Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Looking for help with my Wonder Woman (2017) ESL Reader adaptation

Hi guys. I'm an ESL teacher and I use ESL readers to teach my students English. Sometimes, I use ESL adaptations of popular movies to make it more exciting. Unfortunately, they stopped making ESL movie adaptations about a decade ago for the DC movies. The last ones I've found were Batman Begins and Superman Returns (which is surprisingly better than the theatrical cut because it includes details the movie absolutely needed).

So, as I know a lot of my students are huge Wonder Woman fans, I've taken it upon myself to make my own ESL Reader adaptation of the first Wonder Woman movie. If anyone has the time or interest, I'd appreciate it if you could take a look and let me know if I've missed anything important or if something doesn't work for you and could be tweaked to improve it.

Some things you should know before reading:

Keep in mind that this is an ESL Reader, so the vocabulary and sentences will be very simplified. It's meant to be easily understood by readers with limited understanding of the English language, so it won't be the most thrilling prose you've ever read

I've completely removed the dumb Daddy Zeus reveal from the third act as I think it's a terrible idea. Your mileage may vary, but that's not something I want included and I'll be showing my students a fan edit of the film that omits all that stuff as well, and it's a better film as a result.

It can't be too long. Each chapter should cover about ten to twenty minutes of the movie and take around that time to read as well.

Any suggestions you may have are appreciated.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 11-17-2023 at 01:23 AM.

Thanks for sharing, Bored. I work with ESL students at my own job so I know these can be pretty helpful.

Seems mostly good though a scene I noticed missing is when Diana and Steve are about to leave she does have one final confrontation with Hippolyta. I'm also not sure if WW's armor is ever stated to have been Hippolyta's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I've completely removed the dumb Daddy Zeus reveal from the third act as I think it's a terrible idea. Your mileage may vary, but that's not something I want included and I'll be showing my students a fan edit of the film that omits all that stuff as well, and it's a better film as a result.

It can't be too long. Each chapter should cover about ten to twenty minutes of the movie and take around that time to read as well.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Any suggestions you may have are appreciated.
    Ah, finally. Some student indoctrination I can get behind!
    Last edited by Gaius; 07-27-2022 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Bored. I work with ESL students at my own job so I know these can be pretty helpful.

Seems mostly good though a scene I noticed missing is when Diana and Steve are about to leave she does have one final confrontation with Hippolyta. I'm also not sure if WW's armor is ever stated to have been Hippolyta's.

Ah, finally. Some student indoctrination I can get behind!
    Good thinking. I wasn't sure if omitting Diana and Hippolyta's farewell was the right move, so I'm glad you're of the same mind. I'll write up that conversation. Don't know how I'm going to do that without the fairly complex word of "deserve" but I'll see what I can do. Thanks!

I understand your decision to delete the Zeus daddy thing, but didn't you think about giving an explanation of why she is the God Killer, and where does her power come from?
    You also don't refer to how Diana spares Dr. Poison's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    I understand your decision to delete the Zeus daddy thing, but didn't you think about giving an explanation of why she is the God Killer, and where does her power come from?
    You also don't refer to how Diana spares Dr. Poison's life.
    Doctor Poison isn't in the end of the fan edit of the movie I'm using, so I did the same in this adaptation. The fan editor, understandably I think, removed a lot of her character as he felt she fell into the trope of depicting people with disabilities as becoming villains because of their disability. While I don't necessarily agree that the film does that with Doctor Poison, it's the reason why she's nowhere to be seen after Steve's conversation with her.

If others are interested in using my ESL Reader adaptation of WW, I could certainly tweak the final chapters to include Dr. Poison and elaborate further on the whole God-Killer thing, but I don't think it's needed for the version of the film I'll be showing my students. All they need to know is that Ares thinks Diana is like him, a killer of gods.