Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default From your early days buying comics

Who were your favorite artists? I had four and they all had very different styles:

George Perez
    John Byrne
    Gene Colan
    Don Newton

Who were yours?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Byrne and Perez for sure. Also I fell in love with Pat Brodericks art when he was doing Micronauts. Another that I always loved was Paul Smith. He was only on the X-Men for less than a year (165-175), but my god his art was fantastic. I wish Marvel had tied him down and given him a 5 year run it was so good.

My absolute favourite artist of all time is Jack Kirby.
    Other favourites were Gene Colan, John Buscema, John Byrne, George Perez, Mike Grell, Keith Giffen and Alan Davis.

Extraordinary Member

Dick Dillin from Justice League of America during the 70s.

Mighty Member

The first writer I ever remember the name of was Brian Michael Bendis. Seeing how Ultimate Spider-Man was the first book I got on a regular basis, I would remember his name on New Avengers. Both were favourites of mine (although after Secret Invasion, NA wasn't as good).
    Mark Millar was also another favourite of mine. I loved his Spider-man and Enemy of the State books and I still enjoy Civil War. My opinion of him has lessoned a bit, I still enjoy going back and reading his stuff, but there's a big disclaimer there.

Obviously Bagley would be a favourite artist, and I consider him to be the best Spider-Man artist. Every time he does that character, it feels ultra special.

I know this question was posted in the DC thread, but my answer is Billy Graham. He drew a large chunk of "Panther's Rage." And beautifully. Baron Macabre, King Cadaver, Killmonger.

Oh, and while I am at it, going back to the 1950s, Joe Maneely. Died too soon. If he hadn't, I truly believe people now would be saying "who is Jack Kirby?" Maneely was so much better than Kirby, artistically. YMMV.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Jim Aparo was the first artist I noticed who I actively sought out. The man could draw anything.
    Norm Breyfogle was another.

Then a little later I discovered Neal Adams, George Perez, Jack Kirby etc when I started back issue diving.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Sienkiewicz (New Mutants), Cowan (Power Man & Iron Fist), and Jones (Micronauts: TNV).
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Retired

I didn't get into super-hero comics until I was an old man of seven. Before that it was a lot of kid humour comics and one didn't know the names of most artists or writers back then. The ones I did know were Charles M. Schulz and Sheldon Mayer, N.C.S., because they signed their work.

The super-heroes I first read were mainly Batman and Superman--and the other heroes that appeared in their comics. For me the big one was Carmine Infantino. His name was often on the covers and I recognized his style and learned to draw like him. I found the names of other artists from reading the letter columns. But truthfully, I didn't know the names of them right off the bat, I only recognized the differences between one nameless artist and another.

For instance, I sometimes liked the art that was signed "Bob Kane"--even though it was inconsistent and not as slick as Carmine Infantino--but it took me years, decades even, to know who actually drew those panels.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Tom Grummett on Superman, The New Titans, Robin, Superboy. He still is one of my favorite.

As a kid in the 70s, it was George Perez and Jim Starlin for me.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Jim Aparo was the first artist I noticed who I actively sought out. The man could draw anything.
    Norm Breyfogle was another.

Then a little later I discovered Neal Adams, George Perez, Jack Kirby etc when I started back issue diving.
    Jim Aparo in Batman and the Outsiders. Jose Louise Garcia Lopez drew a great Batman comics.

John Byrne 4ever. Neal Adams, Georger Perez.

Never been a fan of Kirby. Yes, I know its blasphemy, but without Stan he couldn't write a good story and his art was meh for me. At least in his beginnings, later on he got better and better and drew some good stuff.

Soooo many possible choices!

Three that come to mind immediately are Byrne, Perez, and Aragones…:

As a kid I could stare at their artwork for hours on end.

Definitely, these would be My Top (3) Three choices...

Ross Andru

Neal Adams

George Pérez

Last edited by K7P5V; 07-29-2022 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Definitely, these would be My Next Top (3) Three choices...

José Luis García-López/Dick Giordano

Carmine Infantino

Gene Colan
    Last edited by K7P5V; 07-30-2022 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.