Default Book Club Selections

I think the inaugural book club entry did well. We went with the first volume of Alan Moore's Saga of the Swamp Thing for the month of July.

And August is coming.

My recommendation would be to spend the next few days coming up with selections. You could pick a runner-up from last time, or suggest something else.

Then we can post a poll early next week.

One question is about how long we want the book we're discussing to be. Do you guys want to go with a standard graphic novel length (4-12 regular sized issues; Batman: Year One on the shorter end and Watchmen on the longer end)? Or would you be open to something omnibus length?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I think an omnibus might be a bit much for one month's discussion. Something the size of an Epic collection might be doable.

So I have three I will nominate for August, one Marvel, one DC, one indy...

1. The Twelve (Marvel) by J.Michael Straczynski and Chris Weston

2. The Kents by John Ostrander (with Tim Truman, Tom Mandrake and Michael Bair)

3. The Adventures of Luther Arkwright by Bryan Talbot

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Thanks for starting this up Mets!

For my suggestion I'd go with Hellboy: The Chained Coffin and Others. I'm in a horror mood and this Hellboy collection has some of my favorite(and best) Hellboy short stories. It's the perfect collection to revisit for both long time fans as it's a list of nostalgic greatest hits but also a great place to start for new readers as these shorts really give you a great feel for Mike Mignola's world.

I'd also put forward Batmanga again from last month as there seemed to be a lot of interest in that(it very nearly won!)
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

1. Miracle Man “A Dream of Flying” Alan Moore and Gary Leach
    2. Stormwatch “Lightning Strikes”. Warren Ellis Tom Raney
    3. “Battling Boy” Paul Pope

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I'm not too keen on reading an entire omnibus ... unless it's a short one.

In order of preference if you have to leave something off the poll.

1.) The Metabarons by Alejandro Jodorowsky

2.) X-Force / X-Statix by Milligan and Allred
    I'm not sure which one is considered the best one, but I'd like to read at least one / or maybe two trades. Maybe the one in red?

X-Force: Famous, Mutant & Mortal (hardcover, 288 pages, July 2003, ISBN 0-7851-1023-2) collects:
    Volume 1: New Beginnings (collects X-Force #116–120, 128 pages, November 2001, ISBN 0-7851-0819-X)
    Volume 2: Final Chapter (collects X-Force #121–129, 224 pages, November 2002, ISBN 0-7851-1088-7)
    X-Statix:
    Volume 1: Good Omens (collects X-Statix #1–5, Marvel, 2002, ISBN 0-7851-1059-3)
    Volume 2: Good Guys & Bad Guys (collects X-Statix #6–10, Wolverine/Doop #1–2 and X-Men Unlimited #41, Marvel, 2003, ISBN 0-7851-1139-5)
    Volume 3: Back From the Dead (collects X-Statix #11–18, Marvel, 2004, ISBN 0-7851-1140-9)
    Volume 4: X-Statix vs. The Avengers (collects X-Statix #19–26, Marvel, 2004, ISBN 0-7851-1537-4)
    X-Statix Presents: Dead Girl (collects 5-issue limited series, Marvel, 2006, ISBN 0-7851-2031-9)

3.) Kingdom Come by Waid and Ross
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?