Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    Yeah, the relationship was so toxic
    His interpretation of them was slightly toxic, that hasn't always been the case and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is there any specific reason twitter is turning on him? Because of how Batman is written and things seem tense?
    There are a lot of different reasons I've seen online. I don't agree with all of them, but the recurring ones I've seen are:

1) Zdarsky uses "solider" to refer to the members of the bat-family. Twitter didn't really appreciate Bruce calling some of his children his soldiers. May also be related to twitter's aversion to Frank Miller's Batman.

2) Bruce trying to push away the bat-family only for him to realise that he shouldn't is a story that has been done multiple times at this point. People are tired of repeating character arcs.

3) Bat/Cat fans are upset that King's marriage in Batman/Catwoman didn't stick, and that Selina is moving on with Valmont (she isn't, but the initial reaction and indignation has stuck).

4) Yet another run revolving around an OC character. Even if Failsafe turns out to be the best new bat-character in decades, we have such a glut and oversaturation that I don't think anyone would care.

5) Some feel that the bat-family will be "jobbing" a lot (Tim getting shot, Failsafe soloing the entire family) all for Bruce's development and eventual triumph (think Thomas Wayne).

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by km_sus View Post
    There are a lot of different reasons I've seen online. I don't agree with all of them, but the recurring ones I've seen are:

1) Zdarsky uses "solider" to refer to the members of the bat-family. Twitter didn't really appreciate Bruce calling some of his children his soldiers. May also be related to twitter's aversion to Frank Miller's Batman.

2) Bruce trying to push away the bat-family only for him to realise that he shouldn't is a story that has been done multiple times at this point. People are tired of repeating character arcs.

3) Bat/Cat fans are upset that King's marriage in Batman/Catwoman didn't stick, and that Selina is moving on with Valmont (she isn't, but the initial reaction and indignation has stuck).

4) Yet another run revolving around an OC character. Even if Failsafe turns out to be the best new bat-character in decades, we have such a glut and oversaturation that I don't think anyone would care.

5) Some feel that the bat-family will be "jobbing" a lot (Tim getting shot, Failsafe soloing the entire family) all for Bruce's development and eventual triumph (think Thomas Wayne).
    That summed up most of my sentiments to the first issue.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by km_sus View Post
    . . . 5) Some feel that the bat-family will be "jobbing" a lot (Tim getting shot, Failsafe soloing the entire family) all for Bruce's development and eventual triumph (think Thomas Wayne).
    Hell, when Snyder was writing "Death of the Family" back during the New52, you had "the bat-family 'jobbing' a lot" and Bruce didn't even get a triumph over The Joker in the end! Who's to say Zdarsky won't pull one of those this time?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Hell, when Snyder was writing "Death of the Family" back during the New52, you had "the bat-family 'jobbing' a lot" and Bruce didn't even get a triumph over The Joker in the end! Who's to say Zdarsky won't pull one of those this time?
    Didn't Bruce beat Joker in Endgame?

Didn't Bruce beat Joker in Endgame?
    They technically died together in a cave-in
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    They technically died together in a cave-in
    Well, yeah, but he still stopped Joker .

Well, yeah, but he still stopped Joker .
    Death of the Family = 2012

Endgame = 2014

Hard to say Bruce was triumphant over Joker as a result of Death of the Family.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    They look gorgeous, as expected with Jorge.

I wonder if this is going to go on Cass Cain Daily's "worst of all time" list like when Thomas Wayne beat Cass. Sigh.
    Well, Failsafe kicks Batman's ass too, so not too bad Cass losing here.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Death of the Family = 2012

Endgame = 2014

Hard to say Bruce was triumphant over Joker as a result of Death of the Family.
    Well, Joker didn't kills his family (physically), he drove him off for a while, so I'd still call if a victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    His interpretation of them was slightly toxic, that hasn't always been the case and you know it.
    And what does that matter in a discussion about whether or not King's run should be followed?
    The commitment King had in mind for them was build on a toxic foundation and you guys are angry it's not being followed.
    Also? Slightly? You do remember all that talk about depression, suicide and "my life would be ashes without you" right?
    Last edited by Astralabius; 07-31-2022 at 11:01 PM.

Well, Joker didn't kills his family (physically), he drove him off for a while, so I'd still call if a victory.
    I read it more as Joker played with them and then got away without Bruce doing a damn thing to stop him.

Hell, Barbara was whooping Joker's behind in Batgirl until she was forced (primarily for story purposes?) to give in and surrender (I believe because Joker was supposedly holding her mother hostage?).

I read it more as Joker played with them and then got away without Bruce doing a damn thing to stop him.

Hell, Barbara was whooping Joker's behind in Batgirl until she was forced (primarily for story purposes?) to give in and surrender (I believe because Joker was supposedly holding her mother hostage?).
    I mean, Batman basically made Joker run away because he freaked him out with whatever the "secret" Batman whispered into his ears was. It was also another instance of a classic "Joker Death" because he fell off a cliff if I remember right.

I mean, Batman basically made Joker run away because he freaked him out with whatever the "secret" Batman whispered into his ears was. It was also another instance of a classic "Joker Death" because he fell off a cliff if I remember right.
    Went over a waterfall in the caves, but, of course, there was no body to be found, so no guarantee Joker was harmed in the escape.

But, you say "tom-ay-to" and I say "tom-ah-to" . . .

Went over a waterfall in the caves, but, of course, there was no body to be found, so no guarantee Joker was harmed in the escape.

But, you say "tom-ay-to" and I say "tom-ah-to" . . .
    Well, yeah, it's a "Joker Death."