View Poll Results: Should Warners just move on from Cavill?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they should move on and find someone else

20 57.14%
  • No, sit down with him and work this out

11 31.43%
  • Don't care.

4 11.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Should Warners just give up on Cavill?

So this years SDCC was a bust in terms of finding out if Cavill will come back as Superman. Given that, is it time for Warners to just move on? Should they call his bluff and just move on without him? We're nearly ten years out from the first MOS with no sequel on the horizon. Is it time to just move on? Recast or even reboot?
    Assassinate Putin!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm tempted to say that Warner should just move on from doing Superman films altogther.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Yes. Nothing against Cavill but you gotta keep the line moving. If WB thinks he's the problem, then find someone who will play ball with them.

The only good thing about no Superman movies being made is that there are no bad Superman movies being made, but I'm not interested in this kind of conservative approach at this time. Get with the program.

Re member

If DC needs to move on from things we didn’t find out much about at SDCC then there’s a lot of moving on in store.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

I liked Cavill as Superman. I think the DCU problems go WAYYYYYY deeper than the actor, who IMO has been scapegoated from the start.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Yes. Nothing against Cavill but you gotta keep the line moving. If WB thinks he's the problem, then find someone who will play ball with them.

The only good thing about no Superman movies being made is that there are no bad Superman movies being made, but I'm not interested in this kind of conservative approach at this time. Get with the program.
    Yeah, I'm partially here. On the one hand, I respect that he wants the character to be done justice (by his own criteria, mind) but it's getting ridiculous. We're getting Superman replaced during the biggest boom in superhero films and have had two solo films in nearly four decades. That's unreal for a character as beloved and recognized as Superman, and getting blocked by an actor for this long is pretty bad. Something has to change, and frankly I don't love Cavill enough to say nobody else can be Superman.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yes.

I can't blame him considering he seems very attached to the character, probably has a better idea of what works with the character than at least the previous people in charge, and was in films that got mixed-to-poor receptions, so he took a lot of heat for stuff that wasn't even his call just by virtue of being the face. And was also a dream job that ideally would have been his big break (kind of still was, but obviously way more shaky than he could have imagined).

Him demanding his own film and holding up the works is petty af, and while again I can't blame him and would otherwise be rooting for him, it means we're getting no movement on the live action film front. If he won't budge, just drop him. While I liked him well enough and think a good Superman film with him as the lead would be a missed opportunity, he still wouldn't be impossible to replace either.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yes.

I can't blame him considering he seems very attached to the character, probably has a better idea of what works with the character than at least the previous people in charge, and was in films that got mixed-to-poor receptions, so he took a lot of heat for stuff that wasn't even his call just by virtue of being the face. And was also a dream job that ideally would have been his big break (kind of still was, but obviously way more shaky than he could have imagined).

Him demanding his own film and holding up the works is petty af, and while again I can't blame him and would otherwise be rooting for him, it means we're getting no movement on the live action film front. If he won't budge, just drop him. While I liked him well enough and think a good Superman film with him as the lead would be a missed opportunity, he still wouldn't be impossible to replace either.

I get that this is dragging on WAAAAAY too long, but.. petty? We're talking about a company who botched not one but *two* Superman reboots by putting the wrong people in charge and having no vision of their own (besides, in one case, "make it like the Batman movie that made money") And WB just wanted him for Cameos/etc, which means likely no character growth for Superman on any substantial level, which is what the character needs at this point. Even if we get a new actor - which I'm fine with - WB (as I just said) doesn't exactly have an amazing track record. I don't blame him for wanting to assert a sense of vision (if he's fighting to the degree he seems to be, he must have a vision/passion on some level) to the direction of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, I'm partially here. On the one hand, I respect that he wants the character to be done justice (by his own criteria, mind) but it's getting ridiculous. We're getting Superman replaced during the biggest boom in superhero films and have had two solo films in nearly four decades. That's unreal for a character as beloved and recognized as Superman, and getting blocked by an actor for this long is pretty bad.
    It is ridiculous, but this is why I blame WB: if those idiots had a solid idea, they'd be going with it by now. The fact that it's been so long with no movement shows that they really don't. As I said above, we'll see if Zazlav is any different pretty soon - but given that the people in charge when "Superman Lives!" and SR were being made was not remotely the same as the Snyder era, I'm only half-hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I don't love Cavill enough to say nobody else can be Superman.
    This is where I am, even though I've been defending Cavill lately. I want something to happen with Superman, and if it's him - great; if not - great. I'll be sad for him the same way I've been sad for Routh not getting a good shot at a solid Superman, but still - certainly not enough to say it's him or nothing.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I think a full on reboot a la Batman is needed with a younger actor. That guy from Euphoria would be a nice cast. And for the love of God, it's not that hard to do a Superman movie or it shouldn't be.

I don't care at this point.

But I have a question, would people like Superman making only cameo appearances? Because as I understand thats what we would have if Cavill wasn't "petty".

Astonishing Member

I'd love a Superman movie with Henry in the title role, but there is little chance of that on the horizon. Since he's going to be in a nursing home by the time WB gets an idea might as well just throw in the towel and admit he's not getting that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't care at this point.

But I have a question, would people like Superman making only cameo appearances? Because as I understand thats what we would have if Cavill wasn't "petty".
    I heard a rumor that the offer was for two cameos (Shazam and Black Adam), two supporting roles (Supergirl and the JL reboot), and then he’d get a solo. I don’t know if Hamada would have ever given him another shot, but Zaslav likely would have given his expressed interest in the Superman IP. After doing all those cameos and being rehabilitated they’d probably be confident enough to give him a solo. But Cavill wants a solo up front and refuses to do anything unless he gets it. If true my guess is that WB is trying to get him to agree to do at least one cameo and play support for Supergirl before he gets another solo, and Cavill just flat out isn’t interested.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I say bring Nic Cage in and have him and Keaton do a World's Finest: Grumpy Old Men Edition!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I heard a rumor that the offer was for two cameos (Shazam and Black Adam), two supporting roles (Supergirl and the JL reboot), and then he’d get a solo. I don’t know if Hamada would have ever given him another shot, but Zaslav likely would have given his expressed interest in the Superman IP. After doing all those cameos and being rehabilitated they’d probably be confident enough to give him a solo. But Cavill wants a solo up front and refuses to do anything unless he gets it. If true my guess is that WB is trying to get him to agree to do at least one cameo and play support for Supergirl before he gets another solo, and Cavill just flat out isn’t interested.
    If that's the case, I'd bet that the solo was conditional. And with movie studios, it's hard to go on "hopefully" if you really want it - just like you always negotiate for a percentage of the "gross," not the "net" - since studios never have a "net profit" for the actors when that happens. I can't imagine him not taking it if he was guaranteed a solo film.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I say bring Nic Cage in and have him and Keaton do a World's Finest: Grumpy Old Men Edition!
    HA! You know what?.... I'd watch it. lol
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    I liked Cavill as Superman. I think the DCU problems go WAYYYYYY deeper than the actor, who IMO has been scapegoated from the start.
    Yep, Cavill is still my favourite Superman and I don't think he's done anything to warrant replacement.. There's just been way too much drama with DC movies if we're talking problem actors,why not zero in on Amber Heard and Ezra Miller? (who are giving DCEU real bad press.)