Default Comic Convention Etiquette ?

Hey there...was wondering a few things about comic book convention etiquette. What I mean is for example if your in line to see a writer or artist to get a signature like how many books or posters do you have them sign? I use to go to a lot of cons. I have been to San Diego 4 times. I have been to many from all over the country. The problem is I have not been to one now going on 9 years. The last one was San Diego in 2013.

I am bringing my son to some what of a big one this Saturday. Many writers, creators and artists will be for. John Romita Jr, Gerry Conway, Dan Jugens, Ordway and many many others. So if I am going to go up to Gerry Conway and I have my 7 year old son. We both bought tickets. Now I am like a GIANT Punisher fan but I only think I have met Conway like 2 times and that was years ago. So this is a big deal this time. Now do I have him sign 2-3 books and a poster and a Spidey #129 canvas? Is that too much? To little? It is two fans it it is me and and son. Same goes for the rest. 2-3 books? More? 4-5? Too much?! I honestly forget. There is two of us as fans.

I do not want to hold up any lines, I do not want to throw more than I should at any writer, creator or artist. I just dont want to be "that guy".

Let me know what you think or what your experiences are.

Throw out other things here. Like how many times do you keep going back in line to get the same writer or artist signature or photo again? Should go go in line again? Do people get upset (I have seen it first hand) do writer or artists get upset.

Let me know. Thanks for any feedback in here.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

BANNED

2-3 is fine. You start getting up to 8-10, probably going to get (and deserve) dirty looks, though getting in line multiple times would be a good workaround (if you have the time).

Other things (for those who haven't been to as many as you have):

Don't take photos of people without asking (cosplay is cool, but randos taking pics is creepy).

Hygiene is important always, but especially in close quarters with strangers.

If there are posted prices for autographs that's probably firm, but on everything else (comics, statues, toys, other merch) you should try to dicker/negotiate. Offer to buy multiple items for a deal. I felt weird doing it at first, but it's expected. They may say no, but you may be surprised.

Bring a bottle of water, or something to drink. I like to bring something to snack on as well (prices are insane inside, and lines) like prepackaged PB crackers or fruit.

There are going to be lines (especially to get in), and you're going to have to wait for some things. Make peace with that, less awful now that we have phones.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    Hey there...was wondering a few things about comic book convention etiquette. What I mean is for example if your in line to see a writer or artist to get a signature like how many books or posters do you have them sign? I use to go to a lot of cons. I have been to San Diego 4 times. I have been to many from all over the country. The problem is I have not been to one now going on 9 years. The last one was San Diego in 2013.

I am bringing my son to some what of a big one this Saturday. Many writers, creators and artists will be for. John Romita Jr, Gerry Conway, Dan Jugens, Ordway and many many others. So if I am going to go up to Gerry Conway and I have my 7 year old son. We both bought tickets. Now I am like a GIANT Punisher fan but I only think I have met Conway like 2 times and that was years ago. So this is a big deal this time. Now do I have him sign 2-3 books and a poster and a Spidey #129 canvas? Is that too much? To little? It is two fans it it is me and and son. Same goes for the rest. 2-3 books? More? 4-5? Too much?! I honestly forget. There is two of us as fans.

I do not want to hold up any lines, I do not want to throw more than I should at any writer, creator or artist. I just dont want to be "that guy".

Let me know what you think or what your experiences are.

Throw out other things here. Like how many times do you keep going back in line to get the same writer or artist signature or photo again? Should go go in line again? Do people get upset (I have seen it first hand) do writer or artists get upset.

Let me know. Thanks for any feedback in here.
    I think five items, especially between two people is fine. If it's too much, for whatever reason, some creators will tell you to get back in line.

Have a good time!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    2-3 is fine. You start getting up to 8-10, probably going to get (and deserve) dirty looks, though getting in line multiple times would be a good workaround (if you have the time).

Other things (for those who haven't been to as many as you have):

Don't take photos of people without asking (cosplay is cool, but randos taking pics is creepy).

Hygiene is important always, but especially in close quarters with strangers.

If there are posted prices for autographs that's probably firm, but on everything else (comics, statues, toys, other merch) you should try to dicker/negotiate. Offer to buy multiple items for a deal. I felt weird doing it at first, but it's expected. They may say no, but you may be surprised.

Bring a bottle of water, or something to drink. I like to bring something to snack on as well (prices are insane inside, and lines) like prepackaged PB crackers or fruit.

There are going to be lines (especially to get in), and you're going to have to wait for some things. Make peace with that, less awful now that we have phones.
    This is all perfect. Thank you.

Water and snacks is a must.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime