Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

This run is the drizzling shits and this issue reaffirms why I'm dropping the book now. A fat fail for an anniversary issue. What makes this even worse? It's Spider-Man's 60th Anniversary and he's having a **** birthday. Spidey and the readers deserve better.

I'm really curious. How in the holy hell did Zeb Wells get the job of writing Spider-Man full time? What a lame issue. This is supposed to be issue Amazing Spider-Man 900, not issue 912. It just felt bland and basic. Spencer got the ball moving in getting Spider-Man where he needed to be, and Spencer doesn't take one step backwards, but he actually takes ten. Slott wasn't perfect, but man he was much better than this. Hurry up and get Wells off this book. It comes off a a bad joke at this point.

Also, when did Ed McGuineness's art start looking like Ryan Ottely's art? Still looks great, but man it now seems a lot different.

Incredible Member

I read that kiss as a happy birthday mr president kiss. It’s not going anywhere further. The fact that’s the most debatable conversation says a lot.

Astonishing Member

I don't think this run has been offensively bad or anything (although the MJ breakup is very frustrating and tedious), but it's just so painfully bland. That first arc felt so flat to me. I always just go, "That's it?" after reading it now. I really wonder how much editorial hamstrings these writers because it feels like we constantly get mediocre stories from such a rich character. I just think of Zdarsky saying how he would never do it and how Spencer apparently had his pretty popular run derailed by editorial and I just wonder if any writer can do all that much with editorial micromanaging choking the life out of the property.

I dunno I thought it was a fun pretty accessible done-in-one kinda story, but some of the flippancy of character moments was irksome. Flash's reunion with Peter after dying 100 issues ago wasn't a good moment to be cheeky imo. Betty being less pregnant more than 6 months later is a baffling oversight. The flippant continuity moment I did enjoy was Sandman repeatedly mentioning how he was just a beach. Most of the supporting cast moments were nice, though. I think the thing that's weird is so far it's a bit hard to pin down the tone this run's going for, because it's very different from the first arc tonally. I enjoyed that it didn't need to be high stakes resulting in a death that gets retconned in less than 100 issues, you get Spidey having some good moments with some of his greatest foes but the intentional omission of MJ amongst the biggest turnout of supporting characters in ages is a little depressing. I don't know if I see yet how Felicia's change of heart regarding pursuing Peter makes sense given she pretty much laid out in Beyond she knows MJ is the one for Peter at the end of the day, but who knows. I guess everybody in-universe just figures she's randomly settled into her random magic family life now and has moved on and there's nothing else to be said. Doesn't feel monumentous with all the weird lingering background goings on but for the most part it was a fun adventure story, but again this run so far is confounding me with what it's trying to do.

The Jimmy Kimmel story was pointless to stick in here, I don't understand why it needed to exist at all.
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 07-27-2022 at 05:45 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Well...Peter knows Flash is back. And Felecia and Bobbi have met. Those were some fun moments.

But overall not that amazing of a story.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Well...Peter knows Flash is back. And Felecia and Bobbi have met. Those were some fun moments.

But overall not that amazing of a story.
    At least, but yeah. Not gonna completely throw out the baby with the bathwater, proverbially speaking, but omitting Mary Jane . . . was a choice, to say the least, although some people in the Spider-Office, judging by the recorded convo after the end of the main story, still seem to understand and respect her importance to the mythos and the character of Spider-Man. Pat Gleason, particularly, gets mad respect from me for addressing her as "Mrs. Mary Jane Watson-Parker."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    At least, but yeah. Not gonna completely throw out the baby with the bathwater, proverbially speaking, but omitting Mary Jane . . . was a choice, to say the least, although some people in the Spider-Office, judging by the recorded convo after the end of the main story, still seem to understand and respect her importance to the mythos and the character of Spider-Man. Pat Gleason, particularly, gets mad respect from me for addressing her as "Mrs. Mary Jane Watson-Parker."
    It's like the end of OMD all over again with MJ leaving the party when Peter got there, except there she actually showed up and reminded readers that there was some sort of problem with the two of them and more to be said eventually. Here they kinda just remember to even mention her if you're lucky after 4 issues. The joys of decompressed storytelling where you'll get slight incremental advances to the mystery plot if you're lucky for every trade collection.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

It was a fun issue but definitely not what a milestone should be. Every issue in the last few moments of Spencer’s run had more impact than this. Marvel seems to keep on forgetting that Kraven is a clone as they haven’t addressed it since, which begs the question why Kraven was killed again in the first place. I was wishing for an emotional Flash reunion, especially since he now knows Pete is Spidey. Also, a Jimmy Kimmel story?? Really? I thought the main stories had some strong points but not enough was taken seriously, I liked the two side stories that weren’t the Kimmel one, but I thought this would start to give us answers on the 6 month mystery that has been building for a while, especially since this issue’s premise has been teased since the beginning of the run. So is this what was meant by Ock was the only one who wanted to see Peter as teased in the solicitations? Or is that for a future storyline relating to the six months mystery? I’ve been enjoying this run compared to most, but I just feel such a huge milestone issue shouldn’t have felt like an annual instead of issue 900.

Astonishing Member

I also found it weird Wells didn't answer when asked "Gwen or MJ?" in the q&a thing in the back.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I also found it weird Wells didn't answer when asked "Gwen or MJ?" in the q&a thing in the back.
    Maybe he doesn't want to confirm people's suspicions or something like that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

Or because his answer is "Felicia!" LOL.

Shippers are dangerous in any fandom
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Just finished the issue, I thought this was pretty great honestly.

Most of the complaints im seeing are about shipping but that splash with Peter being with the S6 is legendary. Great att all around, fun classic style story about why this guy is special even to a young mind.

And I've always liked Black Cat as a love interest so I've got no problem here.