Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    The baby is Namor. It’s an underwater birth and there are wings on his ankles.
    ā sō desu ka?

Well thats even cooler!

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I believe that’s Nakia in the BP suit. Clue (1) They show her at the very beginning of the trailer. Clue (2) The shape of the person in the suit seems feminine. I rule out Shiri bc she is very petite. The person has a little more curves. Clue (3) The Queen said she lost her ENTIRE family. I think Nakia will have to rescue Shiri from Namor. But Dr. Doom is actually pulling the strings unbeknownst to both kingdoms.
    If we get a post-credit scene of Doom, that will be the best MCU thing since I saw "Queens" on the screen in Civil War.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 07-24-2022 at 09:41 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

So what's up with the namer movie rights? Did marvel get them back or did they make a deal like spiderman and hulk?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    ā sō desu ka?

Well thats even cooler!

If we get a post-credit scene of Doom, that will be the best MCU thing since I saw "Queens" on the screen in Civil War.
    Sou desu.

They should give Doom his own movie.

That trailer honestly blew me away!

I always thought they shouldn’t recast, but I was still really worried about how the film would be, but honestly this looks like it might be an emotional ride of a film. I’ll miss T’Challa as a character but I think we’ll get a better film out of this. I hope so at least. As a tribute to Chadwick, this film could be exceptional.

There are a lot of similarities to Avatar 2, but honestly, it looks better in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    So what's up with the namer movie rights? Did marvel get them back or did they make a deal like spiderman and hulk?
    I’m not sure but I think the rights lapsed due to there not being any Namor films released? I’m assuming Universal lost the rights that way

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Is that any different from any other recast???

Heath Leger was picked apart and yet nailed Joker.

Star Trek, Dr Who, Power Rangers and others have had to replace leads be it new person or a recast.

Heck Soap Operas made a career of it.

Yet here-it can't be done.

People who want it are detractors. When we got a history of studios moving on and recasting.

Yes getting picked apart comes with the JOB.

Folks would RIOT if Marvel said Logan and the Fox era X-Men would not be casted because of the previous folks were so iconic.

So instead here is Ms Marvel and the New X-Men Academy kids.
    I understand this line of thinking, but those recastings are totally different - new series of films/universe where all the casts change and the style changes etc etc

I understand the idea of the character being more important than the man playing him (I don’t agree), but the fact is the character of T’Challa will live forever because of Chadwick’s portrayal of him. When the MCU ends, or when they reboot or whatever, Black Panther will be first in line for a new film.

I think it would also be unfair to put the cast and crew through a recasting process, and for any actor to have to face the ridiculous amount of hate and critique they’d probably receive for not being Chadwick.

The only thing I agree with is that it’s sad that the most prominent black male superhero is not going to be front and center for a while, but there are other great characters that can be just as iconic.

If they rebooted the Marvel universe and then said they wouldn’t recast T’Challa, I’d agree with you, but that’s not what they’re doing. I’m sure we’ll get a new T’Challa during Secret Wars, let the creatives behind these films, the people that knew the actor, grieve and tell a story honouring him before we go out and immediately replace him.

I love the trailer. It looks amazing. It looks like a movie that actually wants to tell a story.

I was really disappointed in all the last marvel movies. I hope Black Panther 2 will change that.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Wait For It.
    I'm already seeing complaints about how it's "woke" and will fail at the box office.

This person is running for Congress complaining about, "Where are the men?" https://twitter.com/lavern_spicer/st...58536801079298

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The beef between Atlantis and Wankanda is ancient. This conflict is depicted in Wakandian murals

https://mobile.twitter.com/GL2814_3/...07445468413953

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I'm already seeing complaints about how it's "woke" and will fail at the box office.

This person is running for Congress complaining about, "Where are the men?" https://twitter.com/lavern_spicer/st...58536801079298
    Elected officials sure do love bitching about Super Hero movies. I remember a couple weeks ago when the first trailer dropped for She Hulk and the scene she carried that guy out of the room into the bed room was Liberal Hollywood attempting to emasculate men.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Elected officials sure do love bitching about Super Hero movies. I remember a couple weeks ago when the first trailer dropped for She Hulk and the scene she carried that guy out of the room into the bed room was Liberal Hollywood attempting to emasculate men.
    They only want straight white male leads, so they might focus on gender, it's more than that. When they had a male Black Panther, the same people said it was woke and would be the first MCU fail.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    From what I have read on some sites. The cast did not want to do it with a recast. Everyone is upset but if thats true this is the best option. I understand why Marvel did with they did. Recasting sounds easy. But this will be a memorial for this actor. Its the proper way to do it. Not just doing a movie with another actor and everyone acting like its all cool. Sorry I agree with Marvel on this.
    I understand how personal this was for Coogler and the rest of the cast. I think there were a lot of other factors at play but ultimately I also think it's important that T'Challa, as a character, still be front and center.

Especially when it seems like the only prominent black male character in this movie is going to be M'Baku.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    That trailer honestly blew me away!

I always thought they shouldn’t recast, but I was still really worried about how the film would be, but honestly this looks like it might be an emotional ride of a film. I’ll miss T’Challa as a character but I think we’ll get a better film out of this. I hope so at least. As a tribute to Chadwick, this film could be exceptional.

There are a lot of similarities to Avatar 2, but honestly, it looks better in my opinion
    I think the success of this film hinges a lot on Cooglers' direction and the actors...and hopefully the plot holds up better than some of the other MCU movies.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Perhaps the movie could even work with Boseman and T'challa, but adding the fact that his substitute (Letitia Wright) is extremely dumb and unlikeable even by Hollywood standards makes it an even bigger challenge. They are probably overpopulating the movie (Namor, Ironheart, etc), so people don't notice that, but probably the rational call would have been recast both T'challa and Shuri.

Astonishing Member

Well...that sure was a barrage of images and sounds. In a great way of course

Honestly, I'd forgotten that Namor and Atlantis are involved in this, and I kinda didn't clock those parts even in the trailer (despite the visual of the kid literally being born underwater!) I was more focused on the action, on what seemed like T'Challa's funeral, and of course Ramonda's impassioned speech.

I didn't clock the debut of Riri Williams as well, though I did notice something that looked like an Iron Man armor(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    bittersweet without Mr. Bosemon.

The "no recasting" announcement was premature. I'll leave it at that. Future Phases need to reconsider the embargo.
    I'm on the fence about this. I understand why Marvel made the decision that they did, and in context, it's the right one. Chadwick Boseman didn't just ace a role but became a socio-cultural and socio-political phenomenon as Black Panther. His death was mourned at a global scale. The shadow of his passing would definitely hang heavy over this movie, so ignoring it completely by recasting the character and pretending that nothing happened would be a disservice not just to Boseman and his admirers, but to the film as well. Plus, I'm sure that on a personal level, the cast and crew and the powers-that-be, simply didn't want to replace Boseman when the pain of his loss is still relatively recent...remember, these guys may all be professionals but they are human beings too.

That said, obviously I do want T'Challa to be recast at some point and I think the fact that we're heading towards a multiversal saga of some sort provides the perfect opportunity to do so in a way that doesn't erase/replace Boseman's portrayal. I frankly feel that the same needs to be done with Tony Stark as well in a few years. In the meantime, the 'core' MCU can honor Boseman's T'Challa and pass the torch to Shuri (or whoever else is taking up the mantle...M'Baku I guess it the other logical choice but less likely...Nakia or Okoye are possibilities as well I suppose).

One advantage of the Black Panther mythos is that its inherently a mantle passed from one Wakandan to another. Yes, many superhero legacies have become mantles, but Black Panther is one of the few where the transient nature of a particular incarnation is fundamentally baked into its mythos. Peter Parker will always be the original Spider-Man and THE Spider-Man. Steve Rogers will always be the first Captain America, or at least the first most significant one (I'm aware there is at least one previous Cap in the Marvel mythos). But T'Challa was just one among a long line of Black Panthers...his embodying that legacy was what made him special more than anything else. So a movie that celebrates that legacy and celebrates Wakanda (which has acquired pop-cultural appeal that goes beyond the character of T'Challa) does have a lot more going for it than, say, a movie about Gotham City without Batman (Bruce Wayne).

Eh, I see the argument about the Black Panther being a title that's passed down, but I don't think that at all negates the fact that T'Challa is the character created as the Black Panther, and the one who is meant by Black Panther when people speak of the character/hero, the vast majority of the time. It is not a perfect comparison by any means, but I'd say this argument would be somewhat like saying Buffy Summers is not important as a character in the Buffyverse, because the mantle of slayer is inherently passed down. Absolutely true, but doesn't change that the show/stories/universe grew around the portrayal of the one character, so ... you know, you could easily make a modern show that has nothing to do with Buffy, but it would be a pretty questionable decision, I think.

In the same way, for all the mythos that has developed over the mantle of Black Panther in the decades since the character was created, I don't think there's any getting around that T'Challa is the Black Panther.

I do see the problem with re-casting though, because Boseman was fantastic in the role. No easy, right answer, except permanently shelving T'Challa in the MCU, pretty sure that probably isn't it.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine