Page 235 of 243 FirstFirst ... 135185225231232233234235236237238239 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,525 of 3638
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    MMA legalized in New York State.

Check and Mate, Mr. McMahon.

We win.
    IF you consider MMA to be competition for Pro-WRestling then UFC has been winning for quite a while in terms of revenue.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Nuke View Post
    IF you consider MMA to be competition for Pro-WRestling then UFC has been winning for quite a while in terms of revenue.
    I don't consider Pro-Wrestling competition to MMA as it is one of MMA's pillars. They are in "competition" with Sports Entertainment.

And while has been somewhat beating then financially, they still have a large public perception problem. MMA should be the natural rival to Boxing, but due to the pro-Boxing Bullshido that's running thick within the white collar of major media, the Fertitas find themselves to be in a one man pissing contest with WWE on the constant.

MMA is pretty much bottom barrel in terms of combat sports in the sports media eyes.
    Last edited by Royal; 05-18-2016 at 07:28 AM.
    INGOBERNABLES de INTER-WEB

Mighty Member

Wade Keller

"There's a lot of consternation behind the scenes with Hunter Johnston and the way that he is booking and almost this casual, steady, slow and steady wins the race as far as booking goes that is frustrating some of the talent right now. I think his booking is taking a bigger hit because on a personal level there's people who feel that he's playing favourites and he is not engaged in communication with talent, and so I think some of his booking maybe is getting an even worse rap because of it. But I think that there are people within the company who are now very critical of him because there is a feeling that his presence is a little toxic right now to morale. It seems like something that he isn't addressing or feels he needs to address and that's where Joe Koff comes in. But the feeling is that he's burnt out and he's just riding this out and not communicating or acknowledging what isn't right as far as ROH goes."
    DA MELTZ

"There is some frustration with Hunter as booker because he's sometimes difficult to get in touch with, and sometimes he changes plans (nothing like WWE which does it weekly) but when he does, if a guy getting a title doesn't, of course he's going to be mad. There was an issue with people on the low end of the card needing take after take on doing promos and high card guys who could nail it on the first try were waiting for them to not get it right.

There is the obvious second guessing of how often they use the New Japan guys. I think it's too much, especially because they come across as the bigger stars. But the argument is that the New Japan connection has led to this being the biggest year by far in company history, even with losing AJ [Styles] & [Shinsuke] Nakamura, as gates and merch are both usually up even on shows without the New Japan guys right now. I saw [Jim] Cornette do that in SMW and while it wasn't the reason for its decline, I warned him as soon as he did it and it was a factor in the sense the crowds in his biggest markets stopped coming unless WWE guys were on the show, whereas before when there were no WWE guys, his guys alone were enough to draw."

BANNED

MMA is pretty much bottom barrel in terms of combat sports in the sports media eyes.
    I disagree vehemently, I understand some MMA fans have a persecution complex about their perception, but thats simply not true

Fox Sports has thrown its full weight behind the UFC, giving it air time on FS1 and Fox for their UFC Fight Night Specials and TUF, ESPN now has a couple MMA analysts on the payroll and cover big UFC events, and they have also been showing kickboxing and some other combat sports on ESPN3 and their other digital platforms, usually with a re-air on ESPN2

zack sabre jr is out with an injury and won't be at PWG's next show PRINCE but replacing him will be kamaitachi!!!! HOLY **** that's awesome and i hope he becomes at least a semi regular in the future before he goes back to japan.

for those not familiar kamaitachi was a NJPW young boy(and younger brother of yujiro takahashi) that they sent to mexico and like so many before him just improved a **** ton. i don't know what it is about mexico, can't be in the water, but when NJPW sends their guys down there magic happens. must be the frijoles.

Mighty Member

So...like...when do we get to call Kody Rhodes bitter?

BANNED

So...like...when do we get to call Kody Rhodes bitter?
    we don't

He stated why he asked for the release, the WWE may have missed the boat with him but that's nothing new

and in retrospect, his dad didn't need the WWE to become a HUGE name

Cody will succeed, it will just be elsewhere

SI did a Q & A with Tanahashi. It was pretty good (you might have to scroll down a bit):

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016...t-seth-rollins

SI.com: Who is your favorite wrestler?

Tanahashi: When I became a wrestler, I watched Shawn Michaels every night I could. I love Shawn Michaels’s style. Someone once called me the “Japanese Shawn Michaels,” and I was proud to hear that. I’d be too nervous to wrestle him.

SI.com: What do you think of Shinsuke Nakamura leaving New Japan for WWE? And would you ever consider leaving for WWE?

Tanahashi: I’m glad to see Nakamura in WWE. I’m proud of Nakamura, but I love New Japan. New Japan helped me, always. I love New Japan.

SI.com: What are your goals for 2016?

Tanahashi: I hope to become Ring of Honor world champion.
    If I get the opportunity to become champion, then I’ll come back to the United States every month and wrestle. Soon, I will also challenge [IWGP heavyweight champion] Naito. Unlike Naito, I respect the IWGP championship belt. For now, I am focused on Kenny Omega.

SI.com: Your June 19 encounter with Kenny Omega at Dominion in Osaka in New Japan’s first ever ladder match. How are you preparing?

Tanahashi: I’ve watched Shawn Michaels’ ladder match against Razor Ramon for inspiration.
    Now I fight against Omega in a ladder match in Osaka in a date for the Intercontinental title. Sometimes, Kenny Omega uses second and third members from Bullet Club. But this June, I’m going to beat all of Bullet Club. I wish I had Shawn Michaels in my corner.

SI.com: How is your shoulder? Will you be able to perform against Omega at full strength?

Tanahashi: Pro wrestling is a fight. Sometimes, it is entertainment but deeper than that, it is fighting. I have fought many times, many long matches. I have even been hurt by Kenny Omega. I may be hurt, but I’ll be OK–but I’m never tired.
    I bolded the interesting parts. I think it's funny that a description a lot of CBR puro lovers (and other puro lovers) is a legit compliment to his ears.

Tanahashi is a HBK mark! Now I want to see him and Jericho go toe-to-toe with HBK as ref. Or on a pole.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-02-2016 at 01:56 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

hey i called him the japanese HBK when others referred to him as the japanese cena. i used to think of him and nakamura(before shinsuke transformed into swagsuke) as the HBK and hitman of their generation.

i think tanahashi is actually better than HBK in his prime, he doesn't have that selfishness holding him back.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    hey i called him the japanese HBK when others referred to him as the japanese cena. i used to think of him and nakamura(before shinsuke transformed into swagsuke) as the HBK and hitman of their generation.

i think tanahashi is actually better than HBK in his prime, he doesn't have that selfishness holding him back.
    I like that description that you used better than Japanese Cena. I'm glad it is sticking.

Apparently Naka is a Hart Foundation mark, btw.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I like that description that you used better than Japanese Cena. I'm glad it is sticking.

Apparently Naka is a Hart Foundation mark, btw.
    oh ****, that's awesome.

i have some serious mixed emotions about a ladder match in NJPW. i mean the thought of tanahashi vs kenny omega in a ladder match is pretty awesome and something you'd xpect to see only in a video game, but when you realize it's actually going to happen in a NJPW ring...idk. i guess i shouldn't judge because i'm not actively watching the current product but it seems like NJPW is becoming too americanized.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    we don't

He stated why he asked for the release, the WWE may have missed the boat with him but that's nothing new

and in retrospect, his dad didn't need the WWE to become a HUGE name

Cody will succeed, it will just be elsewhere
    there are a lot of people who won't consider it success if it happens elsewhere. you know the type who feel if it didn't happen in the WWE it doesn't matter.

cody's already been annouced as a participant in PWG's BOLA this year, speaking of PWG here's the card for THIRTEEN(anniversary)
    Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Kyle O'Reilly (PWG World Title)

The Young Bucks vs. Death By Elbow

Roderick Strong vs. Timothy Thatcher

Adam Cole vs. Tommy End

Marty Scurll vs. Sami Callihan

Trevor Lee vs. Jeff Cobb

Chuck Taylor vs. Trent?
    good to see a tag title defense, hell good to see a tag match period. tag wrestlings been pretty much dead in PWG the last few months. i'm pumped for every match on that card aside from chuck vs trent? not that it will suck or anything it just doesn't xcite me like the other matches.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    oh ****, that's awesome.

i have some serious mixed emotions about a ladder match in NJPW. i mean the thought of tanahashi vs kenny omega in a ladder match is pretty awesome and something you'd xpect to see only in a video game, but when you realize it's actually going to happen in a NJPW ring...idk. i guess i shouldn't judge because i'm not actively watching the current product but it seems like NJPW is becoming too americanized.
    I think in New Japan and to its fans, gimmicks means something still. Whether they be for a person, match, or whatever.

Mighty Member

Brock's opponent, Mark Hunt.

This is too awesome!

Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus