Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

In no particular order: Jim Aparo, Norm Breyfogle, Greg LaRocque, George Perez, Walt Simonson, John Byrne, Dan Jurgens, Tom Grummett, Jerry Ordway, Jon Bogdanove, Brian Bolland, Graham Nolan, Eduardo Barretto, Jose-Luis Garcia-Lopez, Kerry Gammil, Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Mark Bagley, Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird, Dough Mankhe, Matt Wagner, Art Thibert, Ron Wagner.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I forgot Ron Lim. To me he drew the best Silver Surfer ever period, but his art always caught my eye no matter what he was on.

No thread would be complete with the great Art Adams either. He doesn't do a lot but what he does is always amazing.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I'm in the old guys camp so my list goes back a bit. I remember falling in love with Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez's drawings early on, same for Dick Dillin. I remember picking up a copy of Adventure Comics digest (491 or 492) and falling head over heels in love with Alex Toth's Black Canary, that was the first time I consciously acknowledged his work and began to look out for it. You can imagine my joy and surprise when I would stumble across it attached to some of my favorite Saturday morning cartoons. George Perez, Mike Grell, John Byrne, Bob Hall, Joe Staton and Wally Wood were others that I remember standing out to me around that time as well.

The first artists that really pulled me in when I started reading comics and made me want to find more of their work were Mike Wieringo on The Flash and Robin, and Joe Madureira on Uncanny X-Men.

Although it was before my time a little bit, my dad had a bunch of posters, postcards and promo stuff for DC with José Luis García-López artwork and that's probably why he's always been the definitive DC artist to me.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I forgot Ron Lim. To me he drew the best Silver Surfer ever period, but his art always caught my eye no matter what he was on.
    In agreement with you about the Ron Lim version of Silver Surfer,
    but don't forget about the Ron Lim version of Thanos (which is an all-time favorite):

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

No thread would be complete with the great Art Adams either. He doesn't do a lot but what he does is always amazing.
    Can't believe I forgot those guys! Both were among the first artists I discovered and began to follow when I started reading in '88.

Definitely, these would be My Next Top (3) Three choices...

Tuska/Alcala

John Buscema

Frank Miller

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-02-2022 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Incredible Member

Kirby
    Swan
    Byrne
    Perez
    Giffen

In my early days, I was too young to take note of specific artists - I just loved them all! But once I got a bit older and actually started taking notice, it was:
    -- Michael Golden
    -- John Byrne
    -- Paul Smith
    -- Art Adams
    -- Keith Giffen
    -- Rick Leonardi
    -- Bill Sienkiewicz
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-02-2022 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Who were your favorite artists? I had four and they all had very different styles:

George Perez
    John Byrne
    Gene Colan
    Don Newton

Who were yours?
    I was born in the second half of he 90s and, though I got into comics even before knowing how to read, with Asterix, Tintin, DC and Marvel, I can't remember my favorite artist, if I had any, up until I was nine years old, when I watched Sin City and 300, the movies. Soon, I got the comicbooks and turned into a big Frank Miller fan for many years. I loved his writing, and his art in Sin City was near perfection in my mind.

I was also a big fan of Jim Lee, so when I found a comicbook called ALL STAR BATMAN & ROBIN (I must've been 13 or 14 years old) it was a dream come true. I think that story ended my Frank Miller and Jim Lee fever
    Last edited by Chubistian; 08-02-2022 at 06:42 AM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH