Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Actually Thor sold BETTER under Jane for a good long time and has improved since Odinson came back.

Excluding Bruce Banner-Odinson, Tony, Logan, Peter & Steve were around in some form.

Where were all these FITS being thrown when Doom was calling himself Ironman (Riri wasn't).
    Winter Soldier as Cap America?
    Dr Oct as Spider Man?

Well when Marvel and DC have TRIED original diverse characters -who are the FIRST folks to throw fits about it?

Who are the first to look for any and all excuses to NOT try or read those books?
    Who are the first to THROW blame on sales or their favorites NOT getting page time? Rogue fans HATED Synch in that X-Men book.
    Who screams these books should NOT exist?
    The sales of Aaron's thor run (the first 8 issues or so before events and relaunches interrupted it) did do very well

It's multiple restarts helped in places (as is marvels want)

But overall it's not that big a difference

Comics by perch (think of the channel what you will) has a very sound data summary

Astonishing Member

As for doom being a more well received temporary replacement, he's a hugely loved as a villain with a lot of mythos and back story

People like him more than sone might think

And at no point does anyone expect a villain to stay around for long as the lead

Doom is s good example of this very fact,

nor was he ever written as being the best version of an iron man, as has happened with some temporary replacement runs in the not too distant past

Some fans will always dislike a change because too often it means they lose something they love, change always has wins and loses

With Thor as the example selected, I myself lost patience with the whole unworthyness aspect, I didn't mind someone else borrowing the hammer for a while, I was sort of ok during the Eric run, but I did get very tired of the down trodden, depressed, self loathing Thor we got during aarons period, who at times came across as a buffoon rather than the stoic and determined character I had read for years

In many ways written like the avengers under siege period hercules

And I was disappointed that the temporary Thor wasn't Amora, which was an idea I was much more a fan of
    Last edited by kilderkin; 08-07-2022 at 05:07 PM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Thor - Thunderstrike

Steve Rogers Cap - John Walker Cap

Tony Stark Iron Man - James Rhodes Iron Man

All of these changes were in the late 80's - early 90s, way before 2014.

Peter Parker got replaced by Ben Reilly in the mid 90s.

So, characters being changed is nothing new.
    Apart from Rhodes, they were all unpopular choices, and weren't all at the same time.

Astonishing Member

You wanna see what harms sales, look at cw2

Across company drop

Apart from Rhodes, they were all unpopular choices, and weren't all at the same time.
    Eric thor sold well from what i heard. That's why he was there as thor for so long.

With Thor as the example selected, I myself lost patience with the whole unworthyness aspect, I didn't mind someone else borrowing the hammer for a while, I was sort of ok during the Eric run, but I did get very tired of the down trodden, depressed, self loathing Thor we got during aarons period, who at times came across as a buffoon rather than the stoic and determined character I had read for years
    Kind of liked eric as thor myself. Also, him making friends with absorbing man was a nice twist. Absorbing man and titana going to his funeral and even telling thor "he was a better thor then you" was a pretty powerful scene.

Future thor in thor corps calling eric a slacker the full mini series only to find out eric was about to die soon at the end was another powerful moment and huge foreshadowing.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 08-08-2022 at 05:23 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Eric thor sold well from what i heard. That's why he was there as thor for so long.

Kind of liked eric as thor myself. Also, him making friends with absorbing man was a nice twist. Absorbing man and titana going to his funeral and even telling thor "he was a better thor then you" was a pretty powerful scene.

Future thor in thor corps calling eric a slacker the full mini series only to find out eric was about to die soon at the end was another powerful moment and huge foreshadowing.
    The thing about the Eric period for me wasn't so much Eric as marvel as a whole was very infinity heavy at the time

Especially with crossovers

By and large Eric was a decent concept merging the two characters then having him carry it for a while as I felt actual Thor was in no way downtrodden to do this, unlike Aaron's period (or for much of it at least imo)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Don't make the mistake of thinking that knowing better makes you better.
    ........hold my beer.........lololololololooololololololololololol ololololololololololololololololololololololololol olololololololololololololol.....deep breath...

bc wow is that some heady projection about how you feel about yourself when you post your opinion and thoughts...

I WAS going to learn from last time i checked and respond to the ones I respond to in a single reply...but THIS comment....woof...

And please name a Well Known Comic Book Character that died for months and was brought back prior to 1993...(not named Jean Grey and even she was unknown outside of comic readers, Superman was known)....and whose "Death" (in a Comic) was National News...literally.

THIS is What DC USED to be...
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

I tripped over a perfect example of DC/WB failing to see talent within their own Corporate Structure.

Zeb Wells....he has been contributing to Marvel since the early 00s, while also being a writer/producer/director on Robot Chicken...to say he is a PERFECT example of the fumbling with DC Editors and Talent Acquisition since the 00s, nothing else will.

He has 269 contributions to Marvel and 0 to DC...and is currently the head writer on Amazing Spider-Man where he honestly is trying something different which is starting to get interesting after 5 issues that honestly were tough to read until the turn of issue 5...which was pretty damn good tbh.......but he did help write the Robot Chicken DC Specials...lol

I just find all of this fascinating.

Esp now that Discovery appears ready for Synergy between the DC line....which honestly should terrify us all simply based on what is going on with Animation at WB the past 2 months...here is hoping Zaslav is shown the door sooner rather than later by the BoD...especially since Appearances Matter to Stock Price....since that is the world we live in...

Bibliography: https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/peopl...b-wells/comics
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    In many ways written like the avengers under siege period hercules
    Exactly! I hated Hercules after that. He was so arrogant, conceited, and just a plain jerk. I was actually glad when Goliath beat the living crap out of his drunk ass. It will be centuries before he can brag about how tough he is again. At least Thor fought Goliath smart and kept his distance. Aaron just took Hercules and put him in Thor’s body. Well almost. Even Aaron’s jobber Thor wasn’t as insufferable as Hercules.