League cartoon. Which reintroduced the character to a whole new generation of fans and inspired the movie version.

So yes the character was considered useless and a joke until Peter David basically reinvented the character in the comics and then the JL cartoon made that version popular outside of comics.
    Last edited by HollowSage; 08-02-2022 at 10:49 AM.

Never a big thing?

Look, I like Aquaman. I think he has a pretty cool power set despite all the changes and retcons. However I can’t understand how you are unaware of how much work it took to get the character from laughing stock to respected character with a hit movie.

The problem starts with The Superfriends cartoon. That was a lot of peoples introduction to the character and it wasn’t a great first impression. Aquaman is stronger, faster and tougher than regular humans but that was never showcased in the cartoon because Superman and Wonder Woman are stronger and tougher and they and the Flash are faster.

The majority of his power set is overshadowed by his teammates and that leaves the one thing he is most known for. Talking to fish. So unless a crisis involved the ocean somehow he was considered useless. That perception, right or wrong, stuck with people.

His comic book appearances are better but they didn’t do a lot to change his image. In the mid ‘80s he had a miniseries where he sported the blue and white costume. The end of that mini had him defeating Ocean Master by having an emotional breakdown which left him in tears and apparently put him in tune with his emotions which gave him more control of his magic.

That mini was heavily mocked even by fans of the character who hated it. So in 1990 Peter David tried to drastically change Aquaman’s image. This led to Aquaman losing his hand which was replaced with a hook and basically becoming underwater Wolverine. He also had a water hand at one point but the less said about that the better.

That run of the character did quite well and it’s the version of the character that they used for the 2001 Justice League cartoon. Which reintroduced the character to a whole new generation of fans and inspired the movie version.

So yes the character was considered useless and a joke until Peter David basically reinvented the character in the comics and then the JL cartoon made that version popular outside of comics.
    Again agree to disagree you have a few points but it's just not true that he was considered useless and a joke in the comics he was still popular before and after anything you are talking about. be hell iv seen way more super friends jokes about green lantern and the color yellow.
    Last edited by choptop; 08-02-2022 at 11:42 AM.

Incredible Member

Again agree to disagree you have a few points but it's just not true that he was considered useless and a joke in the comics he was still popular before and after anything you are talking about. be hell iv seen way more super friends jokes about green lantern and the color yellow.
    You don’t want to believe me, that’s fine. I’m just a random poster on the internet. However with a simple google search you can find articles that quote comic writers who wrote the character like Keith Giffen, Grant Morrison, Kurt Busiek and Peter David. They explain the challenges of having to overcome the perception of the character as being the butt of a lot of jokes.

So don’t take my word for it. Go read what the actual writers have to say about the character and his public perception. If you don’t believe them then I don’t know what else to say.

You don’t want to believe me, that’s fine. I’m just a random poster on the internet. However with a simple google search you can find articles that quote comic writers who wrote the character like Keith Giffen, Grant Morrison, Kurt Busiek and Peter David. They explain the challenges of having to overcome the perception of the character as being the butt of a lot of jokes.

So don’t take my word for it. Go read what the actual writers have to say about the character and his public perception. If you don’t believe them then I don’t know what else to say.
    Ya Iv seen thos they don't really mean anything there's probably writers saying the exact opposite out there you know opinions and all.

This led to Aquaman losing his hand which was replaced with a hook.
    Harpoon. It was a harpoon. This is the one thing everyone always gets wrong about that run.

Quote Originally Posted by Choptop
    Once again, there is a difference between someone joking about a character and a character being considered a joke.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 08-02-2022 at 08:47 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

This thread is about Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. Stop derailing it with discussions about Aquaman.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    There were a lot of jokes about Aquaman but he’s been a well know character for decades now.

As much as the Super-Friends didn’t exactly portray Aquaman as a “cool character”, his name recognition is pretty high up there (a lot of people’s first exposure to some of these characters was through the Super-Friends and that went on for almost 10 years). The comics didn’t help much with the character’s varying power levels at different points in time. I would argue that in general recognition, Aquaman has over taken Namor a long time ago.

That being said, I don’t see what Marvel is doing with Namor as a retreat at all. I think the Mesoamerican take on Atlantis is to contrast it with Wakanda, hidden super-powerful “tribal” civilizations. Atlantis being around South America and Wakanda in Africa. The DCEU Atlantis is a super-science society largely populated by white passing people, Momoa’s Aquaman looks the way he does because his human father in the movie looks like he’s aboriginal. The DCEU Atlantis isn’t Polynesian inspired.
    Maori. Not aboriginal.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Do we know if the movie rights have reverted to Marvel?

Because it may be possible that Namor isn't the next franchise as we all expect, but instead is just a big character who can come and go as needed.

I mean, Namor is a big part of the FF too, after all
    The changes are likely cultural based. Sure, they might be differentiating their "Atlantis" from the one in DC. But I, too, have wondered if the changes are to skirt around the Universal deal. If that's still in place, Namor won't get a film. It's why they haven't done one before now despite wanting to do one.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Harpoon. It was a harpoon. This is the one thing everyone always gets wrong about that run.

Once again, there is a difference between someone joking about a character and a character being considered a joke.
    Once again I agree with you there is a difference ppl made joke's about him but he was never considered a joke.

Anyway back on topic does anyone know if Namor is the villain in the movie? I know he is sometimes a villain in the comics right?
    Last edited by choptop; 08-03-2022 at 01:45 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    No, they are just.too conditioned by the literally unreal standards of comic book Namor.
    So Michael Phelps body fit is NOT real as per your logic?

Same applies to a majority of athletic swimmers.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    So Michael Phelps body fit is NOT real as per your logic?

Same applies to a majority of athletic swimmers.
    Namor is a lot fitter than Michael Phelps, or any real person for that matter.