Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Static: Shadows of Dakota

Milestone Media's flagship hero, Static AKA Virgil Hawkins, is going on another adventure this fall.

During Friday's Jim Lee and Friends panel at San Diego Comic-Con, Milestone co-founder Denys Cowan and DC chief creative officer Lee announced Static: Shadows of Dakota, a six-issue limited series sequel to Static: Season One by returning creative team Vita Ayala and Nikolas Draper-Ivey.

In Season One, Static and his friends successfully stopped black market prison operations in Dakota.

Now, in Shadows of Dakota, a new threat presents itself as the mysterious Ebon goes on an underworld killing spree as he tries to find his brother. Violence is around every corner, and innocent people are getting hurt… so how is Shadow going to tackle all these fronts at once?

Extraordinary Member

Interior art from issue #1:

More character designs:

Extraordinary Member

Looks great. I love Ebon's design.

Static vs Ebon .

Art looks great!

Ebon the living shadow. Really cool design.

All-New Member

Can’t wait for this.

i really REALLY love these visuals

if DC continues to let Milestone do it's thing, I think we could be looking at what might go down as THE definitive Static run of the modern era! super happy to see Nikolas Draper-Ivey step into the writer role this time around, I'm intrigued to see how he's gonna flex his creative muscles now that he's the co-storyteller, not just the artist. I hope he was paying close attention to Vita Ayala, her writing laid an excellent foundation in season 1. extremely hyped for Ebon and I love the gravitas he's being presented with; makes be excited to see what his brother will be like if/when he's introduced. this is gonna be great!
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Super excited for this. I have a feeling that they’re gonna do Ebon justice, heck Ebon might be more dangerous than he was in the cartoon since comics are aimed at usually older audiences.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Astonishing Member

Nikolas Draper-Ivey finally getting the shot to tell his dream-pitch (as much as is allowed under his given oversight, of course) Ebon story, to the point where Ebon seems to be the narrative lead and draw point of this Season, I do wonder in what ways, if any, will Ivan's elevation here allow for Adam's own?

Ivan seems to be crusading with the goal of finding his brother, and much to-do is made about Ivan in this regard, including being much more transparent and unambiguously sympathetic in his backstory, circumstances, and the source that drives his "fearless and courageous, could be a hero if he wasn't so down for villainy to reach his objectives" attitude. But I'm curious what possible agency will this afford Adam, if any? In the show, Adam's kind of a nothing-burger in comparison to his brother. The show focused more on Ivan as an unrepentant villain to the world at large and Static in particular, to the degree that his relationship to Adam, outside the flashback where we see him carrying his brother on his back, is largely unexplored and just generally unfocused on. Adam's lack of presence in the show doesn't help. (I wish Adam had been elevated to main character status alongside Static and Gear, making them a Superhero Trio. Maybe Shebang as nice Quartet.) When you consider that Adam hasn't even been named yet, nor have we seen any concepts for the character (unless it's really that much of a spoiler, and even then)... I dunno.

Much infatuation is made over Ebon, but I hope the eventual Rubberband Man will have/be given a proper place as well. (Meaning consistent focus on Adam's individual traits and also struggles, including his disability done in a way that goes beyond a one-and-done "Very Special Episode". Let Adam be more than the guy who's dating Virgil's sister off-screen. Let Adam and Ivan have a relationship that isn't encumbered by the former's absence and non-relevance. If Ivan is to be the unapologetic bad guy, then let Adam be the unapologetic good guy.)

And on a different note, Richie wearing the exact Gear color-scheme in his outfit is such a tease!

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Vita is great but the art is definitely carrying this series
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

I can't wait
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member

Looks cool, definitely stands out from the usual stuff.

Spectacular Member

Since Nikolas Draper-Ivey is going to be co-writing this time I'll give it a try. And I guess this is going to be eight issues and not six.

The first time the art was really good, and Nikolas Draper-Ivey's art is what really got me to read it. And as it turned out the story was rather "regular" to me. Of course, I was never much of a fan of Static to begin with, not even "back in the day" or whatever. I'm not that big on teen characters - even though I can't wait to see Tiffany Fox.

But yeah, since he's co-writing this time, the combination between that and his art is enough for me. (I kind of wonder if it's going to be "free" again, with the DC Universe Infinite membership. Probably not... )

I love his manga and anime influences: things like Akira and Samurai Champloo... In live-action (Tokusatsu) I see that he liked Shin Ultraman, so he's a kindred spirit.

Anyway, some new art...

Yes, Warner Bros. should animate this.

I hope there's a third limited series and Nikolas Draper-Ivey gets to go full "mangaka" and gets to write and draw it.