Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

AI could match whatever is popular at a time, especially as technology advances.
    But how will new things become popular if AI is just mimicking old things.

I am reminded how painting was seen as dying out because of photography? And yet....
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

How "new" are new things? Is there anything new under the sun, especially when you're talking about popular art? Disney makes embarrassing money pumping out formulaic (but fun) superhero movies, Arianna Grande and other popular singers are nearly indistinguishable from studio manufactured pop singers of previous generations, and most of internet/meme culture is recycling old ideas in different ways. Do we not think AI would eventually (and probably soon) be able to figure out patterns in what the audience (broad or targeted) wants and package it in such a way as to be pleasing?

I guess it depends on how you view humanity and what art means. If you think we're all beings made of stardust and eternal souls, able to tap into the truths of the universe, or the like then yes I can see not thinking machines would be able to use pattern recognition and trial/error to come up with moving art because we're special. If (like me) you think human beings are capable of great works of art and imagination but largely are creatures who follow patterns and are products of their environment, and while complicated are at the end of the day biological machines with preferences that are capable of being mapped out and catered to.

It's probably scary for artists to think about, because while obviously computers are capable of doing things in mathematics or data collection that would be impossible for human beings we would at least like to think of ourselves as more able to think outside of the box. And we are, for now. But if computers/AI are eventually able to craft art in a way that's indistinguishable from human art it's likely they'll be much better at it than we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    But how will new things become popular if AI is just mimicking old things.

I am reminded how painting was seen as dying out because of photography? And yet....
    Hmm, there are interesting questions here. I do think AI is mainly going to be seen as a tool with humans making the final decision, but it is also possible that I'm underestimating potential increases in technology in the decades again.

AI might not be able to create new things, but they can make the right old things popular again, potentially taking it into new directions.

The point on painting gets to something else. Is it conceivable for an AI to be so advanced as to create a medium?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I prefer computer art that doesn’t try to mimick what can be done by a human hand. The artwork has kept its mechanical, cold flavour:

by Eolake Stobblehouse
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe