View Poll Results: Should Warners just move on from Cavill?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they should move on and find someone else

20 57.14%
  • No, sit down with him and work this out

11 31.43%
  • Don't care.

4 11.43%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

No! Cavill absolutely deserves another shot. He seems really keen on doing it, too.

WB just need to push hard on actually getting movies made, a problem they've had with DC properties for decades. They also need to pick a direction, be clear in letting the fans know what that direct is, and go with it.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

WBD has moved on. Cavill is over and Superman is on the indefinite backburner at WBD. The studio does not need a Superman franchise that is going to probably break even when they have hugely successful franchises like Batman WW, Joker, Aquaman and likely BA. Shazam 2 could be huge as well.

Cavill is disliked at WB for good reasons and the new regime knows his history. I doubt there have been any negotiations going on with Cavill for a long time. Certainly not since the merger. I also think he started the SDCC rumor as an FU to WBD. No way Zaslov would touch Cavill with a ten-foot poll. On top of which his Superman is disliked by many fans. Way too risky to bring him back.

The new DC films head, once announced, should make one of their first announcements the firing of Cavill. Zaslov knows Cavill is dragging things down in terms of perceptions of WBD and the cord must be officially cut.

BTW, the dirty little secret is that Cavill really does not have a big fanbase among Superman fans. He has a small vocal group that make it seem like he has support for being Superman. The irony is his fans that are not Superman fans don't want him playing Superman as they feel it constrains his acting skills and potential.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 07-29-2022 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I'm tempted to say that Warner should just move on from doing Superman films altogther.
    Yup, that is the plan. WBD/Zaslov are laser focused on their hot franchises and fully exploiting them. Superman is not one of those franchises. After things are running on all cylinders at DC films, they may take a chance with the Black Superman film but that is likely years off.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think they pretty much have. If they wanted Cavill back, they'd have him back already.

Sadly, I think it is more like WE need to move on from wanting him back.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey2 View Post
    Cavill is disliked at WB for good reasons and the new regime knows his history. I doubt there have been any negotiations going on with Cavill for a long time. Certainly not since the merger. I also think he started the SDCC rumor as an FU to WBD. No way Zaslov would touch Cavill with a ten-foot poll. On top of which his Superman is disliked by many fans. Way too risky to bring him back.
    Disliked for good reasons???? Tell me these reasons.

BANNED

Made these a few years ago to support my opinion that Cavill is wrong for the role. He was fine as the deconstructed version of Superman, NotSoSuperman, but has not and never will be the iconic Superman.

cavillquote.jpg

In contrast...

Reevequote.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I heard a rumor that the offer was for two cameos (Shazam and Black Adam), two supporting roles (Supergirl and the JL reboot), and then he’d get a solo. I don’t know if Hamada would have ever given him another shot, but Zaslav likely would have given his expressed interest in the Superman IP. After doing all those cameos and being rehabilitated they’d probably be confident enough to give him a solo. But Cavill wants a solo up front and refuses to do anything unless he gets it. If true my guess is that WB is trying to get him to agree to do at least one cameo and play support for Supergirl before he gets another solo, and Cavill just flat out isn’t interested.
    I dunno. Campea who has sources at WB (don't they all) has not heard of any negotiations between WBD and Cavill since the merger. And Campea pretty much shot down the rumor a while back that Zaslov was interested in bringing Cavill back. Believe me he would love it to have been true but nada. Campea has been right on a lot of WB stuff and just recently said Cavill isn't coming back. Again, he is a huge Cavill fan and has a large photo of Cavill/Supes in his set's background. At the same time, he's hinted that WB wants Batman/Batfleck back in the DCEU which seems to be coming to fruition.

The fact that the Batfleck being in Aquaman2 leaked about a year before the film comes out (and Batfleck being in Aquaman is lots bigger than Cavill doing a BA cameo) just adds finality to Cavill not appearing in BA. You watch, when BA comes out and there is no Cavill some will argue that Cavill will do a cameo in another DC film. This fan dance between WBD and Cavill is hurting WBD's image. Look at what happened at SDCC. Notice that Superman, faceless or not, does not appear in the Shazam 2 trailer which features Bats and other jl members which implies that not only is Cavill not retuning, but Superman doesn't exist in the DCEU as was the plan pre-merger and now maybe WBD is going with that plan? Anyway, WBD needs to fire Cavill ASAP which, guessing, will be one of the first things the new head of DC films does. WBD absolutely needs to clear the deck and move on from Cavill. BTW, Alan Horn returning to WBD as an advisor does not bide well either. Horn is not a Superman fan and said during the trial over the rights that he doubted the financial viability of the Superman film franchise.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 07-29-2022 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Brent View Post
    Made these a few years ago to support my opinion that Cavill is wrong for the role. He was fine as the deconstructed version of Superman, NotSoSuperman, but has not and never will be the iconic Superman.

cavillquote.jpg

In contrast...

Reevequote.jpg
    Tyler Hoechlin's great Superman/Clark performance makes Cavill's inappositeness for the role all the more evident. Cavill is not the Superman of our generation (sorry Johnson) but Tyler is. Unfortunate that Tyler did not get to play Superman on the big screen. I recently watched the Snyder extended cut and Cavill basically goes around grimacing through most of the film. Just as he did in MOS. No growth in his performance at all. His was a total miscast which is not to say he can't perform decently in other roles but even good actors have roles they are not meant for. Amy Adams is an excellent actress, but she too was somewhat miscast as Lois.

So, apart from all the baggage Cavill carries around as pertains to Superman, he is simply wrong for the role. This surely is not lost on Zaslov/WBD. There is a reason why the WBD would only offer him cameos. To be fair, Cavill has a charm in interviews, but that presence never carried over to his Superman performance. Neither Snyder nor Whedon could get it out of him.
    Last edited by Jeffrey2; 07-29-2022 at 09:15 AM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Whatever the precise continuity of the next couple of years of DC movies will be, it will have truly started with Cavill and MOS. I'd much prefer having them give us at least one commercially and critically successful Superman film with him in it. Personally I think the DCEU needs a hard reboot in the near future anyway but there's no reason Cavill can't have a movie first. Cavill, Momoa, and Wonder Woman can bow out at roughly the same time.

I think Cavill is a fine fit for the role, fitter than he's been allowed to show, and the hype would be huge.

I rather think it's Cavill should give up on WB, not the other way around.

The man was good, and could have been an incredible Superman if he had been given stronger material to work with. He wanted more creative control and money, and I don't blame him for wanting either after WB made a dog's dinner of things. Between WB, who f*ck up almost every DC film they make, and the guy who's an actual fan and almost missed the callback because he was playing WoW, I'll side with the nerd.

If WB had given Cavill the creative control he wanted, odds are the sequel wouldn't have been taken over by Batman. And y'all really think *Cavill* was the problem?

However, I figure the DCEU has proven to be a failure outside of a couple bright spots, and should be ditched. Wrap up the trilogies that're worth wrapping up, and then start fresh. No Crisis in-movie reboot like Flash is supposedly doing, just dump everything and pretend it never happened. And doing that properly means recasting. Which sucks, because Cavill deserves a chance to play the kind of Superman we want and he's capable of, but keeping him in the role isn't worth keeping the DCEU or anything attached to it.

Burn it all to the ground and start fresh.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I rather think it's Cavill should give up on WB, not the other way around.

The man was good, and could have been an incredible Superman if he had been given stronger material to work with. He wanted more creative control and money, and I don't blame him for wanting either after WB made a dog's dinner of things. Between WB, who f*ck up almost every DC film they make, and the guy who's an actual fan and almost missed the callback because he was playing WoW, I'll side with the nerd.

If WB had given Cavill the creative control he wanted, odds are the sequel wouldn't have been taken over by Batman. And y'all really think *Cavill* was the problem?

However, I figure the DCEU has proven to be a failure outside of a couple bright spots, and should be ditched. Wrap up the trilogies that're worth wrapping up, and then start fresh. No Crisis in-movie reboot like Flash is supposedly doing, just dump everything and pretend it never happened. And doing that properly means recasting. Which sucks, because Cavill deserves a chance to play the kind of Superman we want and he's capable of, but keeping him in the role isn't worth keeping the DCEU or anything attached to it.

Burn it all to the ground and start fresh.
    The really dumb thing is that they’re apparently “building” to a reboot anyway, with Crisis. Amazing how the film continuity is going to be as convoluted as the comics.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The really dumb thing is that they’re apparently “building” to a reboot anyway, with Crisis. Amazing how the film continuity is going to be as convoluted as the comics.
    At this point I don't expect any of WB's plans to remain intact. Whatever films they have that're almost finished will likely still hit theaters, but anything in the planning or development stages is likely dead already. Laslov will try to find his Kevin Fiege and that person will decide where to take things, which I pray to the gods isn't anywhere close to whatever nonsense WB had in mind.

But hey, if they do go through with stuff like a Crisis film? More money that gets to stay in my pocket.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I will not put any actor ahead in priority over SUPERMAN. It's about Superman.

NOT Cavill.

So I don't care if they move on which they should have done the moment it became clear that he would exploit a franchise hardship by compounding it to play hardball for dollars.

He is not more important than SUPERMAN. He is not singular in his ability to portray Supes. In fact there are people who have MORE than just the hotness. Cavill is a nice looking guy but that is only one tiny part of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I will not put any actor ahead in priority over SUPERMAN. It's about Superman.

NOT Cavill.

So I don't care if they move on which they should have done the moment it became clear that he would exploit a franchise hardship by compounding it to play hardball for dollars.

He is not more important than SUPERMAN. He is not singular in his ability to portray Supes. In fact there are people who have MORE than just the hotness. Cavill is a nice looking guy but that is only one tiny part of the equation.
    Bingo. Cavill has those pretty boy looks but it takes more. Tyler Hoecklin is not near as pretty but his Superman/Clark blows Cavill out of the water.

I heard a rumor that the offer was for two cameos (Shazam and Black Adam), two supporting roles (Supergirl and the JL reboot), and then he’d get a solo. I don’t know if Hamada would have ever given him another shot, but Zaslav likely would have given his expressed interest in the Superman IP. After doing all those cameos and being rehabilitated they’d probably be confident enough to give him a solo. But Cavill wants a solo up front and refuses to do anything unless he gets it. If true my guess is that WB is trying to get him to agree to do at least one cameo and play support for Supergirl before he gets another solo, and Cavill just flat out isn’t interested.
    I'm honest good for him. We just need a reboot