Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default ASM 6 (#900) Discussion

I am speechless.
    I don't really know what to say. I'm just sad about the state of Spider-Man right now.
    This is awful. Worse, it's embarassing to read. Every character acts like it's a parody. The Birthday scene is terrible, it isn't funny and it feels completely out of place. Felicia being mad at Bobbi makes no sense considering the last 10 years of stories. Flash acts like a jerk for no reason. The Sinister Six are directly taken from the '60s, as if the characters never aged or evolved. The whole "Living Brain" thing is laughable. Spidey's monologue about "responsibility" is so didactic and explicit it sounds ridiculous. And his final kiss with Felicia is pointless, out of context and pathetic considering Spencer's run and the MJ situation.
    I have never felt so downcast and embittered by a Spider-Man comic (ok, Sins Past and One More Day take the cake). This is terrible. It looks like something a 14 years old with no knowledge of continuity would write. I am lost for words.

Quote Originally Posted by federicodettofred View Post
    I am speechless.
    I don't really know what to say. I'm just sad about the state of Spider-Man right now.
    This is awful. Worse, it's embarassing to read. Every character acts like it's a parody. The Birthday scene is terrible, it isn't funny and it feels completely out of place. Felicia being mad at Bobbi makes no sense considering the last 10 years of stories. Flash acts like a jerk for no reason. The Sinister Six are directly taken from the '60s, as if the characters never aged or evolved. The whole "Living Brain" thing is laughable. Spidey's monologue about "responsibility" is so didactic and explicit it sounds ridiculous. And his final kiss with Felicia is pointless, out of context and pathetic considering Spencer's run and the MJ situation.
    I have never felt so downcast and embittered by a Spider-Man comic (ok, Sins Past and One More Day take the cake). This is terrible. It looks like something a 14 years old with no knowledge of continuity would write. I am lost for words.
    It wasn’t that bad but I doubt it will be remembered in a couple of years.

The lack of MJ was disappointing but predictable. If you ask Marvel they will say something akin to “we got big stuff coming up for her”. If you ask me “they just don’t care. MJ will be in some future stories sure but don’t expect anything. MJ is mostly here for outrage these days.”.

This story feels like empty calories. Good art. Nostalgia factor. With the exception of MJ we have most of the famous faces. There just isn’t anything that makes you feel anything that lasts. Good for this weeks Spider-man fix if that is your thing.

This was suppose to be an anniversary issue?

BANNED

As much as I dislike Slott, 600, 700 and 800 all felt like impactful event stories that built on Spidey's future regardless of how you felt about Ock, May and Jay, or Superior's foreshadowing and genesis. Flash had more dignity in 800 with his heroic sacrifice there than being the gimp in distress he is here. And Felicia macking on Peter and fangirling over him doesn't even gel with how Wells wrote her two issues ago.

It's like this is the first script Wells ever wrote about Spider-Man as a teenager and used it here

Slott's back-up strip was pretty fun. He's always at his best when dealing with the past of Spidey.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 07-27-2022 at 12:16 PM.

Astonishing Member

This could have been fine as an annual or a fun mini. As a milestone issue? Complete failure.

Astonishing Member

Anyone curious why TF is Vin Gonzalez, doing there despite the crap he pull to Harry and Stanley, being part of the Goblin cult. Harry tased him. Wells writtened that part of 647.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I know everyone is going to yell at Wells for this being a lackluster issue but honestly more and more it's becoming apparent to me that Nick Lowe doesn't seem like he has a clear vision of where he wants the "Spider-Office" to go. I noticed this in hindsight with Spencer where he apparently gave him the green light to do whatever he wanted, but then pulled the plug in the 11th hour when the undoing of the Mephisto deal was the endgame. Beyond was an inconsistent mess where the only goal was to make Ben a villain.

And now here, it really comes off like they've undercut the main book by putting so much marketing behind the triumphant return of Slott writing the next big Spider-Man-line event and launching a new satellite title. And I'm not even trying to complain about Slott here, but you think a lot of this would be spinning out of the main book.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    This could have been fine as an annual or a fun mini. As a milestone issue? Complete failure.
    As a story itself it's garbage. The writing is terrible, the characters look like parodies. It could have been ASM 8244891, it would have been bad anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I know everyone is going to yell at Wells for this being a lackluster issue but honestly more and more it's becoming apparent to me that Nick Lowe doesn't seem like he has a clear vision of where he wants the "Spider-Office" to go. I noticed this in hindsight with Spencer where he apparently gave him the green light to do whatever he wanted, but then pulled the plug in the 11th hour when the undoing of the Mephisto deal was the endgame. Beyond was an inconsistent mess where the only goal was to make Ben a villain.

And now here, it really comes off like they've undercut the main book by putting so much marketing behind the triumphant return of Slott writing the next big Spider-Man-line event and launching a new satellite title. And I'm not even trying to complain about Slott here, but you think a lot of this would be spinning out of the main book.
    Yes Nick Lowe is sweating now. Normally I would say that he might be in trouble but with marvel you are never sure. He might get promoted.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Yes Nick Lowe is sweating now. Normally I would say that he might be in trouble but with marvel you are never sure. He might get promoted.
    People tend to fall upwards in Marvel

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    People tend to fall upwards in Marvel
    Or moved to another position in the company

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Or moved to another position in the company
    Move him to crossovers with outside intellectual properties, specializing in stuffed toys. I would love to see a Chasm vs the Carebears crossover. Let them save Ben with hugs.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Move him to crossovers with outside intellectual properties, specializing in stuffed toys. I would love to see a Chasm vs the Carebears crossover. Let them save Ben with hugs.
    If Lowe is involved Chasm would get more traumatized from the hugs and become VOID

Astonishing Member

When Spencer first shown Betty, she was heavily pregnant and after 6 months. she still pregnant. her belly kinda smaller but its Mcguinness choice.

Quote Originally Posted by federicodettofred View Post
    I am speechless.
    Honestly...yeah, I agree with this. This feels like it was written by someone with a cliff notes version of the last few years of Spidey. I don't mind Peter and Felicia, but as I said elsewhere, there was absolutely no lead up to it. It's there for shock value and that's a disservice to both characters. The Sinister Six.....good lord. I mean, even post Superior, Otto isn't this stereotypically villianish. And isn't Kraven dead??

Hell, the only person that seems to be in character is Jonah. And I only say that because it seems writers really don't know which side of Jonah they want to portray. Compare how he is in Silk vs Main Spider-books.

I though things would be looking up after last issue, but no...this run has a pretty complete disregard for everything that came before it.