Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Lawrence View Post
    Since Nikolas Draper-Ivey is going to be co-writing this time I'll give it a try. And I guess this is going to be eight issues and not six.

The first time the art was really good, and Nikolas Draper-Ivey's art is what really got me to read it. And as it turned out the story was rather "regular" to me. Of course, I was never much of a fan of Static to begin with, not even "back in the day" or whatever. I'm not that big on teen characters - even though I can't wait to see Tiffany Fox.

But yeah, since he's co-writing this time, the combination between that and his art is enough for me. (I kind of wonder if it's going to be "free" again, with the DC Universe Infinite membership. Probably not... )

I love his manga and anime influences: things like Akira and Samurai Champloo... In live-action (Tokusatsu) I see that he liked Shin Ultraman, so he's a kindred spirit.

Anyway, some new art...

Yes, Warner Bros. should animate this.

I hope there's a third limited series and Nikolas Draper-Ivey gets to go full "mangaka" and gets to write and draw it.
    Oh damn if Ebon is behind that explosion then he’s really not playing around in this universe.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Will Ebon be able to shift between human and shadow form in this version?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Will Ebon be able to shift between human and shadow form in this version?
    I wouldn't be surprised to see that he can switch freely in this book.

As it is, I'm of the opinion that him not being able to (as opposed to simply not wanting to) doesn't really make much sense or add much to his character. I like the idea of the flexibility, as well as the agency being able to control his form affords Ebon's character.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see that he can switch freely in this book.

As it is, I'm of the opinion that him not being able to (as opposed to simply not wanting to) doesn't really make much sense or add much to his character. I like the idea of the flexibility, as well as the agency being able to control his form affords Ebon's character.
    I assume that was to emphasize that Ebon has no other life than being a gangbanger especially in the final episode where he attributes his normal human form to weakness and desperately desires his powers back to maintain his strength. I guess it also helps that he is a pretty one-note guy and doesn't really express any aspirations or hopes other than supervillainy.

Also very excited for this. First volume was fun and now that the set-up is out of way we can get even more kickass stuff in short order. Can't wait to see Ebon stomping house.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 07-29-2022 at 03:28 AM.

Honestly I kind of prefer Ebon being in his shadow form 100% of the time.

I like the idea of a progression with regards to his shadow form. him being stuck in that form could be an interesting piece of pathos for him earlier on but it would be awesome if as he grows more comfortable and natural in his dark villainous nature he can freely choose when to change but ultimately default to his shadow form as a show of power. the episode where the bang babies lost their powers was a pivotal defining episode for Ebon and Hotstreak as iconic villains; Ebon was really defined to me by that choice. i don't think we get that if he can just control it off rip, and I don't think him just being stuck in it will be enough either. If Hotstreak is the evil Bakugo to Virgil's Midoriya, then Ebon should be the Shigaraki to them all.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I assume that was to emphasize that Ebon has no other life than being a gangbanger especially in the final episode where he attributes his normal human form to weakness and desperately desires his powers back to maintain his strength. I guess it also helps that he is a pretty one-note guy and doesn't really express any aspirations or hopes other than supervillainy.

Also very excited for this. First volume was fun and now that the set-up is out of way we can get even more kickass stuff in short order. Can't wait to see Ebon stomping house.
    In this case, I feel that could have been done in the cartoon while still letting him have the ability to freely change his form, with the enhanced nuance of him simply choosing to never do so due to the pride and ego and self-worth issues inherent in him feeling himself to be superior in his Ebon form and inferior otherwise. Would have also laid forth a nice contrast to Talon/Teresa (so her development wouldn't have been so last-minute), who can't change forms but would want to and even abandon this life of villainy she's only in because she feels she has no choice but to be given the circumstance of her non-human expression of her Bang Baby powers.

And as for cartoon Ebon's one-note-ness, yeah, he was pretty one-note in practice, particularly with the show's lack of emphasis or acknowledgement of Ivan's relationship with Adam (and vice versa). I'm pretty sure, though, that Nikolas Draper-Ivey is very much averting that in his depiction of Ivan/Ebon here (regardless of whatever role Adam will actually play with Ebon's Shadows of Dakota character and story). Aside from being visually more interesting for Ebon/Ivan to be able to do so, I think freely-controlled transformations will be one of the reasons NDI's take on Ebon will be more nuanced and deep while still going hard in the way his cartoon-self is known (and relished) for.

I know for sure I'll still read him in Gary Sturgis' voice...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know for sure I'll still read him in Gary Sturgis' voice...
    Hopefully they’ll bring him back to play Ebon if they do any new animated Static projects.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Glad it looks so nice. but the story? but the story--
    sigh... guess it's wait, hope, and see.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

This series has the best artwork I've seen out of all the DC comics I've read. I hope some hire up at DC notices this and green lights another Static Shock movie or tv show.

Can't wait to see what they do with Ebon.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    i really REALLY love these visuals

if DC continues to let Milestone do it's thing, I think we could be looking at what might go down as THE definitive Static run of the modern era! super happy to see Nikolas Draper-Ivey step into the writer role this time around, I'm intrigued to see how he's gonna flex his creative muscles now that he's the co-storyteller, not just the artist. I hope he was paying close attention to Vita Ayala, her writing laid an excellent foundation in season 1. extremely hyped for Ebon and I love the gravitas he's being presented with; makes be excited to see what his brother will be like if/when he's introduced. this is gonna be great!
    Olivier Coipel is a MASTER. This art is OUTSTANDING.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

The art looks great and I'm glad to see Ebon again!
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Astonishing Member

Nikolas Draper-Ivey has mentioned a few times that one of his ideals/goals is to make a work that'll scream "Animate me, now!"; from the looks of this, since he's going even harder on the Anime-influenced art style, I think he's succeeding.