Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    LOL WUT?

Not even close to reality.

It's been demonstrated throughout the majority of adaptations and continuities, even during the post-OMD era, that MJ is the one for Peter, all roads lead back to her.

It made sense for the story. Gwen told MJ she considered Peter her little superhero brother earlier in the run, Bendis had the sense to have characters call her and Peter out on the relationship because of that. They tried making it work, but Peter ultimately kept confiding more in MJ than the others. They got over their break-up relatively quickly and didn't think about it again, indicating it was just a passing phase. This was never going to be a CW Barry/Iris situation here.
    Again, you're not telling me anything new. I read the entire series as it came out. I was just mentioning it as an aside, not to get into a whole off-topic thing with you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Again, you're not telling me anything new. I read the entire series as it came out. I was just mentioning it as an aside, not to get into a whole off-topic thing with you.
    Yes, we get it, you preferred Ultimate Gwen to MJ. I was simply outlining to you why it was gross

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    One of the biggest problems with OMD is that it permanently shifted the discussion away from the stories to the behind the scenes politics.
    To be fair, JQ and JMS interview in Wizard pre-OMD and the post OMD JMS interviews added a lot of fuel to that fire

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Sure, good stories create emotional bonds, but I'd argue that no story, regardless of quality, can function as a replacement for the way readers connected with Pete/MJ.

It's not like Spider-Man comics have been bad post OMD, quite the opposite, the quality is still very much there. The problem is that whatever the creative teams accomplish they're essentially doing with one hand tied behind their back.

But that's just my perspective, of course. I know there are fans who connect with the post OMD status quo more.
    I agree you can pick some stories that were good post OMD ( MJ/Felicia, Gibbon, ASM 800-801, Ends of the Earth, RYV, Spider-Island and Life Story to name a few), but you also get: Silk, Beyond, Stacy Twins, Alpha, Peter as a “Man-Child” and of course Peter as a “Damsel In Distress” to name a few).

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Pretty fun story although it feels a bit out of place considering the stuff from Beyond to last issue. 700 is still my fav from the 100s I've read on release.

8/10 but 2/10 once you get to the Jimmy Kimmel ass-kissing part. Why the hell was he drawn like Karl Urban on The Boys?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The fact of the matter is Marvel has no ideas for what to do with Spider-Man except troll Peter x MJ shippers. It's been like that since OMD, with only Spencer trying to actually legitimately not do that until his run imploded (either due to editorial interference or not).

Hire a BND writer, get that same tired BND mentality.
    This captures my feelings perfectly. I don't know why I keep buying this comic sometimes. After some great moments from Spencer this run just pulls the rug up again...

Some things I liked about the issue some things I did not. I am still not sure where they are going from here.

I feel like Marvel is just not satisfying Spidey fans anymore. I am just use to it by now. I keep reading and sometime I am not sure why.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

BANNED

I just generally read in a watch the world burn capacity. It's not canon to me. Peter's story ended in Spider-Girl.

Incredible Member

I hope it's beyond wishful thinking, but hoping the thing with Felicia was just a birthday kiss and nothing more. Also the final words ("we're done here...") could be read in the context the moment...

With what McKay is doing with Felicia, I want her far away from Peter. Leave her in her own little corner/world, with the occassional guest stars.

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    Some things I liked about the issue some things I did not. I am still not sure where they are going from here.

I feel like Marvel is just not satisfying Spidey fans anymore. I am just use to it by now. I keep reading and sometime I am not sure why.
    I remember back when OMD was released and what I was afraid of back then is that marvel would, by sheer persistence, erase MJ from any sort of prominence. But they didn’t.

Instead of setting some bold direction that the marriage in some mysterious way would have stopped them from they just kept going. New girlfriends came and went without getting any traction. Felicia was made evil. MJ came back for Spencer’s run.

One could say that they tried things but nothing really left a mark. The way the title is run nothing is allowed to leave a mark. Spider-verse. Spock. All of these things might exist but they don’t affect the title. They are AU characters. In the time spent since OMD all we really have to show for it are AU characters and Silk.

So my point isn’t that OMD sucked or the way they treat MJ. It is that they have limited themselves in so many ways that they can’t really do anything long term. They can’t commit to MJ or discard her. Aunt May is still here, mostly being used to either support a Peter or to give him guilt. The rest of the characters come and go with no great impact. Harry is dead again. Flash is back without any fanfare.

If they don’t change something we will get more of this. Same old stories and if anything really happens it will be for AU characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I remember back when OMD was released and what I was afraid of back then is that marvel would, by sheer persistence, erase MJ from any sort of prominence. But they didn’t.

Instead of setting some bold direction that the marriage in some mysterious way would have stopped them from they just kept going. New girlfriends came and went without getting any traction. Felicia was made evil. MJ came back for Spencer’s run.

One could say that they tried things but nothing really left a mark. The way the title is run nothing is allowed to leave a mark. Spider-verse. Spock. All of these things might exist but they don’t affect the title. They are AU characters. In the time spent since OMD all we really have to show for it are AU characters and Silk.

So my point isn’t that OMD sucked or the way they treat MJ. It is that they have limited themselves in so many ways that they can’t really do anything long term. They can’t commit to MJ or discard her. Aunt May is still here, mostly being used to either support a Peter or to give him guilt. The rest of the characters come and go with no great impact. Harry is dead again. Flash is back without any fanfare.

If they don’t change something we will get more of this. Same old stories and if anything really happens it will be for AU characters.
    I agree with all of this.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

I just kept waiting for someone to wake up from a dream in the story or a simulation. That's the best way i can describe this issue.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post

Sadly . . . more accurate an assessment than I'd like it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I just kept waiting for someone to wake up from a dream in the story or a simulation. That's the best way i can describe this issue.
    The new Living Brain would actually be perfect for creating a VR-based simulation in its efforts to better "understand" Spider-Man and its creator's obsession with the web-slinger.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Sadly . . . more accurate an assessment than I'd like it to be.

The new Living Brain would actually be perfect for creating a VR-based simulation in its efforts to better "understand" Spider-Man and its creator's obsession with the web-slinger.
    Yeah that's really where i thought it was going. I guess i'm still just confused it was so jarring i don't know. I look forward to issue 7 still but something was just off here. The whole energy was different than the first 5. It also felt a tad condescending. I really thought it was going to be a simulation i literally said to myself like three times while reading "this is a sim. it has to be, right?" something is just off here.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

My feeling about this issue was something along the lines of Lowe telling Wells "Hey Zeb, Spencer left ....a little abruptly.....and he took his script for our big issue 900 with him...we have all the artists lined up waiting for direction so maybe take the weekend and came up with something....we kind of really need it by Monday..."

The result was this forgettable issue, although the kiss at the end made up for alot with me...

Agree the back-ups, with the exception of the Kimmel drivel were pretty good. Lowe has overstayed his usefulness on the title, should have been gone long ago..