Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I wonder how much they'll change the first books story so it is not the exact plot of Star Wars.
    Well, the tropes from Star Wars have been pretty repeated at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    It is Not even the first time Dragons are ripping off Star Wars. TSR Dragonlance novels were published in the 80s. DC did the comics Adaption. Yay, Dragonlance. BOO, eragon. Sorry rage typing on my Phone.
    Wait. How exactly is Dragonlance like Star Wars in any way?

I wonder how much they'll change the first books story so it is not the exact plot of Star Wars.
    I think the comparison is overrated. It's not the exact plot.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Wait. How exactly is Dragonlance like Star Wars in any way?
    The first Margaret Weiss/Tracy Hickman novel (Dragons of Autumn Twilight?) is basically A New Hope with Fantasy instead of Space Opera.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I think the comparison is overrated. It's not the exact plot.
    I agree.

Herbert was a major literary influence on Paolini. So if anything, it's closer to Dune and if you've read Dune, well ... That's one of the big influences for Lucas for Star Wars.

He is heavily influenced by Jordan and Sanderson as well. Those influences show up later in the series. He's a Whovian so there's some Who references in his writings. He cites E.R. Edison and Bruce Coville as the "specific" inspiration for Eragon.

It is rife for adaptations.

He's also very open about his influences which is why I don't get the flack.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 07-27-2022 at 01:38 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Millions of stories follow the Star Wars template, because the Star Wars template is basically the Hero's Journey story that's the basis for literature going back to the Epic of Gilgamesh.

There are no original plots, only original stories hung on those plots.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, the tropes from Star Wars have been pretty repeated at this point...
    Yeah but the first book isn't just The Monomyth similar, its like beat for beat. Brom is Obi-Wan, Murtagh is Han, etc.

He even lives with his uncle and has a blue sword.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I’ll be honest, and say that while I think the “rip off” nature of the story *is* a real criticism, it’s actually not that derivative of Star Wars or LOTR as much as the classic criticism went.

I would add, though, that I liked the first book in high school, but hated the second book. I hope that if they get to that part of the story, they critically examine it so that I don’t come away hating the elevens and Eragon himself.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Yeah but the first book isn't just The Monomyth similar, its like beat for beat. Brom is Obi-Wan, Murtagh is Han, etc.

He even lives with his uncle and has a blue sword.
    Murtagh is his half brother and the sword is red (and belongs to his brother). Brom is Eragon's father.

Swords match the Rider's dragons, Eragon makes his blue sword in book 3 (in a beautifully written passage BTW).

It's similar, sure, not beat for beat. Big moments and setup, are similar in book one. The minutiae... Not so much.

It's kind of like saying The Eye of the World is a rip off of LotR. It is similar and Jordan intended it as a homage to Tolkien. The WoT series deviates drastically. Eragon is a homage to Herbert and Star Wars but deviates as Inheritance goes on.

If you're going off the movie, it butchered the book massively.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 07-28-2022 at 01:15 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I haven't tried to read them, but aren't the Eragon books like... famously bad?

Though if the concept is solid, I suppose a talented writing and production team can get something worthwhile out of just about anything.
    If the Eragon books are as "famously bad" as you claim how did it develop a big following of fans?!?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Probably the same way many other bad books develop big followings of fans.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    If the Eragon books are as "famously bad" as you claim how did it develop a big following of fans?!?
    The following are young adults so it's understandable that a fantastical story about dragon would be appealing but I'm sure the books/stories are still salvageable if adapted well.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough